Login / Register
 
How to get super loud pop tracks?
New Reply
Subscribe
#181
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
  #181
Lives for gear
 
The_K_Man's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Stamford, CT
Posts: 1,455

The_K_Man is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Graffam View Post
He's "Big Bass" because of his talented self, not because of any secrets. No argument there from me. But yeah, I'm sure he has "a few more" tricks. I would hope a shop with more gear customizations than not would.


K Man:
LUV U 2 DEATH FOR GEARSLUTZ - Masterful Audio - Undo and EQ only.wav
the new "Mastered for iKman" standard. :P
What you call the "K-Man" standard(ragged looking waveforms chockful of transients) was how most mixing and mastering was done for decades until the 1990s. Ain't nothing new.

I'm just trying to bring it back, that's all!

(why do I get the feeling that I'm older than most of Gearslutz?)
__________________
- Now I Am Become L2, The Destroyer Of Music!
Quote
1
#182
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
  #182
Lives for gear
 
marchhare's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Hollywood, CA
Posts: 987

marchhare is offline
OwensDrumming
Thread Starter
#183
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
  #183
Gear addict
 
OwensDrumming's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Connecticut, USA
Posts: 415

Thread Starter
OwensDrumming is offline
What are you guys using for limiters (plugins, hardware, etc.)???
#184
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
  #184
Lives for gear
 
marchhare's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Hollywood, CA
Posts: 987

marchhare is offline
Hermetech Mastering
Verified Member
#185
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
  #185
Lives for gear
 
Hermetech Mastering's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Milan
Posts: 1,270
My Recordings/Credits

Verified Member
Hermetech Mastering is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwensDrumming View Post
What are you guys using for limiters (plugins, hardware, etc.)???
Already listed mine. If I'm going for loudness I'll usually clip the Crookwood ADC and add Elephant, but things tend to start sounding nasty after 2-3dB limiting.
Deleted User #43636
#186
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
  #186
Deleted User #43636
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Table Of Tone
Verified Member
#187
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
  #187
Lives for gear
 
Table Of Tone's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,701

Verified Member
Table Of Tone is offline
It normally always turns out to be something that has been tracked too hot in the recording stage.

The crackle only really shows up when you start to try N make it loud.

Also, watch out for reds N overs within plugs.

Some plugs, especially in PTHD, run at fixed point, which means you don't wanna be hammering em.

Take care of the above points, make sure you are happy with the way the mix sounds when you turn up your monitoring, send to a good ME, tell him (or her) how you want it, enjoy, hopefully
__________________
Ade Emsley
#188
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
  #188
Lives for gear
 
Laurend's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: France
Posts: 666

Laurend is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwensDrumming View Post
What are you guys using for limiters (plugins, hardware, etc.)???
I use my own limiter design. It has adaptive look ahead and release which preserve both bass and clarity. More info can be found here:
4 Gain Reduction Strategies - YouTube
__________________
Laurent Sevestre
www.maximalsound.com
Online Mastering
Technical Stuff
Table Of Tone
Verified Member
#189
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
  #189
Lives for gear
 
Table Of Tone's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,701

Verified Member
Table Of Tone is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchhare View Post
This attempt was-



Pro Audio DSP DSM
UAD Manley Massive Passive
UAD Precision Maximizer
Ozone 5 Limiter
Not too shabby for an ITB cut.

That mix seemed to benefit from the color added by DSM and UAD Mass Pass and of course, what you did with those four plugs.

I'm guessing UAD modelled that unit with the transformers in the signal?

Although I have the hardware mastering version (don't use it that often), I've never checked out the UAD software version.
#190
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
  #190
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 25

maxon is offline
#191
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
  #191
Lives for gear
 
marchhare's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Hollywood, CA
Posts: 987

marchhare is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Of Tone View Post
Not too shabby for an ITB cut.

That mix seemed to benefit from the color added by DSM and UAD Mass Pass and of course, what you did with those four plugs.

I'm guessing UAD modelled that unit with the transformers in the signal?

