New Reply
Subscribe
Anghello
27th November 2012
Old 27th November 2012
Lives for gear

Best monitor of 2013 - Unity/Eggs/SX/Focals/ME Geithain/Neumann/PSI/Quested

Which one?

Heard people say Twins lies a bit. Eggs are hi-fi and KH 120 are no brainer for its price but still common sounding as Munro. Lets find out what users say!

Geithain is a different dimension.. but what about that price/mix result?

I trust JBL in terms of mix translation. I had JBL 4425 and its the best speaker I mixed on! Way better then any mackie, genelecs etc.

However SE need to "move between" instruments. Complete stereo image with representation of small nuances in eq change and compression.

Budget is above 2k EUR. (+-)

Are you familiar with PMC, Pelonis, PSI etc? Here are the answers.

Lets talk about small cabinets with attitude. We need to master songs on them. I know its quite a challenge but my room is already ready.

Thanks
27th November 2012
Old 27th November 2012
Gear addict

geithains are great.
kh120 are great

had jbl4425 , where useless for me concerning mastering
Anghello
27th November 2012
Old 27th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOBOMBER View Post
geithains are great.
kh120 are great

had jbl4425 , where useless for me concerning mastering
Thank you.

I think that too. They make you mix in good way but mastering is something, that should be translated perfectly on top hi-fi system. This is the reason why I sold them yesterday and have to move fo more audio information.

Before JBL I had A7 + sub12. I never used Sub in my room. It was quite disappointing investment. Clients loved it.. but mastering with huge buttom is difficult. I stocked with A7 and was quite satisfied. I took JBL as experience I would use in future.

I bought S1X today with return possibility. However still curious if Rock or Neumann are better. Or basically add some little money and get 906. My dream is 940 but miss almost two grands now. However it is still possible.

What do you think? Any experience?

KH 120 are enough for mastering? I donno.. there must be some bottom anyway at least around second octave.

Thank you
Andrew
Anghello
27th November 2012
Old 27th November 2012
Lives for gear

Anyone? Focal twins?
Anghello
27th November 2012
Old 27th November 2012
Lives for gear

I know its quite taste preference. And I do have my own opinion about this. But still quite interested in GS and what pro around think? Maybe there is better solution for me? Greater technology or design then mentioned above?

I don't think that in 3k usd range you can't have a nice speaker with very low distortion/coloration and good translation to the real world.
Anghello
28th November 2012
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear

S2X ? Or S3A?
28th November 2012
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Well I haven't used any of the speakers in this thread but the Focal Twins. For me the translation is excellent, since getting them, which is going on 4 years now, my mixes in general need very little tweaking at mastering. I had heard Scott Hull is setting up a 5.1 rig with twins, but uses the Duntechs for 2 channel work. For 2 channel mastering I don't know that any of the speakers in this thread are right
28th November 2012
Old 28th November 2012
t_d
Lives for gear

i use focal twins with the focal sub in my mastering setup and have many happy customers. it seems the translation is excellent.

the twins work great for me because i do a lot of mixing and writing in the same room as well. that being said, early next year i will be upgrading my speakers to another sort of "hybrid" type monitor.. likely the MM27, or maybe SM9, Neumann, or something else in that price range.

i judge the success of my system on the happiness of my customers. i don't think i'd be getting the repeat business i do if there was a major fault in my setup. i'd blame the user long before i blamed a set of speakers like the twins.

(i have felt, however, that having the sub with it really makes them shine.. or boom, or whatever.. the extra range is excellent)

looking for: simplicity
Anghello
28th November 2012
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear

Thank you guys

Receiving S1X tommorow.. I let you know what I think about them. ADAM wrote me that S3X-h are suitable for mastering and S1X is basically the very close sounding but with limitations in power. My room is 32m2 and I am quite interested how they handle it.

If I would not like S1X would give a try to Egg. Anyone tryed EGG vs. Neumann vs. S1X?

Twins are in my consideration and unity rock seems as really great too.

But would these speakers good enough for mastering? I think no. S1X would have to surprise me a lot.. but I decided to try them first before S2X.

