"Limiter No.6"
DrAudioBot
27th June 2012
Old 27th June 2012
Gear addict

"Limiter No.6"

Hey experts ;-)

I've seen the beta version of the plugin being discussed in here weeks (months?) ago. The final version is out and I think it's pretty incredible sounding.
Thought I'd mention it here, since many of you surely don't look into the "News" section of GS.

Curious what the guys with 10k speakers and golden ears have to say...

Limiter No.6

- 5 modules: RMS compressor, peak limiter, high-frequency limiter, clipper, true peak limiter
- high-quality signal processing to use for mastering purposes
- brickwall and soft limiting with different timing settings
- M/S and multiband modes
- optional 4x oversampling
- true inter-sample peaks (ISP) limiting
- analog-style indication
- 2 different GUIs

LINK: Limiter No.6

GUI 1:

GUI 2:
27th June 2012
Old 27th June 2012
Gear nut

for me, this is hands down one of the best if not the best gainstaging/limiting plugin out there. even the alpha version, made 3 of my limiters useless, now the release version has even more handy features. great!
Shawn Hatfield
Verified Member
27th June 2012
Old 27th June 2012
Lives for gear

Still waiting on an Audio Unit, but I'm intrigued.
27th June 2012
Old 27th June 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twerk View Post
Still waiting on an Audio Unit, but I'm intrigued.
You could try to use the VST AU Manager from CDSoundMaster to wrap it. This plugin only show up in stereo.
inlinenl
Verified Member
27th June 2012
Old 27th June 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Thnx for sharing ... why not have a try :-)))
Shawn Hatfield
Verified Member
27th June 2012
Old 27th June 2012
Lives for gear

I tried a wrapper but had some GUI issues. I was able to test it out though in a VST enabled editor. I really like the options. It sounds pretty good compared to my other favorite limiters.

I was testing it on some acoustic rock and the main thing I noticed is that it ate up some of the transients and clarity around the snare regardless of what settings I used, unless I just went for a quieter master. Which is fine, but I had two other limiters preserve that information more gracefully at higher levels. I'll mess around with it some more after work when I have more time to explore different settings, but it definitely seemed good.
27th June 2012
Old 27th June 2012
Gear nut

No GUI issues for me with the VST AU Manager here. It seems to work great. Best wrapper I tried. Move all VST plugins you do not want to wrap into a temporay folder and wrap. Move the others back. In Logic they will now show up as normal AU. Not in a VST folder as with the old Fxpansion ... This plugin will on a stereo track show up under "Vladislav Goncharov", or you could hit the ALT-key (Option) to force it on a mono track.
Shawn Hatfield
Verified Member
27th June 2012
Old 27th June 2012
Lives for gear

Good to know, thanks. I'll give it a try.
huejahfink
Verified Member
27th June 2012
Old 27th June 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I think it's well worth digging into my pocket to make a donation on this!
Have been using the beta quite a bit lately
Not sure if I'm in the same camp as Johnny (made other limiters 'useless') but it certainly beat some of my regular contenders in enough cases to make it worth sticking around as a serious option.
Another great tool in the box for sure.....
Deleted User #43636
27th June 2012
Old 27th June 2012
Deleted User #43636

Quote:

I was testing it on some acoustic rock and the main thing I noticed is that it ate up some of the transients and clarity around the snare regardless of what settings I used, unless I just went for a quieter master. Which is fine, but I had two other limiters preserve that information more gracefully at higher levels. I'll mess around with it some more after work when I have more time to explore different settings, but it definitely seemed good.
I noticed something similar when I first demoed the alpha version. The limiter module needs some tweaking to do its best. The way it reacts isnt appropriate for every style of music.
As with other modular plug ins, it's not always needed to use all the modules at the same time. I started to get very good results when adding some of the modules to other plug-in and/or OTB processing. It will not totally replace any of the other limiters I own, but is certainly a greatly useful addition to my set-up. It's a very good set of tools.
27th June 2012
Old 27th June 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by huejahfink View Post
I think it's well worth digging into my pocket to make a donation on this!
Have been using the beta quite a bit lately
Not sure if I'm in the same camp as Johnny (made other limiters 'useless') but it certainly beat some of my regular contenders in enough cases to make it worth sticking around as a serious option.
Another great tool in the box for sure.....
pretty well put, well thats what i meant. i simply cant find me in another case now, where i need another one, since i was able to manage all the problems occured with this little beast. just as you said, another very great tool in the arsenal!
27th June 2012
Old 27th June 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
I tried a wrapper but had some GUI issues. I was able to test it out though in a VST enabled editor. I really like the options. It sounds pretty good compared to my other favorite limiters.

are you sure, that you did turn off the HF-Limiting unit ?
Shawn Hatfield
Verified Member
28th June 2012
Old 28th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyReverb View Post
are you sure, that you did turn off the HF-Limiting unit ?
Of course, that was the first thing I turned off.

I've been RTFM during breaks here at the studio and I'll take another crack at it using some different combinations of settings. Seems promising.

Edit: Had some more time to play with this and I'm definitely enjoying it. My only gripe atm is the settings aren't being saved properly with the recommended AU Manager wrapper. GUI works fine though.

