Login / Register
 
Extract noise from a recording
New Reply
Subscribe
geolad
Thread Starter
#1
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
  #1
Gear interested
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 11

Thread Starter
geolad is offline
Extract noise from a recording

Is there a program/plug-in that can extract the noise from a recording and save it as a separate WAV file?
Most denoisers (e.g. VOXENGO Redunoise, WAVES X-Noise etc.) require a noise profile. They can extract it from a selected (only noise) part of the recording, and then save this noise profile in their own file format.
Some other denoisers (e.g. Algorithmix NoiseFree, WAVES Z-Noise etc.) can also extract the noise profile from a contaminated recording (i.e. music+noise), and then again save this noise profile in their own file format.
But is there a program/plug-in that could give the full only noise in a WAV file?
#2
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 
MAzevedo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 581

MAzevedo is offline
RX can do this. There is a checkbox in the Denoiser to monitor what is being removed instead of what is being kept. If you export the file with the box checked, all you get is the noise. (Which is something I've done unintentionally many times.)
__________________
~Matt Azevedo
Consultant in Acoustics www.acentech.com
Freelance Mastering, Production, and Design
geolad
Thread Starter
#3
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
  #3
Gear interested
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 11

Thread Starter
geolad is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAzevedo View Post
RX can do this. There is a checkbox in the Denoiser to monitor what is being removed instead of what is being kept. If you export the file with the box checked, all you get is the noise. (Which is something I've done unintentionally many times.)
Thanks. I will give it a try. I have the impression it gives the noise removed (reduced by 12dB) from the recording, with a white noise profile at -60dB.
#4
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
  #4
Gear addict
 
ctms777's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Maastricht

ctms777 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by geolad View Post
Is there a program/plug-in that can extract the noise from a recording and save it as a separate WAV file?
Most denoisers (e.g. VOXENGO Redunoise, WAVES X-Noise etc.) require a noise profile. They can extract it from a selected (only noise) part of the recording, and then save this noise profile in their own file format.
Some other denoisers (e.g. Algorithmix NoiseFree, WAVES Z-Noise etc.) can also extract the noise profile from a contaminated recording (i.e. music+noise), and then again save this noise profile in their own file format.
But is there a program/plug-in that could give the full only noise in a WAV file?
Waves X-noise, z-noise, Izotope RX and probably some other denoisers all have the ability to "output noise only", so you can hear what you're taking away. If you check the "output noise only" button when processing, you'll get the noise only, but it'll be very "chirpy" sounding because of the steepness of the filters.
geolad
Thread Starter
#5
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
  #5
Gear interested
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 11

Thread Starter
geolad is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctms777 View Post
Waves X-noise, z-noise, Izotope RX and probably some other denoisers all have the ability to "output noise only", so you can hear what you're taking away. If you check the "output noise only" button when processing, you'll get the noise only, but it'll be very "chirpy" sounding because of the steepness of the filters.
I do not wish to define parameters for denoising and hence get what is taken out.
When Z-noise for example extracts the noise profile from the contaminated recording (and not a noise only part of it), it apparently decides what is noise and what is music. Can I get what it has decided is noise?
Or, am I asking too much?
Alexey Lukin
Verified Member
#6
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Alexey Lukin's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 970

Verified Member
Alexey Lukin is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by geolad View Post
But is there a program/plug-in that could give the full only noise in a WAV file?
Perhaps you need a Deconstruct tool from RX 2 Advanced? It separates the file into noisy and tonal parts, so you can save them separately. No noise training is required, but you may need to adjust the detector's noisy/tonal balance.
geolad
Thread Starter
#7
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
  #7
Gear interested
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 11