Egg seems as marketing.. but I didn't heard them in my room. Anyone?
28th November 2012
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear

As long as you're still in the comparison mode, you should definitely investigate and try KS Digital monitors, especially the models with their FIRtech software.

Studio Monitoring Perfection: KS Digital ADM20 Firtec Studio Speakers

I researched many such higher end monitors and everyone who heard various KS units said they were remarkably better than others in their range, especially regarding phase and imaging.
28th November 2012
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear

Thank you. This is the post I am looking for
28th November 2012
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear

One GearSlutz member heard the KH 0300s and the KH 0410s, which he felt were much better all around than the 0300s, but when he/they heard the KS Digital ADM-20 they said it was so much better there was no contest about it.
28th November 2012
Old 28th November 2012
Gear addict

neumann are about to release their o300 soon.
Anghello
28th November 2012
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear

What about KS Digital C-88 ? Anyone? Better then O300?
Anghello
28th November 2012
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOBOMBER View Post
neumann are about to release their o300 soon.
Also very interesting.

I am crying now that sold JBL 4425.. don't know if any of these would bring me that 0,3db settings back and that fantastic translation to the real world.

But only con is that they required a wall-mount for accurate performance and 3m at least. Greatest monitor made in XX century IMHO. But now? Is it really all about marketing.

very interested in KS digital now. Anyone has them? What about translation? Mastering yes/no? ADL is bit above my budget but what about 88, 55.. and that interesting coaxal boxes?
Anghello
29th November 2012
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear

I am very into KS 88..

but is it good as ADL?
29th November 2012
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear

The KS 88 won't be as good as the ADM line primarily because of the lack of Firtec software. It appears that all of their monitors use the same drivers or similar. Perhaps you should contact them directly for advice and to see if they are announcing their new studio monitor line at NAMM 2013, which will have the Firtec software.

Have you looked at the ADM25?

Professional Studio Monitoring: KS Digital ADM25 with Firtec DSP
29th November 2012
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear

The new Neuman KH monitor is actually the O310 - which is the new O300.
29th November 2012
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear

Anghello
29th November 2012
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear

Thank you very much Macaroni !!

However the price of ADM 22 with DSP is twice as much as KS 88. For these money I can get Adam s3x-h or Me Geithain RL 940. Is KS88 better performing then O300?

Sorry for asking this. I know no one can't the any answer. But in case you know KS digital and I hope you would possibly know bit more the average.

Thank you
Andrew
Anghello
29th November 2012
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear

ADM 30? It seems only 1 grand more. Adm 22 is two grand ++ and its out of budget.
Anghello
29th November 2012
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear

It seems that KS 88 are better then Opal. I am considering to go for KS 88..

Any experience with KS88 ? Or Event Opal?
29th November 2012
Old 29th November 2012
Gear Head

I disliked the Focal Twins solely because of the tweeter, it was too harsh on my ears. If you are looking at the KS C88 I'd also recommend having a look at PSI monitors in that price range. I've had my A21M's (v2) for about a year and a half now, not looked back since. If it sounds good on these, it'll translate good on other systems.
29th November 2012
Old 29th November 2012
Gear Head

No experience with KS but I am looking for speakers in the same price range. I have a pair of PMC TB2SA to test in my studio. I also heard APS Aeon and the smaller Focal Speakers.
Anghello
29th November 2012
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeFragile View Post
I disliked the Focal Twins solely because of the tweeter, it was too harsh on my ears. If you are looking at the KS C88 I'd also recommend having a look at PSI monitors in that price range. I've had my A21M's (v2) for about a year and a half now, not looked back since. If it sounds good on these, it'll translate good on other systems.
heard Focals.. well.. this is not what I am going into. Maybe would try them in my studio as demo. I don't like tweeter also. Bit digitalized with less information in mid-range. That may cause disinformation between material and engineer. IMO Adam tweeters perform better and give me more information about reverbs, tiny details etc. However no shame on them, still better then some Genelecs for example.

I know Adam well.. Had one of the first A7 and it was a "bang" back then. But need more mixing/fixing information and less "fancy" monitoring.

