Millenia NSEQ4 or Crane Ibis or CharterOak PEQ.
angel72bg
22nd June 2013
Old 22nd June 2013
Gear Head

Millenia NSEQ4 or Crane Ibis or CharterOak PEQ.

Hi All,
Please help with some advice>
I have got Dangerous Bax Eq also SSL Mynx Bus compressor and Thermionic The Phoenix master compressor.
Now I intend to buy one more Hardware EQ for mastering.
What you think:
Millennia NSEQ4,
CraneSong Ibis,
CharterOak PEQ,
I do not want Massive Passive.
Thank You
23rd June 2013
Old 23rd June 2013
Lives for gear

All of these are amazing eqs. I also have a Bax. I absolutely love the NSEQ4. It's an amazing eq. It has unbalanced out that adds 6db of some of the most beautiful gain to compensate if there are unbalanced kit in the chain. I use it all of the time. But it's butter. Also have a Sontec 250ex and they work amazingly well together. Low mid to hi on NSEQ4 is incredible. Lo end with unbalanced is great but like the low end on the Sontec better.
23rd June 2013
Old 23rd June 2013
Gear maniac
Charter Oak is an incredible unit. In particular the low mid range...

I use it for mastering and it gives good results on everything I try. I am very happy with it.
Ben F
Verified Member
24th June 2013
Old 24th June 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
All of these are amazing eqs. I also have a Bax. I absolutely love the NSEQ4. It's an amazing eq. It has unbalanced out that adds 6db of some of the most beautiful gain to compensate if there are unbalanced kit in the chain. I use it all of the time. But it's butter. Also have a Sontec 250ex and they work amazingly well together. Low mid to hi on NSEQ4 is incredible. Lo end with unbalanced is great but like the low end on the Sontec better.
I don't quite understand why it would add 6dB of gain to work with unbalanced kit- wouldn't it drop the output? There is something not right if you are getting 6dB gain as the NSEQ is entirely unbalanced.
26th June 2013
Old 26th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazaga View Post
Charter Oak is an incredible unit. In particular the low mid range...

I use it for mastering and it gives good results on everything I try. I am very happy with it.
+1 on the PEQ's Sub, Low-mid and Air bands. Mind you from your list I only have experience with the PEQ-1 and Massive Passive, and they're both great in their own right. I find the Hi-Mid of the PEQ-1 a bit aggressive compared to the Massive Passive, it's not as round. But the low-sub and high-air take the cake on the PEQ.
26th June 2013
Old 26th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F View Post
I don't quite understand why it would add 6dB of gain to work with unbalanced kit- wouldn't it drop the output? There is something not right if you are getting 6dB gain as the NSEQ is entirely unbalanced.
Oops meant input not output.

http://www.mil-media.com/pdf/NSEQ-4%...%20Manual..pdf
OTA
28th June 2013
Old 28th June 2013
OTA
Gear nut

Hi Slug can I pick your thoughts here (and others)

Do you use the 6db gain function for anything other than a line driver? I've had a week now with my new NSEQ-4 and I'm definitely digging it. It's first in my chain, and when engaging the gain, it does make you sit up and take notice, but I'm not clear if it alters the eq characteristics at all... I assumed it didn't but it's obviously hard to judge with the immediate level difference. It is nice to see how it pushes the following units in the chain...

At the moment I'm also finding the unit alot more usable keeping the gain range set in low... It's very interesting getting your settings and then toggling between the gain ranges to exaggerate the curves...

Only ask cos you said 'low end with unbalanced' ....
28th June 2013
Old 28th June 2013
Lives for gear

Yep gain range usually set to low and yes I'll use the unbalanced as a line driver. It's some of the cleanest sweetest gain I've heard. When I want some gain on lower rms material ill put it first and push through the unbalanced. I really think it shines in the mids and hi's. it can help get the vocals to come out without adding harshness or too much presence. It's a beautiful eq. I use it with a Sontec 250ex which tows the low end work and hi shelf. It's a great combo. Bax mainly for filters and sometimes the shelves too. But NSEQ4 is an amazing eq. Cool someone else is digging it.
lu432
Verified Member
28th June 2013
Old 28th June 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Verified Member
I haven't heard anyone say anything about the Crane Song Ibis and that is a unit that I am seriously interested in purchasing within the next year. Something about eq'ing using notes instead of frequencies that sounds very unique and interesting.

Luis
gregor z
Verified Member
28th June 2013
Old 28th June 2013
Gear addict

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lu432 View Post
I haven't heard anyone say anything about the Crane Song Ibis and that is a unit that I am seriously interested in purchasing within the next year. Something about eq'ing using notes instead of frequencies that sounds very unique and interesting.
My main tool....I have the mastering version..... Highly recommended.

Very musical EQ with a nice definition and punch IMHO..

I LOVE the Color control...used almost on every master I do, from very subtle to quite aggressive sometimes....

Used to have inserts patched to the patchbay so I could insert compressors on separate bands...but it was too much hassle...even though results were very interesting sometimes..

Love to use it in M/S too...

And build quality is top notch,

Best,

Gregor
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search