Login / Register

Pros/Cons to offering CD/Album Production and Other Merchandise for artists?
New Reply
Subscribe
hduncan
6th May 2013
Old 6th May 2013
Lives for gear

Pros/Cons to offering CD/Album Production and Other Merchandise for artists?

Is it very common for mastering houses to offer Album production (Graphic Design connections, CD Duplication, etc) for artists?

If not - who usually handles this part of the supply chain?

If so, do you see much in the way of producing other forms of merchandise (namely, artist-branded clothing, T-shirts, etc.)?

I am looking at some business ideas.. I assume the larger artists are out of my league, but smaller, local bands are probably more of the audience I'm referring to. Thank you!
Verified Member
7th May 2013
Old 7th May 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Besides doing mastering, on location recording, video production and restoration work my company also does limited run CD and DVD duplication for our clients when needed. That means quantities up to 100. Over that and we have a local duplicator that does very nice work that we can use. With our on CD printer, our two duplication towers and a color graphic's printer, capable of handling heavy paper, we have an investment of about $5K and we have more than paid off the equipment. With the demise of the CD in the offing this may not work as well now as when we got started with it 10 years ago.

Best of luck!

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Oberlin, OH 44074
www.acoustikmusik.com

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Celebrating 20 years in the mastering business in 2014
7th May 2013
Old 7th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hduncan View Post
I am looking at some business ideas.. I assume the larger artists are out of my league, but smaller, local bands are probably more of the audience I'm referring to. Thank you!
Have a look here - Additional Income
SASMastering
Verified Member
7th May 2013
Old 7th May 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Sure some mastering studios have connections with services that are related. I would be aware of muddying the waters though and taking on manufacturing/duping, printing T shirts sounds like one step to far removed to my mind. You know some duplication plants do mastering but I have heard of some getting less than stellar results.

Just be a little thoughtful.... are you a mix studio that offers mastering? a mastering studio that offers mixing? a duplication plant that offers mastering? etc. Side lining services could be treacherous. It is not a good look to be jack of all trades and master of none, if you can pardon the pun. I cannot see how a "do it all" place has the same day in day out focus and experience in mastering music unless you employ skill set specific people which is a commendable thing to do.

I am fortunate as my income is solely derived from mastering and my plan is to become known for doing one thing very well, so far it's worked and is continuing to work. Different strokes for different folks so the saying goes.

All the best with the plans wherever you head.

SafeandSound Music Mastering
IIIrd
Verified Member
8th May 2013
Old 8th May 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Big 'ol can of worms you have there, best not open it.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search