New Reply
Subscribe
4damind
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Vertigo Plug-in for Mastering?

I know some well known guys (here in Germany eg. Andreas Balaska) is using the Vertigo compressor as the main compressor for mastering. Since some time there is a emulation available from Brainworx.

Is there some experience with the plug-in or that some guys using the emulation instead of the hardware for mastering?

Frank Arnold
Musician and IT Freelancer

| | |
| |
bendermastering
Verified Member
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4damind View Post
I know some well known guys (here in Germany eg. Andreas Balaska) is using the Vertigo compressor as the main compressor for mastering. Since some time there is a emulation available from Brainworx.

Is there some experience with the plug-in or that some guys using the emulation instead of the hardware for mastering?
I tried the demo because I was interested in the hardware but I didn't like it. It has a weird behavior on the tracks I tried, it felt like it was a very anxious and uneasy compressor on almost all settings and GR.

// Bender Mastering Studio - My studio website.
// BLENDER - My personal blog. Some gear reviews there.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

I tried the demo also which did not make me feel like I needed it so I passed though I did grab the maag eq plug, that I am really digging but I have slate fgx and it holds me down well for my limited mastering needs.
Riccardo
Verified Member
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Slightly off topic as I haven't had the chance to use the software version but to get to know how to use well the hardware takes quite a bit of time despite the semplicity of the controls.
This even more obvious in a mastering environment than during tracking or mixing where its strenghts are much more "obvious"
YMMV

"Can you imagine how great the Beatles or Pink Floyd could have sounded if they had used better cables?

I expect a Nobel prize to someday be awarded to an audiophile cable designer, as they clearly are way ahead of the rest of us.
" - DC -
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear addict

beeing owner of the hardware-vertigo serialnr.3 i have to say that in the beginning the box did frighten me a bit with it`s behaviour and i wasnt happy at all , but after some time i was diggin it and now i realy loOOooOOove it.
it`s the one box i would take with me on an lonely island.
although i never tried the emulation i could emagine it needs some time to figure it out ....
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

The behavior of this compressor seems to be a bit special?

I saw a mastering guy using it with long attack, long release and very small gain reduction (1dB). Only judging from the video I would say, it's not a compressor for big gain reduction, it's more for glue things together and give it a bit color.

It has a sidechain EQ (Afaik 90hz and 60Hz) but is the problem with this compressor eventually that he tends to pump very quickly?
Riccardo
Verified Member
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Being this the mastering forum 0.5 to 1 or 1.5 dB of gain reduction is what you'd expect us discussing. If we were talking tracking and mixing then it would be a different scenario.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear addict

I have used the Vertigo VSC-2 plugin by Brainworx in my mastering chain a few times. I wouldn't say it would be my all around go to compressor as for that ITB I would usually turn to either the Elysia Alpha or Magix's Ammunition.

The reason I say that is because the Vertigo does inject a bit of color into the program material you are compressing and it seems to soften the highs somewhat. What I do like about the Vertigo is how it glues tracks together and give it a thick solid sound. I would see the VSC-2 useful for mastering rock/alt....at least that is my opinion.
http://elitemastering.com & http://www.joaocarvalhomastering.com
Toronto, Canada

4damind
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarra View Post
I have used the Vertigo VSC-2 plugin by Brainworx in my mastering chain a few times. I wouldn't say it would be my all around go to compressor as for that ITB I would usually turn to either the Elysia Alpha or Magix's Ammunition.

The reason I say that is because the Vertigo does inject a bit of color into the program material you are compressing and it seems to soften the highs somewhat. What I do like about the Vertigo is how it glues tracks together and give it a thick solid sound. I would see the VSC-2 useful for mastering rock/alt....at least that is my opinion.
Yes the Elysia has M/S and a very transparent sound (IMO there is no color) compared to the Vertigo.
Do you would prefer the Elysia Master Compressor over the Vertigo for all kind of electronic/dance/pop?
sonicdefault
Verified Member
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
The Vertigo plug certainly has a sound. It doesn't work for everything regarding full program material. But for some mixes, it's very nice.

Under certain circumstances, I would consider it during mastering. But probably only if the material didn't need another pass through outboard, or if there were no other options.

-SD

...My 57 is only a few years old, but I'd like to think that someday my children can pass it down to their children.
Killahurts

...I would much rather tweak a moog than that thing bro...
MYAMS
Adam Dempsey
Verified Member
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendermastering View Post
I tried the demo because I was interested in the hardware but I didn't like it. It has a weird behavior on the tracks I tried, it felt like it was a very anxious and uneasy compressor on almost all settings and GR.
If interested in the hardware, try the hardware. I can't speak for the plug in but we couldn't (wouldn't) return the hardware VSC-2 we had on loan - it certainly covers the VCA options with flexibility. A great "tightener" even with the smallest amounts of gain reduction.
Is adding presence the same as subtracting absence?
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Gear maniac

Send a message via MSN to tomasrangel Send a message via Skype™ to tomasrangel
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOBOMBER View Post
beeing owner of the hardware-vertigo serialnr.3 i have to say that in the beginning the box did frighten me a bit with it`s behaviour and i wasnt happy at all , but after some time i was diggin it and now i realy loOOooOOove it.
it`s the one box i would take with me on an lonely island.
although i never tried the emulation i could emagine it needs some time to figure it out ....
+1
Almost 2 years with the hardware unit and loving it more everyday.
Useful on dance music cause its nice punch. Great components inside that make this unit incomparable with a plugin in my opinion.
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Lives for gear

I demoed the software and found it very usefull for adding punch on some mixes, basically 30ms attack and short release (in my specific case).

