Cable CHECK, what cables are using in your mastering chain?
Old 8th February 2013
Gear addict

Cable CHECK, what cables are using in your mastering chain?

Well Greg Calbi switches between two different brands of cables depending on the sound he is trying to achieve. I wondered what you guys are using, and do you ever switch brands of cables based on the project?

(No trolls, tin can, or coat hanger remarks please, I've heard them all before and I'm looking for serious discussion regarding cables)
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I cabled everything up with Belden 1800F and I don't touch a thing otherwise.

No power cables on the other hand...

I'm kidding to some extent there. I did swap all the cheapies out for Pangea a couple years ago (more "to length" and of course, very heavy-duty). Actually lowered my noise floor a couple dB (I'm sure it was due to several dozen less feet of power cable floating around, but worth it in the end).
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

Belden and Mogami in use here but we never switch cables in search of a different sound for a given project. I do find Calbi's approach fascinating but I don't imagine very many mastering engineers do that.
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I use Mogami for analog lines and Apogee for digital.
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

I use mostly Cardas twinax that was made for Bernie Grundman for analogue lines. When logistics allow me, I also use Mapleshade inSound, which I also use for digital and power cords. The Mapleshade stuff is extraordinary, but physically delicate. It has never failed to impress in AB comparisons.
Old 8th February 2013
Gear maniac

monster

_sh
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmasterer View Post
monster

_sh
I know somebody at Monster... Noel is a businessman first... the best thing they've done for quality cables is popularize the notion. Perhaps you could do worse, but you can easily do better...
Old 8th February 2013
Everyone uses Hosa of course
Old 8th February 2013
Gear nut

Mostly Mogami in here aswell.
Old 8th February 2013
All Mogami here.
Old 8th February 2013
Gear addict

Verified Member
8001 BLK for both analog and digital lines
Old 8th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
I know somebody at Monster... Noel is a businessman first... the best thing they've done for quality cables is popularize the notion. Perhaps you could do worse, but you can easily do better...
The high end Monster Cables IMO are quite good and I'm talking about the 1000 Series cables or the m1000i audiophile grade cables, but they are pricey. I think many engineers base their opinion on the entire Monster line of cables just after hearing their 100 series or 500 Series, and they may never hear the more expensive line. But I have heard all of their cables and there is a difference for sure, with the more expensive series definitely offering a more audiophile "extended range" sound with very high definition.
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
all cables hand made (except power cables),
belden 1694 (digital) and canare starquad for all analog,
monitor speakers - audioquest something... (don't remember)
power cables - just proper heavy duty belden cables,

I don't believe in cables voodoo, and got just solid cables, soldered all by myself,
about 6monts ago, shortened to 120cm each (to take less space under desk mostly) except power cables
very happy with this so far, not planning to ever change it..
well maybe try monitor cables, rather for fun
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

Mogami and Redco at my shop........
Old 8th February 2013
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Ecclesiastical Research, Pure Cane Sugar Series for everything except I substitute silver plated teflon wire for all xlr pin 3 connections as I find the soundstage magnificent that way.
Old 8th February 2013
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

In the next week or so, I will be starting a mastering project so I decided to switch out my REDCO TGS for Accusound ACX-4 Quad for the Analog chain and to the monitors
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Van Damme for analogue, 8001 for digital, Neutrik connectors throughout has worked fine for some time. Can't imagine swapping cables for different jobs.
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
110 ohm Wyde Eye for all interconnects and Marshall Sound Runner for speaker
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
A mixture of various brands from the last 23 years.

But if I were recabling everything today I'd use Belden 1800F w Neutrik for everything balanced and AES digital.

color coded of course, these guys do a great job, far less painful than firing up my soldering iron:

Balanced Audio Cables at Blue Jeans Cable

JT
Old 8th February 2013
Gear addict

I use Vovox cables for the outboard gear and Mogami cables for monitoring.
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpKillerCable View Post
The high end Monster Cables IMO are quite good and I'm talking about the 1000 Series cables or the m1000i audiophile grade cables, but they are pricey. I think many engineers base their opinion on the entire Monster line of cables just after hearing their 100 series or 500 Series, and they may never hear the more expensive line. But I have heard all of their cables and there is a difference for sure, with the more expensive series definitely offering a more audiophile "extended range" sound with very high definition.
No doubt some of their stuff is decent. Check out Mapleshade sometime. I think you'll find that even their lower end wire is a noticeable improvement over anything Monster.
Old 8th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
No doubt some of their stuff is decent. Check out Mapleshade sometime. I think you'll find that even their lower end wire is a noticeable improvement over anything Monster.
My point is the high end Monster line is more than decent, it is one of the most high resolution cables I've heard. To my ears it provides a higher resolution than the Mogami Gold cables, to which it is often compared because those are the two main brands of high quality cables that Guitar Center carries. I'm surprised the high end Monster line doesn't get more praise on Gearslutz. I'm not sure exactly why this is.
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Mogami and Vovox
Old 8th February 2013

Verified Member
Mostly Mogami Neglex 2549 (not quad), some Canare, and Apogee for digital connections.
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Gold View Post
Ecclesiastical Research, Pure Cane Sugar Series for everything except I substitute silver plated teflon wire for all xlr pin 3 connections as I find the soundstage magnificent that way.
Glad to see someone still cares about good sound.

DC
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mogami Neglex 2549
Wonder what they left out ? Sorry it was too tempting at the end of a long Friday.
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Now it's all Vovox for the outboard and vanDenHuul to the speakers. I got a sweet deal on the voxes, otherwise I doubt I would have gone down that route. But I do love that they're cloth covered, it's a lot less "clingy" than rubber/plastic. (And yes, I know that you can get cheap cable covers to make your homemade ones look reaaally impressive. I just did it with a small mini-to-jack extender )

Otherwise I think I have just about any kind laying about, from hi-end Kimbers to Hosa.

r,
j,
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASMastering View Post
Wonder what they left out ? Sorry it was too tempting at the end of a long Friday.
Probably the literal "veil that has been removed from the speaker" that you will hear if you use them. Sorry, I understood, no audiophile-cable-jokes allowed here. It's Friday, and I'm already gone again
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Belden 1800F/Neutrik connectors on everything except for some Mogami 8-pair on a few d-sub analog connections to the Igloo boxes.

sounds like crap, maybe the cables are in backwards...
Closed Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search