Matching track volumes on a CD: one is quite quiet
Old 5th May 2012
  #1
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Matching track volumes on a CD: one is quite quiet

Hey:

So i need to master a CD of 11 tracks:

10 tracks are roughly in the same area of perceived loudness

but

1 track is a fair bit quieter




Re-mastering this one track is not an option.......

should i turn down all 10 tracks just so they fit appropriately in perceived loudness with this quieter single track? Seems like a bit of a shame to turn them all down for the sake of one?

thanks for your help
Old 5th May 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 
huejahfink's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Why is it not an option to change the 1 track? Genuine question.
Old 5th May 2012
  #3
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
it was mastered elsewhere and has been limited.

i'm only compiling the CD, and there is a deadline coming up (monday)
Old 5th May 2012
  #4
Lives for gear
 
huejahfink's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Is the nature of the track similar to the others?
If the track is naturally quieter due to it's overall spirit, mood and arrangement then maybe not to worry about it and just let it be quieter.

Personally I wouldn't worry about 're'processing the quiet track to make it a bit louder even though it has already been limited once. You don't necessarily have to go "all the way". If you are not confident to do that, and insist that the tracks should have the same perceived volume - then yeah, turn the other ones down. But if you are doing it from 16bit files that have already been processed, this could be more destructive than pushing the quieter one.

What is the compilation for may I ask?
Old 5th May 2012
  #5
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by huejahfink View Post
Is the nature of the track similar to the others?
If the track is naturally quieter due to it's overall spirit, mood and arrangement then maybe not to worry about it and just let it be quieter.

Personally I wouldn't worry about 're'processing the quiet track to make it a bit louder even though it has already been limited once. You don't necessarily have to go "all the way". If you are not confident to do that, and insist that the tracks should have the same perceived volume - then yeah, turn the other ones down. But if you are doing it from 16bit files that have already been processed, this could be more destructive than pushing the quieter one.

What is the compilation for may I ask?
it's of a similar nature to the other tracks on the CD (all tech house style)

so i just pushed it by another dB with a limiter and that seems closer to solving the problem: i was worried that re-limiting a limited file would be a big no-no but it sounds ok

i might just roll with that!
Old 6th May 2012
  #6
Lives for gear
 
huejahfink's Avatar
 

Verified Member
It might not be ideal but you have to roll with what's best for the compilation in the time permitted. By the sound of things it's turning out ok.
Old 10th May 2012
  #7
Gear addict
 
acorneau's Avatar
 

Verified Member
One more option...

Turn the one track up a bit and turn the others down just a touch. You'd be surprised what a half dB up and a half dB down will do.
Old 10th May 2012
  #8
Lives for gear
 
huejahfink's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by acorneau View Post
You'd be surprised what a half dB up and a half dB down will do.
Bring the relative levels 1dB closer? Just a wild guess
Old 11th May 2012
  #9
Gear addict
 
acorneau's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by huejahfink View Post
Bring the relative levels 1dB closer? Just a wild guess
Right; instead of boosting/limiting the one quieter track a full +1dB, only go +0.5dB and bring the others down a half dB. If 2dB is needed then go +1/-1 to give you the 2dB difference.

Again, just another option.
Old 11th May 2012
  #10
Lives for gear
 
huejahfink's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Completely understood the 1st time, yep totally valid....... just that turn of phrase "You'd be surprised" made me chuckle is all.
Good day!
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
sneezebomb / So much gear, so little time!
7
Creative Apathy / Rap + Hip Hop engineering & production
28
Seek / Drums!
44
recall / Music Computers
0
JRo / Low End Theory
6

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.