Although I have the hardware mastering version (don't use it that often), I've never checked out the UAD software version.
Thanks Adrian! On a side note, the Rockerverb 50 was one of the best amps
I've owned, stupidly I sold mine, gonna get another one soon. I just picked up the Precision Maximizer recently, I really like what it does, makes things louder and somehow increases the punch, too. You mentioned in your earlier post how things really start to crackle when you make them louder, in this mix the vocal is distorted on the chorus, so that's obviously a problem.
I've been revisiting the idea of multiple limiters, each doing a small amount.
Never had much luck with it until I tried putting the DSM first. Too early to
tell, but so far it seems to be working well.
Table Of Tone
Verified Member
#192
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
  #192
Lives for gear
 
Table Of Tone's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,701

Verified Member
Table Of Tone is offline
Interestingly, the DSM really works well when following the A to D on Forssell MADA 2.
FGX doesn't!

Things were very different with a Prism AD 2.
FGX loved it but DSM didn't!

Funny how things work, right?
#193
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
  #193
Lives for gear
 
Sofa King's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 861

Send a message via AIM to Sofa King
Sofa King is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwensDrumming View Post
I'm having trouble getting maximum volume out of my pop tracks. I'm using a limiter on my master bus and whenever I push the threshold, it distorts. I've tried using them in series and that does the same thing. Are there any tricks to get maximum loudness like you hear on today's music? I've tried several limiters and the same thing happens. Am I using the plugins wrong? Thanks.

P.S. I'm primarily using a Massey L2007 limiter. I love that thing. It's so musical.
I think only so much can happen in mastering.
If thats what the track needs, I think it needs to happen in the arrangement and the mix.

Something that ALWAYS works for me is to squeeze a little in many places, as opposed to hammering it just on the subs, of the mix.
__________________
Sean McDonald
Sofa King Music Services

http://www.seanmcdonald.com
mcsnare
Verified Member
#194
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
  #194
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: The Big Apple
Posts: 298

Verified Member
mcsnare is offline
#195
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
  #195
Gear addict
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 314

Temple of Light is offline
You really need to wrap your head around this, it's all that matters to an artist.
A. A mix is a dynamic evolving/devolving thing.
B. A mix is really achieved by multiple layers of pristine sound to begin with.
C. A mix, when maximised for clarity and dynamic range per individual track, will MASTER with relatively little effort.
D. A mix that gets a girl wet or a man hard is a mix that BEGS to be TURNED UP!
E. A mix that sounds great at 20% of the available gain range of it's intended delivery device is a mix that will be remembered and requested again and again.
F. U are going to need more than a computer...
G. A mix HAS to be MASTERED for it's intended delivery device, else you fail, suck, and waste time, money and skill. If you are trying to get this tune into a radio broadcast rig, versus a club PA, versus an Ipod, versus TV broadcast, or movie sound stage, each environment will require a different set of considerations: mathematical, aesthetic and spatial/acoustical.

You ask a simple question regarding an entire enclycopedic knowledge of a subject matter you clearly don't understand. Read and learn alot more about the subject before asking anything further about it.
#196
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
  #196
Lives for gear
 
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 2,312

OpusOfTrolls is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temple of Light View Post
You really need to wrap your head around this, it's all that matters to an artist.
A. A mix is a dynamic evolving/devolving thing.
B. A mix is really achieved by multiple layers of pristine sound to begin with.
C. A mix, when maximised for clarity and dynamic range per individual track, will MASTER with relatively little effort.
D. A mix that gets a girl wet or a man hard is a mix that BEGS to be TURNED UP!
E. A mix that sounds great at 20% of the available gain range of it's intended delivery device is a mix that will be remembered and requested again and again.
F. U are going to need more than a computer...
G. A mix HAS to be MASTERED for it's intended delivery device, else you fail, suck, and waste time, money and skill. If you are trying to get this tune into a radio broadcast rig, versus a club PA, versus an Ipod, versus TV broadcast, or movie sound stage, each environment will require a different set of considerations: mathematical, aesthetic and spatial/acoustical.

