Login / Register

What converter are you using with your Weiss gear?
New Reply
Subscribe
Slug1
26th November 2012
Old 26th November 2012
Lives for gear

What converter are you using with your Weiss gear?

Hopefully Santa will bring me a second EQ to compliment my mastering massivo. Weiss MKII or Maselec MEA2. Millenia NSEQ2 FF or NSEQ4 are in the running too. I know there are wonderful plugins for transparent eq, but analog workflow works best for me. My brain says Weiss, but my gut says Maselec. Weiss is the ultimate in software digital eq, but with analog workflow.

One question though and it might sound dumb. Since Weiss is digital I/O, I'm assuming I'll need a front end A/D and back end D/A if I insert it into an analog chain or console. Correct?? I guess placement is important. If its at the beginning it can just go straight digital from my Hilo. If its at the end it can feed my Hilo digital input. But it seems there will need to be analog conversion if its attached at any point into my chain. So what are you guys using before and/or after the Weiss for conversion? Not to obsess over it, but want the highest quality chain that I can get.
bendermastering
Verified Member
27th November 2012
Old 27th November 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
Hopefully Santa will bring me a second EQ to compliment my mastering massivo. Weiss MKII or Maselec MEA2. Millenia NSEQ2 FF or NSEQ4 are in the running too. I know there are wonderful plugins for transparent eq, but analog workflow works best for me. My brain says Weiss, but my gut says Maselec. Weiss is the ultimate in software digital eq, but with analog workflow.

One question though and it might sound dumb. Since Weiss is digital I/O, I'm assuming I'll need a front end A/D and back end D/A if I insert it into an analog chain or console. Correct?? I guess placement is important. If its at the beginning it can just go straight digital from my Hilo. If its at the end it can feed my Hilo digital input. But it seems there will need to be analog conversion if its attached at any point into my chain. So what are you guys using before and/or after the Weiss for conversion? Not to obsess over it, but want the highest quality chain that I can get.
If I had a digital outboard processor I would run it with digital I/O. It does not make sense to do the extra conversions and I see no harm in not having the digital gear in the same chain as the analogue one.

// Bender Mastering Studio - My studio website.
// BLENDER - My personal blog. Some gear reviews there.
Slug1
13th December 2012
Old 13th December 2012
Lives for gear

I tried to kill this thought but its hard to believe that people don't have digital and analog gear in the same chain or have digital gear inserted into analog transfer cases. So if I had a Weiss eq, I would do my digital eqing and capture just that. Then take that captured audio and then rerun it through the analog compressor if I needed it? Really? Not to say that there might not be a need for that workflow but no one does simultaneous digital and analog outboard treatments?
Adam Dempsey
Verified Member
13th December 2012
Old 13th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
Not to say that there might not be a need for that workflow but no one does simultaneous digital and analog outboard treatments?
Of course but any extra high quality D-A and A-D conversion* is for the analogue path, not digital. Run digital outboard via digital I/O, either pre and/or post the analogue.

*Lavry Gold, Lavry Blue, Forssell and Cranesong here.
Is adding presence the same as subtracting absence?
Slug1
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
Lives for gear

Appreciate the feedback Adam. Totally get it. Probably why I'm gonna grab the Maselec instead of the Weiss. And maybe a Dangerous Liaison.

I see the Public Enemy poster on your wall. Did you guys master some of those tracks?
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear addict

I use the Weiss ADC2 for AD going to Wavelab or Protools depending on the project.

I use 3 different converters do go in /out to analog gears depending on taste:
UA2192
Lynx Aurora
Lavry blue (main and monitoring D/A)

I also have AD/DA on my H800FW Eventide if I need more

I try to keep the WEISS EQ1-DYN-LP and the WEISS DS1 at the end of the chain in digital going out to the Lavry blue to the monitors

Hope I am making sense
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by francois View Post
I use the Weiss ADC2 for AD going to Wavelab or Protools depending on the project.

I use 3 different converters do go in /out to analog gears depending on taste:
UA2192
Lynx Aurora
Lavry blue (main and monitoring D/A)

I also have AD/DA on my H800FW Eventide if I need more

I try to keep the WEISS EQ1-DYN-LP and the WEISS DS1 at the end of the chain in digital going out to the Lavry blue to the monitors

Hope I am making sense
Perfect sense! Appreciate the feedback and helps me think about signal flow and workflow. Thanks a bunch.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search