New Reply
Subscribe
Hypnotic
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Focusrite pro 40 headphone amp

Hi,

Just want to start out by saying, I don't know much about headphone amps.

I was thinking about getting the sennheiser 650 headphones, but I am not sure if I will need an amp. I currently have the focusrite pro 40 and have been using my akg 702 headphones in it, which seems to work fine, although I am not sure if it would be much better if I bought a headphone amp.

I tried looking on the focusrite site, but couldn't find anything.

Does anyone know if the focusrite is suitable for the sennheiser 650's?

The nominal impedance on those is 300 ohms
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotic View Post
Hi,

Just want to start out by saying, I don't know much about headphone amps.

I was thinking about getting the sennheiser 650 headphones, but I am not sure if I will need an amp. I currently have the focusrite pro 40 and have been using my akg 702 headphones in it, which seems to work fine, although I am not sure if it would be much better if I bought a headphone amp.

I tried looking on the focusrite site, but couldn't find anything.

Does anyone know if the focusrite is suitable for the sennheiser 650's?

The nominal impedance on those is 300 ohms

I use my SP40 and Sennheiser 580's every day. I also use my classic 414's that I'm pretty sure are 2k ohms - the SP40 drives them fine.

Since you can create a mix just for 7/8 9/10 that is dedicated to the Headphone outputs you have a lot of control regarding levels.

What are your specific concerns about needing the amp?

-D
Hypnotic
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks for your input. My main concern is that I am not getting all that I could out of my AKG 702's or that I would not have enough power for the Sennheiser 650's. I have never used a headphone amp before, so not really sure what the difference would be.

I agree, there is a fair amount of power that is sent out from the output controls in the SP40. What confused me a little is that Focusrite posted a kind of apology that their headphone amps aren't that strong, because they wanted to avoid clipping at all costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
I use my SP40 and Sennheiser 580's every day. I also use my classic 414's that I'm pretty sure are 2k ohms - the SP40 drives them fine.

Since you can create a mix just for 7/8 9/10 that is dedicated to the Headphone outputs you have a lot of control regarding levels.

What are your specific concerns about needing the amp?

-D
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search