You ask a simple question regarding an entire enclycopedic knowledge of a subject matter you clearly don't understand. Read and learn alot more about the subject before asking anything further about it.
IOW, he didn't master engmix's sample.
#197
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
  #197
Lives for gear
 
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 2,312

OpusOfTrolls is offline
Maybe we should all have a second round with a different genre? Hopefully get some better critique this time.
Deleted User #43636
#198
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
  #198
Deleted User #43636
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxon View Post
Zippyshare.com - LUVMASTER.wav

Plugin chain:

Precision Multiband -> UAD Limiter -> Brainworx V2 -> UAD Precision EQ -> UAD Limiter
How to download from this filehosting service ? It just reloads the page everytime I try...
Hermetech Mastering
Verified Member
#199
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
  #199
Lives for gear
 
Hermetech Mastering's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Milan
Posts: 1,270
My Recordings/Credits

Verified Member
Hermetech Mastering is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusOfTrolls View Post
Maybe we should all have a second round with a different genre? Hopefully get some better critique this time.
it's why i love the REP WUMP so much. there are clearly set down rules and time frames, two or three separate threads for different parts of the discussion, if there are many entries they are split into two or three groups, all users sign up BEFORE, so you don't get any last minute stragglers, no revisions allowed, entry dates are clearly laid out beforehand etc. one unofficial rule is that if you fail to comment on EVERYBODY else's entry (in your group), then you are banned from taking part the next WUMP. it all works really well. but i tried to implement similar ideas on another (non-professional) music forum once, and it all just went to shit...
#200
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
  #200
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 25

maxon is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddigger1 View Post
How to download from this filehosting service ? It just reloads the page everytime I try...
Zippyshare.com - LUVMASTER.wav

orange "DOWNLOAD NOW" right side up
Deleted User #43636
#201
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
  #201
Deleted User #43636
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxon View Post
Zippyshare.com - LUVMASTER.wav

orange "DOWNLOAD NOW" right side up
...which just reloads the page...

thanks anyway.
#202
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
  #202
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 25

maxon is offline
Deleted User #43636
#203
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
  #203
Deleted User #43636
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Dropbox works fine. Thanks a lot.
#204
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
  #204
Lives for gear
 
greggybud's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Eugene Oregon
Posts: 1,604

greggybud is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaluma View Post
it's why i love the REP WUMP so much. there are clearly set down rules and time frames, two or three separate threads for different parts of the discussion, if there are many entries they are split into two or three groups, all users sign up BEFORE, so you don't get any last minute stragglers, no revisions allowed, entry dates are clearly laid out beforehand etc. one unofficial rule is that if you fail to comment on EVERYBODY else's entry (in your group), then you are banned from taking part the next WUMP. it all works really well. but i tried to implement similar ideas on another (non-professional) music forum once, and it all just went to shit...
Wow...WUMP still thrives?

Years ago, I learned a lot through WUMP. For anyone seriously wanting to learn about mastering, from ME's I highly suggest it.
#205
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
  #205
Gear addict
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 314

Temple of Light is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusOfTrolls View Post
IOW, he didn't master engmix's sample.
Like I HAVE TIME TO DO WORK FOR FREE?
OP should be paying me just for the advice!
#206
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
  #206
Lives for gear
 
engmix's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,356
My Recordings/Credits

engmix is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temple of Light View Post
Like I HAVE TIME TO DO WORK FOR FREE?
OP should be paying me just for the advice!
Hey Temp, i don't think anyone is asking for free work here. I posted this sample for a very specific purpose, for those who genuinely wanted to get involved. This isn't a symposium on how to mix, just purely for getting hot masters. I left the distorted vocal on purpose to see how some would handle the task of dealing with it. I thought this would be a good chance to see how some purely in the box and hybrid approaches were utilized. Did you take a crack at mastering the sample, if so, could you point me to it, i would love to hear it, and hopefully you listed what you used, and your speakers.

When i was an assistant engineer back in the day i had the chance to see others at work on a daily basis. That was the primary point of this throw-down. For myself and others to see who's doing what, with what, and why.
#207
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
  #207
Lives for gear
 
engmix's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,356
My Recordings/Credits

engmix is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusOfTrolls View Post
Maybe we should all have a second round with a different genre? Hopefully get some better critique this time.
This would be a fantastic idea. I do have another track laying around that's a pop rock record that we could use, but perhaps someone else should pony up a track so it's not from the same source.
#208
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
  #208
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Midtown, NYC
Posts: 513

everyday is offline
__________________
"Much can be accomplished if one is not interested in taking credit"

George Massenburg
#209
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
  #209
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Norway
Posts: 298

bonne is offline
I enjoyed Brian L's comments earlier in the thread. Would be interesting to see him give it a whirl as well.

JB
#210
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
  #210
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 25

maxon is offline
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
reclude / Mastering forum
10
ceco / So much gear, so little time!
58
Samsonite / Post Production forum!
17
NoisyNarrowBand / So much gear, so little time!
18

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.