Ciro
lowland
Verified Member
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I tried the plug-in, and although I thought it would probably be fine for tracking and mixing duties (at which it's probably aimed), I wouldn't use it for mastering: it's not that surprising, but for me it didn't have whatever it is that makes the hardware box special.

I'm not a huge fan of digital compressors, but if I had to use plug-in compression in mastering PSP's Mastercomp would be more suitable.
bendermastering
Verified Member
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dempsey View Post
If interested in the hardware, try the hardware. I can't speak for the plug in but we couldn't (wouldn't) return the hardware VSC-2 we had on loan - it certainly covers the VCA options with flexibility. A great "tightener" even with the smallest amounts of gain reduction.
Here it is impossible to try out or loan high-end or boutique gear so trying plug-ins is the only way to preview gear. Most of the times we have to commit and buy gear without trying, so it's better than nothing.

Plug-ins made me want the elysia stuff and a Neumann passive EQ (thanks to Softube emulation), and took me off from other stuff like the Vertigo. Sorry for the off topic.
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Lives for gear

I've been liking it on the drum buss best. For rock/alt and metal it does something the other comps don't. Even at light settings it adds a wonderful punch to drums! Kind of become my go to for that, but I dunno about the 2 buss...Might have to give it a try. I keep the glue on my 2buss as it's very versatile using it in parallel and the hpf gets used half the time for lows(kick or bass) on heavy fast music on 2buss.

It has a dirty rock color that I could see working depending on the material and personal taste.
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendermastering View Post
Here it is impossible to try out or loan high-end or boutique gear so trying plug-ins is the only way to preview gear. Most of the times we have to commit and buy gear without trying, so it's better than nothing.

Plug-ins made me want the elysia stuff and a Neumann passive EQ (thanks to Softube emulation), and took me off from other stuff like the Vertigo. Sorry for the off topic.
That's a fair enough point.
I too feel the same when it comes to some well done emulations..

I may be buying some TG console gear after trying the Abbey plugs.

KAyo
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Top Gear addict

I tried the demo, didn't like it at all.
4damind
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

If I understand this correctly, it's eventually more the color of the Vertigo people don't like? So more usable for mixing and tracking.
I know that for mastering the Elysia Master Compressor gets more good words but I saw the hardware of the Vertigo also used by mastering guys, so my question about this.
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4damind View Post
Yes the Elysia has M/S and a very transparent sound (IMO there is no color) compared to the Vertigo.
Do you would prefer the Elysia Master Compressor over the Vertigo for all kind of electronic/dance/pop?
I master quite a bit of EDM and I would suggest a clean/transparent compressor like the Elysia...but there are many others as well. The thing I like about the Elysia is the ability to do M/S & parallel comp with ease....only when needed.
Chris Bauer
Verified Member
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Gear addict

Verified Member
In terms of quality, I would liken the Vertigo plug in to the Cytomic The Glue compressor. It's maybe a little more delicate sounding, but equally useful for bus compression. This is fairly high praise, as The Glue is very popular among users.

I cannot comment on how it compares to the hardware version, having not heard the hardware. However, I would venture a guess that the hardware is likely to produce superior results. In the past software emulations of hardware compressors have tended to be the weakest link in plug in development. If anyone owns both the hardware and the plug in, I would be very curious to know how they compare.
www.facebook.com/audiomasteringservice
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bauer View Post
In terms of quality, I would liken the Vertigo plug in to the Cytomic The Glue compressor. It's maybe a little more delicate sounding, but equally useful for bus compression. This is fairly high praise, as The Glue is very popular among users.

I cannot comment on how it compares to the hardware version, having not heard the hardware. However, I would venture a guess that the hardware is likely to produce superior results. In the past software emulations of hardware compressors have tended to be the weakest link in plug in development. If anyone owns both the hardware and the plug in, I would be very curious to know how they compare.
I see the hardware today as a vintage warmer based in transformer... it have a very analog vintage sound... the hardware have more strong sub frequency info and no hashness compared to the plugin.. thats my first impression.
4damind
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

The Glue is a bit special. Afaik it has not a own sound, there are no emulated transformers or stuff from the SSL hardware. It's more the compression behavior Cytomic emulated. Because it's very clean it can be used everywhere and gets always high recommendations from all kind of EDM people where a more transparent sound is often wished.

Vertigo is not clean. Completely different than Elysia or The Glue. For the plug-in it seems there is not much love as a mastering compressor so I expect a big difference from the hardware to the plug-in. Unfortunately there are not much guys used the hardware?
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

lowland
Verified Member
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
sonicdefault
Verified Member
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
My primary concern using this plug for mastering would indeed be the added color. As far as action of the dynamics though, the VSC is at the top among plug-in comps IMO.

-SD
10th March 2012
Old 10th March 2012
Gear maniac

Yes.. i am not a big fan of compressor plugins like lowland. Anyway the plugin sounds good and useful in another way. I find it useful on 2 buss when mixing like other users.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search