New Reply
Subscribe
Hippocratic Mastering
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Gear maniac

Summing two stereo signals before monitors

Hi all,

I am currently using ITB gain adjustments for level matched A/B comparisons. However, I would like to do this in the analogue domain if possible, to allow me to keep the mastered track at its exact volume rather than attenuating it. I have a spare DAC with an output level control (Benchmark DAC1) available, and I can easily handle switching between the two signals ITB, and both my monitor DACs have independant volume controls, so all I really need to do is sum the two signals before my monitors.

Is there a simple, off the shelf product that accomplishes this with minimum loss of fidelity? It's my understanding that a simple Y Split cable would be a very bad idea. I could always buy a Coleman monitor controller, but it seems overkill when I would only really be using it to sum two signals together - I would not need any of the other functions at all.

I don't want to go DIY - is there something cheaper than a Coleman that accomplishes what I want and maintains signal accuracy?

Tom Woodhead, Mastering Engineer

http://www.hippocraticmastering.com/
Greg Reierson
Verified Member
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Seems to me you want switching, not summing. A simple input selector with DAC A on input 1 and DAC B on input 2 should do what you're looking for.

You could use something like Coleman Audio LS3 | Sweetwater.com if you're running unbalanced.

For balanced, the balanced Coleman is a great option.

"If the album isn't competing for singles airplay in focus groups, forget about loudness!" - Bob Olhsson
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

Yes, the LS3 is a cool little tool... have several, they work great.
Hippocratic Mastering
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
Gear maniac

As I say, I would rather do the switching inside the DAW if possible. It's just easier for my workflow to press the "s" key on the keyboard than reach out and flick a little switch. I don't think any added noise should make too much difference, right?

That said, I think I might have a lead on a cheap Coleman PS1A so will likely go with that now. Does anyone know how the input selection switches work on these devices? If I select one input are the others automatically deselected? I don't really mind either way as the PS1A switches seem nice and robust, but would be good to know.
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtoad View Post
As I say, I would rather do the switching inside the DAW if possible. It's just easier for my workflow to press the "s" key on the keyboard than reach out and flick a little switch. I don't think any added noise should make too much difference, right?

That said, I think I might have a lead on a cheap Coleman PS1A so will likely go with that now. Does anyone know how the input selection switches work on these devices? If I select one input are the others automatically deselected? I don't really mind either way as the PS1A switches seem nice and robust, but would be good to know.
Summing with 2 open "sources" is likely to change the signal far more than a switching box and ITB level adjustment, wouldn't you think?

Any form of analogue trim is going to need extra components in the chain...I guess a passive attenuator is about as close as you're going to get to transparent.

If I've ever helped you with a technical problem or provided you with advice you found useful, you can more than repay me by checking out, and maybe buying a couple of songs, by a singer I'm working closely with. It would be much appreciated!

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/preorder/...an/id513648911

http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Robert-Ha...robert+hardman

</Shameless Plug>
Hippocratic Mastering
31st January 2013
Old 31st January 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Summing with 2 open "sources" is likely to change the signal far more than a switching box and ITB level adjustment, wouldn't you think?

Any form of analogue trim is going to need extra components in the chain...I guess a passive attenuator is about as close as you're going to get to transparent.
Yeah, I guess you're right. I think I'm resigned to the Coleman/other switching box option, or I might just wait and get a Crookwood or similar, as that is the long term plan.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search