Thread Starter
geolad is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexey Lukin View Post
Perhaps you need a Deconstruct tool from RX 2 Advanced? It separates the file into noisy and tonal parts, so you can save them separately. No noise training is required, but you may need to adjust the detector's noisy/tonal balance.
Thanks. I think your suggestion comes closest to what I had in mind.
How well does this job of separating the noise from the music? I once knew that it was like white coffee: once they have been mixed together, it is extremely difficult to separate the milk from the coffee. Have the algorithms improved enough to provide us with such an option?
Alexey Lukin
Verified Member
#8
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Alexey Lukin's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 970

Verified Member
Alexey Lukin is offline
It depends on what you call noise. This algorithm considers drums, percussion, sibilants, flute air, cello bow scratching to be noise. It does not consider usefulness of any sounds, it just searches for tones, harmonics, etc.
geolad
Thread Starter
#9
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
  #9
Gear interested
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 11

Thread Starter
geolad is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexey Lukin View Post
It depends on what you call noise. This algorithm considers drums, percussion, sibilants, flute air, cello bow scratching to be noise. It does not consider usefulness of any sounds, it just searches for tones, harmonics, etc.
Thanks again Alexey Lukin for your clear answer.
Apparently there is a long way to go to achieve such a feast... We probably need more artificial intelligence!
But, if "drums, percussion, sibilants, flute air, cello bow scratching" are noise, then... have you honestly found any usefulness at all in this Deconstruct module?
Alexey Lukin
Verified Member
#10
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Alexey Lukin's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 970

Verified Member
Alexey Lukin is offline
Yes, it has both creative and restorative uses. Creative uses include giving more/less more air to flutes, more/less bow sounds to cellos, manipulating timbre of instruments. Restorative uses are noise reduction for old vinyl/shellac records (along with the denoiser), elimination of clipping artifacts (along with the declipper).
geolad
Thread Starter
#11
8th April 2012
Old 8th April 2012
  #11
Gear interested
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 11

Thread Starter
geolad is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexey Lukin View Post
Yes, it has both creative and restorative uses. Creative uses include giving more/less more air to flutes, more/less bow sounds to cellos, manipulating timbre of instruments. Restorative uses are noise reduction for old vinyl/shellac records (along with the denoiser), elimination of clipping artifacts (along with the declipper).
I can not think of anyone using the Deconstruct module for creative use. Izotope includes it in its restoration suite and not in any creative suites.
My idea of noise is mains/hum, rumble, vinyl surface noise, tape noise etc
If I could not isolate these from "drums, percussion, sibilants, flute air, cello bow scratching", then I would dress it up "for creative purposes".
#12
8th April 2012
Old 8th April 2012
  #12
Lives for gear
 
sat159p1's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 818

sat159p1 is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAzevedo View Post
RX can do this. There is a checkbox in the Denoiser to monitor what is being removed instead of what is being kept. If you export the file with the box checked, all you get is the noise. (Which is something I've done unintentionally many times.)
Yes, the same for Audition.
You can try the 5.5 version - is dowloadable from Adobe site and it's a fully functional 30-day trial.
__________________
"This is Gearslutz, it's all about paying for sh*t you can hardly hear, don't really need and few other people actually care about."
Cellotron
Verified Member
#13
9th April 2012
Old 9th April 2012
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Cellotron's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 3,894

Verified Member
Cellotron is offline
geolad
Thread Starter
#14
9th April 2012
Old 9th April 2012
  #14
Gear interested
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 11

Thread Starter
geolad is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by sat159p1 View Post
Yes, the same for Audition.
You can try the 5.5 version - is dowloadable from Adobe site and it's a fully functional 30-day trial.
I cannot see how Audition can extract the noise to a WAV file. It requires a noise only segment to create a noise profile and then performs its noise reduction process. All it can give in a file is the noise that it has removed according to your denoising parameters.
#15
9th April 2012
Old 9th April 2012
  #15
Gear addict
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 374

Hane is offline
I've read your post Geolad and I'm still confused as to how you want the software to remove noise.
I thought the answers other posters have given you were what you're looking for but, it seems it isn't.

