My second analogue EQ
Joe_caithness
Verified Member
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
My second analogue EQ

so following on from my first analogue EQ thread which has had many a bump and millions of PMs sent in my direction.. number 2 in the making right now, check this out:

"Switches along the top:

Input transformers in/out
Output transformers in/out
HPF in/out (removes HPF from signal path)
EQ bypass (transformers & MS still work with EQ bypassed)
MS mode on/off
MS solo
MS solo channel select (M or S)
MS solo pre/post (pre removes all EQ circuitry from signal path)
6dB (6dB pad, works only in MS mode)

Hard bypass on the left routes the inputs to the outputs, removing everything from the signal path.

All the switches are in pairs where applicable so each channel can be switched independently. Might come in useful for some obscure task..

HPF is 18dB/oct switchable at 12 frequencies: 16, 19, 23, 28, 33, 39, 46, 55, 65, 78, 93, 110.
These are set 3 semitones apart starting at C0 to get a nice even range.

Input trim: 0 to -5.5dB in 12 x 1/2dB steps.
Output trim: +/-5.5dB in 23 x 1/2dB steps

The rest of the knobs are the standard EQ3D stuff.!"
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Gear addict

nice
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Yep, very nice!
Looking forward to see how thing progress...
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Gear nut

This is a great idea
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

With all the great EQ's out there already............if you come out with something new and different, I will buy you a beer at the local pub.
Joe_caithness
Verified Member
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
He we're working on it!

Some interesting adaptations of the DIY nite/air design essentially, it's an experimental one, but should go great with my fixed stereo design other EQ as it opens up LR and MS and some shelf points I couldn't previously reach!
aleatoric
Verified Member
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Verified Member
Nice! Looks really cool Joe! Is it being built by the same guy who designed your other EQ? I love the frequency selections for the HPF. What kind of switchable transformers in the input and output stages will you be using?
Joe_caithness
Verified Member
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleatoric View Post
Nice! Looks really cool Joe! Is it being built by the same guy who designed your other EQ? I love the frequency selections for the HPF. What kind of switchable transformers in the input and output stages will you be using?
Yeah it is, we spent many a phone call looking into designs and discussing the limitations of my current set up.

The HPF is designed so that you can use to it also shape the shelf boost a little, but also use it cut any useless sub freqs pre-compression.

The trannies are Lundhals, not sure of the models, waiting to find out.

It's the Nite EQ DIY design but redesigned from the ground up from the original documents, the PCB is self etched.

Front panel is completely Mark Watson's design and the M/S matrix is built from the ground up also.
Ruairi
Verified Member
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Lundahls are great transformers, some of the best. That said I wouldn't bother making them switchable, they are as good as invisible. if you are adding a switchable transformer option add something with real colour.

I'm speaking from experience on this one.
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Banned

this device can make a grown man cry
Ben F
Verified Member
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruairi View Post
Lundahls are great transformers, some of the best. That said I wouldn't bother making them switchable, they are as good as invisible. if you are adding a switchable transformer option add something with real colour.

I'm speaking from experience on this one.
That is true.

Look forward to seeing the completed project!
Joe_caithness
Verified Member
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Oh something I neglected to mention, all the dials are switches
Tim Farrant
Verified Member
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012

Verified Member
I assume the bands are bell shape, what Q or bandwidth will they be? Fixed bandwith is a bit limiting in a mastering EQ, from what I know.
dcollins
Verified Member
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Farrant View Post
I assume the bands are bell shape, what Q or bandwidth will they be? Fixed bandwith is a bit limiting in a mastering EQ, from what I know.
It appears to be a clone of the Night Technologies EQ's. It has the same odd frequency choices, and I believe it's broad-band peaking save for the 2k5, sub, and 'air' bands, the latter of which has selectable frequencies from 2k5 to 40kHz.

The original designer was Cliff Maag, and they still make eq's.

Maag Audio | EQ4 - 500 Series

DC
Cellotron
Verified Member
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
An NTI EQ3 clone is one of the many projects over at Prodigy Pro / Group DIY - 3D "AIR" EQ - "Night EQ" PCB's Complete!

This group is the originator for some other common diy clone projects, such as take offs on the Sontec MEP250 series and SSL 4000 comps.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
dcollins
Verified Member
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellotron View Post
An NTI EQ3 clone is one of the many projects over at Prodigy Pro / Group DIY - 3D "AIR" EQ - "Night EQ" PCB's Complete!

This group is the originator for some other common diy clone projects, such as take offs on the Sontec MEP250 series and SSL 4000 comps.
Yes, I'm familiar with it. I have read every post by that PRR guy, what a great resource.

DC
Joe_caithness
Verified Member
5th April 2012
Old 5th April 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Farrant View Post
They all are bar the AIR shelf, and yeah the freqs are fixed, it's not an unknown concept, it's just a graphic EQ essentially but with just a few big wide overlapping freqs.

It's really the AIR shelf which is the selling factor for this design, I was basically on the lookout for a design which allowed me to use my MEP250 style DIY build to do lower reaching top end tilts and do more extreme "add some sparkle" shelving at the same time, after some research this Nightpro design appeared to be the one to go for in that respect. The other bands are really a bonus, but I cans see some situations where the sub boost might come in useful in a similar situation at the other end.

