A program or plugin to use for Sample Rate Conversion and Word Length Reduction?
SharpKillerCable
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear addict

A program or plugin to use for Sample Rate Conversion and Word Length Reduction?

What's a good program or plugin to use for Sample Rate Conversion and Word Length Reduction?
I'm hoping to find something that I haven't already tried. I'm converting wav audio files from 24/96 to 16/44.1.
Riccardo
Verified Member
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpKillerCable View Post
What's a good program or plugin to use for Sample Rate Conversion and Word Length Reduction?
I'm hoping to find something that I haven't already tried. I'm converting wav audio files from 24/96 to 16/44.1.
Audiofile Engineering Sample Manager unless you have tried it already........
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Sample Manager all the way. Sounds excellent, easy to use, and reasonable price.
huejahfink
Verified Member
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I use Izotope RX2 Advanced for this. Probably overkill if that's ALL you needed to do.
But it is very very good.

It seems Sample Manager uses Izotope technology anyway...
I believe that you have less tweak-ability in S.M., but that's not necessarily a bad thing especially if you are looking for a simple, reliable solution.
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
I must be missing something here - just about any DAW will do this. You add dither and EXPORT to 16/44.1
misjah
Verified Member
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear addict

Verified Member
Quote:
Weiss Saracon
SharpKillerCable
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonlinear View Post
I must be missing something here - just about any DAW will do this. You add dither and EXPORT to 16/44.1
Maybe I wasn't clear, but I'm looking for something better than what my DAW will offer. The conversion it uses does not sound like the 24bit 96khz files, not even close, so I will try to use a different program for that specific purpose. Thanks for pointing that out, I really have to spell things out on here.
Hermetech Mastering
Verified Member
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Voxengo R8Brain Pro Full in daily use here for SRC, but I use Sonoris Dither plugin for word length reduction. Both very high quality.
Chris Bauer
Verified Member
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear addict

I agree with what has been suggested above.

If you're on a Mac then Sample Manager is a good choice, as it uses iZotope's sample rate conversion and dithering algorithms (both of which are excellent).

On a PC Voxengo's R8Brain Pro is a good choice for SRC. There are lots of options for dithering - I rather like MBit+ by iZotope (part of Ozone 5).
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear addict

Pyramix is the best I've heard so far. PC only though..
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear nut

All SRC is not created equal...

SRC Comparisons

(I also use the iZotope algos in Sample Manager)

Ian
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear nut

As mentioned above Saracon. Bit pricey but comprehensive for your needs at extremely high quality.
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Maybe I wasn't clear, but I'm looking for something better than what my DAW will offer. The conversion it uses does not sound like the 24bit 96khz files, not even close, so I will try to use a different program for that specific purpose. Thanks for pointing that out, I really have to spell things out on here.
Wow do I feel stupid! Sorry for chiming in on your post - I really had no idea it was this involved. I thought it was basically a math function. I learned something new here, thanks!

So now I have to ask - why is so much audio work done at 96KHz rather than 88.2KHz? Wouldn't a lot of these downsampling artifacts go away if you were converting 88.2 to 44.1 instead of 96 to 44.1?
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Gear nut

I've used R8brain a time or two on some odd samplerate stuff (i.e. 64kHz, and such). Worked fine.
SharpKillerCable
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Gear addict

Between Saracon and Izotope RX 2 Advanced, which one do you like more? Bob Katz and George Massenburg endorse Saracon. Also can the regular version of Izotope RX convert files to 16bit 44.1khz or do I need the Advanced version?
huejahfink
Verified Member
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Between Saracon and Izotope RX 2 Advanced, which one do you like more? Bob Katz and George Massenburg endorse Saracon. Also can the regular version of Izotope RX convert files to 16bit 44.1khz or do I need the Advanced version?
I seem to remember reading that Mr Katz also worked with Izotope on the development of their recent dithering - so I guess you could call that an endorsement too!
huejahfink
Verified Member
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
In fact (from the Izotope site)

From Bob Katz, three-time GRAMMY award-winning mastering engineer and inventor of K-System metering:
"MBIT+ is an impeccably-designed and versatile dither that can get all the information and purity of tone from my higher-resolution sources down to 16 bits with great success. With the wider range of noise-shaping choices in Ozone 5, MBIT+ is even more of a winner for me."

iZotope Ozone 5 Complete Mastering System | DITHER
SharpKillerCable
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Gear addict

Maybe that was an old endorsement of Saracon from Katz, maybe he like Izotope more now. I don't know. It doesn't really matter much, just thought I'd throw that in.
807Recordings
Verified Member
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I use the internal of Sequioa and will be darned if I notice a huge difference.
huejahfink
Verified Member
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
It doesn't really matter much, just thought I'd throw that in.
Yep! Same....
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

I also use Sample Manager = iZotope, but if you want something totally free, not almost free, try SoX. Command line driven, but good.

SoX - Sound eXchange | HomePage
SharpKillerCable
12th February 2013
Old 12th February 2013
Gear addict

Today I tried both Saracon and Sample Manager for conversion to 16bit 44.1, and both seemed to be a step up from the SRC in Pro Tools 9 in my A/B tests, and sounded more like their respective 24bit 48khz files. Thanks for the suggestions. I wanted to try the Izotope RX but the trial version wouldn't let me output or "save" anything so all I could do with that was play with some of the dials...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search