Do you want the software to automatically detect a signal that has no specific tone, no harmonics that can occur at any level like white noise while rejecting signals with tones, harmonics that's drastically changing in level as in music?
#16
9th April 2012
Old 9th April 2012
  #16
Lives for gear
 
MAzevedo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 581

MAzevedo is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by geolad View Post
I can not think of anyone using the Deconstruct module for creative use. Izotope includes it in its restoration suite and not in any creative suites.
My idea of noise is mains/hum, rumble, vinyl surface noise, tape noise etc
If I could not isolate these from "drums, percussion, sibilants, flute air, cello bow scratching", then I would dress it up "for creative purposes".
I use RX Advanced creatively as well as for restoration, for anyone interested in sound design it's really a goldmine of processing options. I've previously used the spectral repair to alter string noise for artistic reasons, which worked great but took forever. I'll give the Deconstruct a try next time.
geolad
Thread Starter
#17
9th April 2012
Old 9th April 2012
  #17
Gear interested
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 11

Thread Starter
geolad is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellotron View Post
Acon Digital's Denoiser is yet another plugin that can separate what it is set to extract to a separate file if you wish.

Studio Clean | DirectX & VST Plug-In Suite - Noise Reduction & Audio Restoration

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Thanks Steve.
What a humble giant this software is! It may not do what I wanted, but its restoration process offers a very good sound. I can not see why it does not output beyond 44.1kHz sample rate.
geolad
Thread Starter
#18
9th April 2012
Old 9th April 2012
  #18
Gear interested
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 11

Thread Starter
geolad is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hane View Post
I've read your post Geolad and I'm still confused as to how you want the software to remove noise.
I thought the answers other posters have given you were what you're looking for but, it seems it isn't.

Do you want the software to automatically detect a signal that has no specific tone, no harmonics that can occur at any level like white noise while rejecting signals with tones, harmonics that's drastically changing in level as in music?
Yes, that's what I had in mind. But I now think it is probably a utopia.
As you describe it though, mains hum has specific tone and harmonics. Where would the software place it, noise or music?
Or, as Alexey Lukin described it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexey Lukin View Post
It does not consider usefulness of any sounds, it just searches for tones, harmonics, etc.
Is there such a program, that takes into account "usefulness of any sounds"?
geolad
Thread Starter
#19
9th April 2012
Old 9th April 2012
  #19
Gear interested
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 11

Thread Starter
geolad is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAzevedo View Post
I use RX Advanced creatively as well as for restoration, for anyone interested in sound design it's really a goldmine of processing options. I've previously used the spectral repair to alter string noise for artistic reasons, which worked great but took forever.
You are very innovative, MAzevedo. Personally I would never have thought of using a restoration suite for creative/artistic things.
#20
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
  #20
Lives for gear
 
sat159p1's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 818

sat159p1 is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by geolad View Post
I cannot see how Audition can extract the noise to a WAV file. It requires a noise only segment to create a noise profile and then performs its noise reduction process. All it can give in a file is the noise that it has removed according to your denoising parameters.
Hmmm... Now I know what's on your mind. But it's very hard to "extract noise" from a file without selecting part of that noise. Every noise is different, every tape has its own hiss characteristics, etc.

But You can try this suite Wave Arts | Suites - try the demo from their site. I demo'ed it some time ago and itt can keep the "only hiss" with its own controls without plotting the noise by user.
#21
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
  #21
Gear addict
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 374

Hane is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by geolad View Post
Yes, that's what I had in mind. But I now think it is probably a utopia.
As you describe it though, mains hum has specific tone and harmonics. Where would the software place it, noise or music?
Mains hum does have a tone and harmonics but, it's usually at a static level compared to music. Maybe software can be programmed to detect constant pitch signals and treat it as noise though, I could be wrong.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
hrn / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
10
dcharrison / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
14
Westmalle / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
10
Haam / So much gear, so little time!
4

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.