New Reply
Subscribe
127Riot
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Steven Antoniazzi

Mastering Really?

Yes, Really!

My basic info - I am not a pro, I have a home studio with pretty nice gear, I am dedicated and put a lot of time into it.

I have read posts here on the form questioning mastering. I often put thought into it myself. Thoughts like: Is it worth it? If I work really hard in getting my mix right, why would I need to have it mastered? I have a Fatso isn't that enough?

Recently I did a little test. I recorded a 3 song demo. I mixed it real good and did my attempt at mastering which is a fatso on the 2 buss with a multi-pressor plug in. Give or take a Clariphonic DSP / Valley Limiter.

I know now from my own experience that mastering is a must, not "my mastering",,,,," Real Mastering" ,,,,,

I posted my demo in the mastering form asking If someone could master it on the cheap, I received quite a bit of responses saying " I usually do it for this price but I will do yours for the hell of it." I checked out some of the websites of the studios and picked one, not because they had the best equipment, I ended up going with a studio that seemed to lean more towards understanding the style of music that I had recorded. Punk Rock. I'm really glad I did because I am super happy with the results. Everything sounds glued together. It's loud but not too pushed, even though I made the mistake of sending the ME a hot mix. My mix for once actually sounds finished. Best of all I learned a lot. I wanted to find a mastering engineer that I can send all my sessions to for finalization. It's hard enough to get a mix right I don't even want to attempt to try and master.

Thank you gearslutz!!!
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Gear addict

verry gooood
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Gear interested

A+

Sent from my SGH-T759 using Gearslutz App
Shawn Hatfield
Verified Member
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Glad to hear it!
Franco
Verified Member
31st January 2013
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127Riot View Post
... I checked out some of the websites of the studios and picked one, not because they had the best equipment, I ended up going with a studio that seemed to lean more towards understanding the style of music that I had recorded. Punk Rock...
Bingo! Familiarity with the music is much, much more important than a long list of gear!

If more people keep believing this, they may have to change the name of this site to "Skillslutz".
31st January 2013
Old 31st January 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127Riot View Post
I know now from my own experience that mastering is a must
Man, just when Bobcat had us all convinced that mastering is useless!

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search