Unwanted noise removal
Old 27th December 2012
Gear addict

Unwanted noise removal

Sending a project out for mastering soon. The mixes came out amazing, though there are a few things I am wondering if mastering will be able to address.

I am having an issue with some "noise floors" turning on at weird times. For instance, a song where the guitar starts the song, and after a few bars is accompanied by the vocal...right before the vocal comes on though, you hear the added noise from the mic coming on, before the first breath and note. Once the voice comes in, it sounds great, though that second of noise is distracting. this was something that wasn't addressed in the mix.

In another song, the noise is particularly loud during a verse where there is just a single guitar, bass and drums, and a pretty hollow sounding groove; the noise is audible here more so than I'd like...whereas most of the other parts of the song, the band covers up any audible noise, this song the noise is present.

Is it possible for a mastering engineer to clean this stuff up? I am assuming any unwanted noise at the beginning and end of the tracks will be easy to clean, though the few moments of noise in the track that are distracting...am i stuck with them? not a huge problem, but a minor detail i'd like to get cleaned up if possible.
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
It might be possible via spectral editing, depending on the nature of the sound around it - but this kind of issue is best addressed on the offending channel in the mix.

I wouldn't wait to sort that kind of issue out. Some mastering engineers wouldn't even think of touching a problem like that, others might try - but I'd say you had no guarantees in general leaving it to that late stage.
Old 27th December 2012
Gear addict

that's what i figured, though can't really do mix recalls so it seems were stuck with them...wonder if these things will be a problem at all, since my band members don't really notice them until i point them out, and they are really only noticeable when listening on headphones...nevertheless i hear them
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
PS... if you definitely no longer have access to the mixes themselves, you are welcome to send over the offending files with some notes, and I will take a look at those specific issues only and I will see if I think I can easily spectrally edit the noise.
You can send them on to your regular engineer afterwards, I'm not trying to tread on anyone's toes - just help with this specific issue.
Send links to the email address in my signature (appears on the first post), or via PM.

The way I see it - if you can hear it, and it is undesirable - then it is a problem.
We might be able to fix it for you.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search