Letter from Scott Hull
New Reply
Subscribe
jazzafaka
12th March 2012
Old 12th March 2012
Gear interested

Letter from Scott Hull

You probably saw it. It's called "Mastering for iTunes".
Last yeas I posted this topic: "Pandora-ready master? Please, help!"

The most clear reply was from jackthebear :

Quote:
"Sorry to hear about your grief.....

There is no "radio ready" mastering for a specific station or band or internet or whatever......

Any ME who charges you the appropriate amount of shekels should furnish a master that will translate well across a broad range of playback systems and devices......the only caveat being if there's some kind of limitation in that system where it will not playback as you'd expect.....
Scott Hull demonstrated the exact same attitude back then. We talked on the phone for good 40 min or so - about nothing. I assume he didn't even know about AAC format Pandora was using. I'm actually pretty sure about it, because I tried to ask Scott about AAC several times.

Now bravo, Scott - no irony implied.

Quote:
"A message from Scott Hull about Mastered for iTunes"

...The sales figures make clear that Apple's AAC format is currently the dominant format in the marketplace. CD sales continue to fall, and though vinyl has had a miraculous resurgence, it's a small fraction of the pie. Basically, music producers, labels, and artists are adjusting to the new reality on the ground, and have found that it's time to recognize that the market's dominant format -- AAC -- has unique mastering needs, just as CD, and tape, and vinyl did before.
Though there's some confusion in the press, Mastered for iTunes isn't just a promotional opportunity. The surge is being driven by Apple, but the concept would apply to any digital format, just as it did for analogue, optical, and ..."
That's how I learned some mastering techniques myself. And met a wonderful person and super-human-engineer Eric James Phibarnmastering.co.uk

"
13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzafaka View Post
You probably saw it. It's called "Mastering for iTunes".
Last yeas I posted this topic: "Pandora-ready master? Please, help!"
Scott Hull is correct when he says that lossy sound "has unique mastering needs, just as CD, and tape, and viny". Obviously, he is not correct when he says that AAC is the dominant format. MP3 is the dominant format.

Also I think "jackthebear" forgets that today you can render a song in seconds and with the help of automation you can have a "lossy ready" mastering version in just a second.

Sorry, but I don't understand why mastering engineers are so reluctant to do a "lossy ready" version of a mastering work.

Verified Member
13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLossy View Post
Sorry, but I don't understand why mastering engineers are so reluctant to do a "lossy ready" version of a mastering work.
I can't remember any client ever requesting a "special" "lossy ready" version.
... a common sense clean conversion usually does the trick.

www.waltzmastering.com

IIIrd
Verified Member
13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz Mastering View Post
Me neither
13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLossy View Post
Obviously, he is not correct when he says that AAC is the dominant format. MP3 is the dominant format.
Until you consider Pandora, Sirius & the like. I believe they all use 64kbps AAC.
Franco
Verified Member
13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
One thing to consider is that Android phone and tablet sales continue to climb, and Google's "Play" platform is in its infancy. Their store sells 320kbps MP3s for download.

No DRM and you can download each album purchase twice, as well as cloud storage (which many reviews are saying it's a much better interface/service than Apple's attempt at cloud-based music).

My money is on Google Play (store) to be as popular as iTunes in a couple of years based on how many Android devices keep being released, and with regards to mastering - if it's a good 24bit master, it's going to be a good MP3 and/or AAC master as well.
13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
OK. That's a good answer.

Quote:
"common sense clean conversion" means to attenuate the master fader 1 dB?

Sorry, I'm curious about this.
Thanks.

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search