Subscribe
I.R.Baboon
1st May 2012
Old 1st May 2012
Lives for gear

ITU-R BS.1770 - thoughts?

Any views on this?

Is it a good thing?

I occasionally master commercials and i have one particular client who's stressing about it.

He suggested that i just master in my normal way, send him the tracks and he'll drop down the volume down to the required level.

Will this yield satisfactory results?

Thanks!
1st May 2012
Old 1st May 2012
Gear maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to ramil
I think its way forwards when used in right hands.
Greg Reierson
Verified Member
2nd May 2012
Old 2nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by I.R.Baboon View Post
He suggested that i just master in my normal way, send him the tracks and he'll drop down the volume down to the required level.

Use EQ and compression as you normally would for the sound you want but go lightly on the limiting. There is no loudness war under 1770 (in fact it's the antidote to the loudness war) so you don't have to compromise sound quality for level. Any peaks that got past your compression are probably musically important so let them be and your mix will sound better than those who needlessly crush their mixes.

There are a few LUFS meters out now that can help you monitor your levels with reference to that system. They may be worth having if you plan to do a lot of commercial work.

GR

"If the album isn't competing for singles airplay in focus groups, forget about loudness!" - Bob Olhsson
pmx
Verified Member
2nd May 2012
Old 2nd May 2012
pmx
Mastering Engineer

Verified Member
in the mastering of music, "1770" doesn't have a use as there is no standard in music when it comes to loudness. commercials are not music but post, and there 1770 is compulsory.

so your client is right about stressing it, but i would suggest you just deliver the program 1770-compliant. toneboosters has a very cheap (windows) plugin, nugen audio has a more expensive version and there are more plugin based and hardware based options out there.
3rd May 2012
Old 3rd May 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Verified Member
The latest version of the RME Digicheck software now features an ITU meter.
3rd May 2012
Old 3rd May 2012
Gear maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to ramil
I recently checked my friends new rme interface and was suprised that it had LU meters!! flux analyzer system got them as well... tc can offer similar thing as well
UnderTow
Verified Member
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderTow
Quote:
Originally Posted by I.R.Baboon View Post
Any views on this?

Is it a good thing?

I occasionally master commercials and i have one particular client who's stressing about it.

Thanks!
If you (or someone else) just lowers a crushed version to meet the new specs, it will sound small and without impact compared to something that was mixed directly for the new metering styles.

I often get crushed material that needs to get included in TV mixes I do (within, just before or just after) and if I line it up to be exactly the same level in LUFS or LKFS as my mix it usually sounds quite a bit less loud. (And ugly because of the extra distortion).

So as others have suggested, get yourself a good meter and mix/master to those specs rather than just dropping the level after the fact. You will get better results.

Alistair
Ben F
Verified Member
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I think it is a great. The ITU 1770 standard is law for broadcasters in the US, in Australia everyone is becoming more aware of the standard but it is not law (yet). Most broadcasters adhere to LKFS -24 anyway.

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search