Login / Register

Does anyone here master records with a Manely Massive Passive, using the 27K band?
New Reply
Subscribe
herecomesyourman
18th March 2012
Old 18th March 2012
Lives for gear

Does anyone here master records with a Manely Massive Passive, using the 27K band?

Hi.

I'm currently mastering a lot of projects with this EQ and finding more and more that I really love the 27K band in the high section with a narrow to somewhat narrow Q boosting on a Bell Curve.

(I'm also finding that I really like using an additional EQ to boost either 10-12K or 16K to get some more Air when doing this if I can)

But I wondering for people who use this unit regularly, do you find yourself gravitating towards this band as well? It's above human hearing but it seems to add complex sub harmonics that can even make drum machines feel more real to me.
18th March 2012
Old 18th March 2012
RiF
Lives for gear

The center freq of that band might be above the range of human hearing, but I am pretty sure that the actual EQ-curve goes deep into the sub-20KHz area.
18th March 2012
Old 18th March 2012
Lives for gear

Hey Rif!

I was reading that it's Q extends like that, but I still think that this particular band is a magic spot that maybe gets ignored or often overlooked?

The 16K is great too in moderate doses, but thinks feel a bit more 3D with 27K, much like adding a sub low frequency on the bottom. Only for top end.
acorneau
Verified Member
18th March 2012
Old 18th March 2012
Gear addict

Verified Member
Yes, I use the MP's 27kHz band semi-regularly (as needed of course).

It's nice for opening up the top end either using a very broad Q (0-2) for the full top-end lift or with a tighter Q for adding "air" without the sizzle.

It may sound counterintuitive but try it with the 18kHz low-pass filter on for an additional flavor.
http://allencorneau.com/

"There is no display that can tell you when it sounds bad."
-Greg Reierson
bendermastering
Verified Member
18th March 2012
Old 18th March 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I don't have a MP but I use the same technique at the same 27kHz with the Maselec MEA-2 with great results...
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Gear maniac

Use it when the music calls for it. Does some nice things. Also the Maag audio or NTI eq with their "airband" does some great stuff. I was just able to use the NTI EQ3 on a master the other day. Airband was very nice.

MIke
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Gear addict

Verified Member
Is it just me or is it getting hard to tell when people are talking about the real hardware or plug-in emulations?
herecomesyourman
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

I'm talking about the real thing, I've never used the UAD emulation.

I have however owned an MP for going on a few years now. But honestly I'm just trying to improve with using it over time. (It's not a set and forget kind of piece)
Andy Krehm
Verified Member
20th March 2012
Old 20th March 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendermastering View Post
I don't have a MP but I use the same technique at the same 27kHz with the Maselec MEA-2 with great results...
I've had both the MP and MEA-2 for years and for whatever reason, have almost always used the MEA-2 for 14k to 27k. The MP has been used mostly for 1K5, sometimes 8k and once in awhile, the 2 lower bands for certain kinds of low end boosts.

So this thread inspired me to try 27 on the MP and it's sounding great on the album of the day so thanks to the OP! The bell seems to work best with a wider cue.

Silverbirch Productions

www.silverbirchmastering.com
20th May 2014
Old 20th May 2014
Lives for gear

How does the 27k band on the hardware Massive Passive compare to say the MAAG plugin 40k boost?

20th May 2014
Old 20th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
It's above human hearing but it seems to add complex sub harmonics that can even make drum machines feel more real to me.
It's much simpler than this. Forget the hyper-harmonic unicorn nonsense and have a closer look at how filters are specified. All filters affect the full bandwidth, but by different amounts. For example, a low pass specified to reduce -3dB at 30kHz still affects the audio band's frequency magnitude response at say, 10kHz (it's an asymptote).

Allow me to ask a trick question, how do you set your typical -3dB specified low-pass to smoothly reduce 0.5dB at 20kHz? Think a second about it.

Here's a plot of an EQ with a 6dB shelf boost at 40kHz:

^ this is perfectly audible. And you don't need any voodoo do explain why. Look closely how low the boost extends, it clearly "grabs" down to 5kHz. The same is true with the phase magnitude, which is generally even "broader" than the frequency magnitude.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search