Still wishing I had a native AU.
28th June 2012
Old 28th June 2012
Gear nut

I am not a ME but I have always been under the impression that comp goes before EQ. How are you guys using this plug with the rest of your processing? Do you use a comp > EQ > then use this entire plug in? I know there is never a 1 size fits all. I wondered the same thing about the Slate FG-X. I love the Molot and can't wait to try this.
28th June 2012
Old 28th June 2012
Gear nut

testing it right now on some rock tracks.
It is quite simple to reach hi levels. Feels transparent.
Using two instances to gain stage before analog chian and at the very end of the chain is quite impressive.
The tracks are already been delivered and limited with ProL some month ago.
It seems easier to me obtain a coerent, loud level with Limiter6. I want to check it on slow, crunchy pop.
Deleted User #43636
28th June 2012
Old 28th June 2012
Deleted User #43636

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswenk View Post
I am not a ME but I have always been under the impression that comp goes before EQ. How are you guys using this plug with the rest of your processing? Do you use a comp > EQ > then use this entire plug in? I know there is never a 1 size fits all. I wondered the same thing about the Slate FG-X. I love the Molot and can't wait to try this.
It is certainly possible to run several instances in order to insert other plug-ins between the modules (which is the way i use it). Anyway, the Lim6 compressor module isnt a regular compressor, it's meant to be a leveler with slow attack time which will not replace another more 'standard' compressor (if one is needed, which isnt always the case during mastering). IMO, it has to be used carefully because it can kill depth in mixes if abused.
Think of Lim6 as a tool box rather than just one tool which all modules are automatically to be used in any case.
28th June 2012
Old 28th June 2012
Gear nut

Thanks for the input...I actually just recalled a 2-track session and replaced my L3 Multi with this and WOW! I am able to get the volume without losing the depth and punch. I don't even feel like I am pushing it at all. Amazing.
28th June 2012
Old 28th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswenk View Post
It's probably most common to find EQ before compression in mastering, if compression is used at all.
Bob Olhsson
Verified Member
28th June 2012
Old 28th June 2012
Motown legend

Verified Member
What's common is to listen both ways and go with the one that sounds better!
28th June 2012
Old 28th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
What's common is to listen both ways and go with the one that sounds better!
I like the sound of EQ before compression in general. I also like the way it sounds on my favorite records done by engineers like Doug Sax, Dave Collins and Bernie Grundman.
29th June 2012
Old 29th June 2012
Lives for gear

The thread is kind of changing, but I like this topic of eq before or after.

I have VariMu and Massive Passive and keep the VariMu in front for mojo. Most of what I do in mastering is EQ so I like the compressor first. These two are followed by my new Dangerous Bax as an alternative for shelves. Now that I have the Bax I'm going to experiment more with massivo in front for surgical work, followed by VariMu, with the Bax at the end for sweetening.

I agree though that it depends on the work. That's what's great about the transfer consoles that have flip switches to allow you to listen to them in both orders to see what sounds best in the event that you need to use both. But one thing about eq before compression is that if you set things up on the compressor and happen to go back and change the eq, you're almost always going to have to readjust compression because changes in eq almost always affect dynamics. So its a toss up, but that's why I need a transfer console with a flip switch. Next up on my wish list; TK Blender + Dangerous Liaison!
29th June 2012
Old 29th June 2012
Gear nut

[QUOTE=Slug1;8021126]The thread is kind of changing, but I like this topic of eq before or after.

Yeah sorry about that...I just got curious because all of these mastering tools seem to lack EQ sections. Thanks for all of the input. I will start alternating the order of comp/eq and see what works for me.

But man I worked with this thing again last night and I am just head over heels in love with it. It took effort, serious effort to make it sound bad. As soon as I can...I will be donating. Can't wait for an EQ!
29th June 2012
Old 29th June 2012
Gear addict

Sonic Soundblade doesn't load it... any idea why??? i want to try it!!!
29th June 2012
Old 29th June 2012
I'm stoked with Limiter6,it's very surprising,it's the only limiter,when going for the ubiquitous louder,and I mean LOUDER mix,that does not exhibit,noticable artifacts,and also pumping,quite amazing,compared to stuff that costs hundred[s] of dollars!......I just wish I could donate without playpal.

RK

EDIT:I must point out that:although I'm old,I'm new to computers,and paypal have been difficult[to say the least]and I was wondering if one CAN donate "without" using PP,and using your credit card ONLY?
30th June 2012
Old 30th June 2012
Gear maniac

Shawn Hatfield
Verified Member
30th June 2012
Old 30th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladg View Post
Also, there's no 64-bit Mac version yet.
So there's plans for such?
1st July 2012
Old 1st July 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
So there's plans for such?
Yes, of course! As also for AU sooner or later.
Table Of Tone
Verified Member
1st July 2012
Old 1st July 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I've made a sonic style blue GUI for the release version of Vlad's plug.
Also modded Vlad's background to match the language boxes.
Did a Psyc GUI just for fun

Here's some screenshots
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Limiter 6 V1.0 Sonic GUI.jpg (72.1 KB, 1000 views) File Type: jpg Limiter 6 Psyc GUI.jpg (79.2 KB, 870 views) File Type: jpg Limiter 6 Modded Vladg GUI.jpg (117.0 KB, 953 views)
3rd July 2012
Old 3rd July 2012
Lives for gear

Sorry for being offtopic, Ade, are you the man behind Orange Amplifiers brand???
Riccardo
Verified Member
3rd July 2012
Old 3rd July 2012
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladg View Post
Yes, of course! As also for AU sooner or later.
This is really good news!
The beta worked sort of fine in soundBlade 2.0 with the occasional hiccup. I haven't found the time yet to try V1 on SB 2.01 but Sonic hates most VSTs and works well with most AUs.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search