Any freeware PQ encoding software for Mac??
JeremyPaulCarrol
28th January 2013
Old 28th January 2013
Gear nut

Any freeware PQ encoding software for Mac??

Hi!

A colleague of mine needs to prepare a 45-minute 44kHz 16-bit wav file from Pro Tools 9 for CD.

Does anybody know of any freeware utilities that will allow him to place PQ codes into the file and burn it to CD? He has Roxio Toast 6 and it's corresponding version of Jam (I know they're ancient, but there you go!)

I assume that either that version of Toast or Jam would be able to read SD2 files with markers in, so that may be the easiest way forward. I've looked and can't seem to find anything that would do this, other than commercial software.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

Jeremy
28th January 2013
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

28th January 2013
Old 28th January 2013
If I'm hearing you right he just wants a gapless playback with track markers in it? Simplest way with above mentioned software would probably be to split it at each marker, export those as individual files and then throw em in toast with 0sec. gaps and you should be good to go.
JeremyPaulCarrol
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Gear nut

Hi... thanks for the responses..

Both are good points, but we were really looking for more of a permanent (i.e. not a demo) as freeware where PQ codes could be be dropped in on an existing file..

I'm getting the impression there isn't anything out there...

J.
Jerry Tubb
Verified Member
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyPaulCarrol View Post
ut we were really looking for more of a permanent (i.e. not a demo) as freeware where PQ codes could be be dropped in on an existing file..

I'm getting the impression there isn't anything out there...
There are some fairly inexpensive options out there for Mac.

Software developers work really hard to make 'em available!

JT
28th June 2013
Old 28th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb View Post
There are some fairly inexpensive options out there for Mac.
Do you have a recommendation? Is Toast it? I'm a bit frustrated that I have to pay $100 just to do something that iTunes oughta be able to do already...
Audio X
28th June 2013
Old 28th June 2013
Audio X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
Do you have a recommendation? Is Toast it? I'm a bit frustrated that I have to pay $100 just to do something that iTunes oughta be able to do already...
100 bucks is nothing really if you expect support, competence and reliability. A tank and a half of gas.

Some others in that price range.

DSP Quatro
Wavelab Essentials
Audiofile Engineering - Triumph
Hofa - CD Burn
28th June 2013
Old 28th June 2013
Lives for gear

If you want a solution that works, buy it. Freeware is just that, and you get all the quality you pay for. Just charge it on to the client!

By the way, Toast and Jam 6 work with SD2 files, but PT 9 does not, as far as I know, and almost nobody uses SD2 any more. You should be using WAV.

All the answers above are valid and useful suggestions. You should be able to take it from there!
28th June 2013
Old 28th June 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks all... just seems weird that iTunes doesn't have the option of adding PQ codes... but I guess that's not their market...

So Toast won't work with WAV files? hmm... so no go there... on PT 10 and about to upgrade to 11... any suggestions out of the above if all I wanna do is be able to burn a CD with the codes?
28th June 2013
Old 28th June 2013
Lives for gear

Toast wiil work with WAV. Re-read my post!

iTunes is consumer software, not professional CD burning software.

Read this:
http://cdman.com/pq-codes
then follow the guidelines above, and even burn a CD with tracks in iTunes or Toast and see what it does on a CD player. You may aldready have what you need.
28th June 2013
Old 28th June 2013
all the free stuff seems to only be for PC. us mac users gotta fork over the cash!
29th June 2013
Old 29th June 2013
Lives for gear

I'm not the OP but I don't mind paying just don't wanna pay a lot for stuff I don't need...
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search