Thank you for your recommendation. What is your experience with PSI? What monitors can you compare? I think there are a lot of guyz here who are interested in these.
Anghello
29th November 2012
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamhatter View Post
No experience with KS but I am looking for speakers in the same price range. I have a pair of PMC TB2SA to test in my studio. I also heard APS Aeon and the smaller Focal Speakers.
Interesting. People say that guys with PMC have common sounding mixes. Donno. just a girls bla bla..

There is one mastering engineer (forgot the name) who appreciated Focal Solo 6.. I do believe they are good tool. But A7 is also good tool. There are 5.1 world facilities using them. Why not? Good speaker.

But I need mastering stuff. I really master 100-150 songs a year. I always listen before do anything and to be honest can master well on anything/everywhere with my rack. However we all know that good reference is necessary. Listen to the mix and then to the master must show any added detail to the music and achieve its atmosphere and tone. I can master on A7.. and not being afraid of SX series at all.. but it seems Mackie, Genelec, Focals, M-Audio, Alesis, yamahas.. is not what am looking for. PS: from what I heard.
29th November 2012
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear

I'm sorry but I don't have any direct experience re comparing different monitors to the KS line. I'm only going by numerous comments by others who have experience with the usual monitors and have made direct comparisons.
29th November 2012
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anghello View Post
But I need mastering stuff. I really master 100-150 songs a year. I always listen before do anything and to be honest can master well on anything/everywhere with my rack. However we all know that good reference is necessary. Listen to the mix and then to the master must show any added detail to the music and achieve its atmosphere and tone. I can master on A7.. and not being afraid of SX series at all.. but it seems Mackie, Genelec, Focals, M-Audio, Alesis, yamahas.. is not what am looking for. PS: from what I heard.
What does your current setup need upgraded? Why are you upgrading in the first place?
Anghello
30th November 2012
Old 30th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusOfTrolls View Post
What does your current setup need upgraded? Why are you upgrading in the first place?
The thing is I have to move forward. In monitoring there is a need to hear every nuance of instrument, notice any distortion, and be able to precisely control dynamics.

Sometimes we don't realize how much monitors effect our decisions and the tonality of the result.

I think that to every experienced engineer at least once happened really bad translation of the mix. I call it "surprise".. not good. Wrong.

Why to invest in expensive outboard and use it incorrectly?
Anghello
30th November 2012
Old 30th November 2012
Lives for gear

Now to S1X.

After unpacking and set.. burn-in was quite necessary. I let them play for an hour at 50-70db and then did the sound cheek.

Was very disappointed at first moment. No lows at all.. I mean nothing under 60hz.. Was shocked but after every next song lows got deeper and deeper. Uff.. burn-in takes a time there It seems they need at least few days.

Nevertheless tone is beauty. If the monitors are set right they perform great (and opposite). I tried to do some mixing with them.. here are my thoughts:

+ definition
+ details in mix
+ frequency and phase are accurate
+ audible distortion in the mix/master
+ IMHO this small boy is real brother of S3X-H (tone and overall character of translation)
+ perfect in low levels
+ hardcore X Tweeter.. much better then previous model. Shows sibilants in a more noticeable way.
+ naturality
+ I don't hear the speakers

- need sub
- when pushed harder a lot of trash going in low mids and base.. woofer should perform above 80hz..
- no CINCH!! Yes.. I need RCA's in my speaker.
- volume limitations
- power down in the back of the speaker (sometimes you want to turn off speaker or mute it)
- need more controls in the back
- why so small?

Overall it's a great speaker. And you can mix-master with it easily. But I miss power. I am not a sub lover and any hyped kick makes me turn down the volume of the speaker.. but this time I don't hear any convenient monitoring of the low-end here (surprisingly).

Now I am considering about S2x.. don't about kh120 anymore because it's less power in it. However eggs are also not interesting for me anymore. I didn't hear both.. but I definitely satisfied with SX.. only thing I miss now is power. This is the reason why considering mid-range KS88 or at least S2X.

But KS 88 is still in my mind. Anyone compared these with Adam? Would be very helpful. I think I am going into 88 anyway.. three-way midrange is three-way midrange. But it must perform at least as good as S1X in high-mid-range.

Thanks anyone for help! Really appreciate!

Andrew
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search