The addition of the M/S matrix will come in very useful also as my MEP250 clone is a ganged stereo design, meaning any little "the side just needs a whisper more top end" type applications cannot be done, apart from in digital, and I would much rather dial it in before capture right after/before the MEP250 clone.

I didn't realise MAAG made a 500 series version of the original design now, that's really cute, if I am feeling good about the sound of this stereo device, I will be suggesting my tracking/mixing engineer friends look into that for vocal channels etc. Apparently one of Whitney Houstons engineers loved that Air band?
inlinenl
Verified Member
5th April 2012
Old 5th April 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
great stuff/work Joe ... fantastic ... I envy your tech_skills ..
enjoy ..
Joe_caithness
Verified Member
5th April 2012
Old 5th April 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlinenl View Post
great stuff/work Joe ... fantastic ... I envy your tech_skills ..
enjoy ..
Important to point out I only "RND'd" this! I'm not building it, I'm not there yet
da goose
Verified Member
5th April 2012
Old 5th April 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
nice!
I also have a DIY nite EQ in my rack and i like the airband quite a lot. Can sometimes really open up the sound.
I must confess that i haven't used mine for quite some time now but now that this topic comes up i might give it a try soon again
Mine has potmeters right now but i'm also still thinking of doing another one with stepped switches but getting the right values can be a bit tricky.

Here you can see a part of my EQ, the 1u with the orange knobs and labeling.
Joe_caithness
Verified Member
5th April 2012
Old 5th April 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Yes Dagoose, thanks, I know Mark took a lot of inspiration from your building diary for this.

Cute VUs on the compressor above, what is it?
da goose
Verified Member
5th April 2012
Old 5th April 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness View Post
Yes Dagoose, thanks, I know Mark took a lot of inspiration from your building diary for this.

Cute VUs on the compressor above, what is it?
wow! I'm an inspirer!

The compressor is a vari mu poorman 670. Nice tubecompressor that with a lot of patience, matched tubes and mods can sound really nice. In the beginning i didn't like it at all and after i build it i didn't use it once but now that i modded it and replaced all tubes with handmatched (did it myself) tubes i like it quite a lot.

Keep us up to date about the progress and thanks for inspiring me to try the niteEQ again.
Joe_caithness
Verified Member
5th April 2012
Old 5th April 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
No problems, won't be long before it's in the rack now, expect to hear my opinions, good or bad a few days after receiving as I'll be locking myself and my ears away!
Ruairi
Verified Member
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcollins View Post
Yes, I'm familiar with it. I have read every post by that PRR guy, what a great resource.
Every single post of his is pure gold. I've spent evenings just searching through his posts.
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcollins View Post
It appears to be a clone of the Night Technologies EQ's. It has the same odd frequency choices, and I believe it's broad-band peaking save for the 2k5, sub, and 'air' bands, the latter of which has selectable frequencies from 2k5 to 40kHz.

The original designer was Cliff Maag, and they still make eq's.

Maag Audio | EQ4 - 500 Series

DC
Thanks for the plug DC! The AIR BAND is still kicking.

Maag Audio has a new preamp (PREQ4) and EQ4 plugin as well as the EQ4. You can actually try the EQ4 for free by setting up a free account with Plugin Alliance! Here's a link about the plugin if you want to take a peak and listen: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/698988-maag-eq4-plugin-out-get-some-air-band.html#post7555168

Best
Cliff Maag

www.maagaudio.com
Joe_caithness
Verified Member
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by maagaudio View Post
Thanks for the plug DC! The AIR BAND is still kicking.

Maag Audio has a new preamp (PREQ4) and EQ4 plugin as well as the EQ4. You can actually try the EQ4 for free by setting up a free account with Plugin Alliance! Here's a link about the plugin if you want to take a peak and listen: Maag EQ4 plugin out. - GET SOME AIR BAND. - Gearslutz.com

Best
Cliff Maag

M

Oh, I am totally going to go find this plug-in now and see if I can get it to work, tonnes of accapellas come thru in my own music projects without any real top end and I still haven't found a way to tickle it out.
Joe_caithness
Verified Member
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Well, if this EQ sounds half as good as this plug-in I'll be over the moon, the air and sub band = wow!
Joe_caithness
Verified Member
17th April 2012
Old 17th April 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Spent the last two weeks demo-ing the plug-in EQ4.

Absolutely love it! Very clever design, I know people dislike the fixed points, but you have to understand this isn't a parametric EQ by design, it's hard to describe but because it's more like a tilting EQ for 5 blocks of audio, plus a great unique shelf on top. The lower freqs are notches but you wouldn't know it because it's so wide and it goes down so low. The sub shelf is a life saver when there is hardly anything down low but you've already used your best shelf to make the mix in general have weight, really good as an extender.

I found using combos of little boosts and cuts across the board allowed me to do some incredibly transparent shifting of focus, you can use the frequency up from where your boosting to calm the width of the Q down by cutting a little when you've done a bigger boost on knob down, things like +1.5dB of 40Hz and -0.5dB at 160Hz for example are coming in useful.

Can't wait to get my hands on my analogue EQ3D based version, really getting used to using this demo plugin!
Joe_caithness
Verified Member
23rd May 2012
Old 23rd May 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member

nearly there
Red Mastering
Verified Member
23rd May 2012
Old 23rd May 2012
Lives for gear

My Studio

Verified Member
nice!
is it M. Watson's job ?
looks very clean and pro
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search