Newer Plextor Drive Question
New Reply
Subscribe
RJ.MacReady
16th February 2012
Old 16th February 2012
Gear maniac

Newer Plextor Drive Question

I know the newer Plextor drives are not close to what they used to be but I picked up PX-L890 to do some burning. I am not sure how to interpret the sampling results in the Plex Utilities. My C1 errors come up in a good range, and none on the C2, but I have one sampling error. Is that considered acceptable? Thanks!
Thomas W. Bethe
Verified Member
18th February 2012
Old 18th February 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
RJ.MacReady
18th February 2012
Old 18th February 2012
Gear maniac

Thanks, Thomas. So I'm gathering that the sampling block is referring to the scanning process itself, not errors on the disc?
jamesp
Verified Member
20th February 2012
Old 20th February 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
What happens if you repeat the test? I'd prefer to see no errors apart from a few C1's but I'm a Plextools user rather than Plexutilities user so I'm not sure what that error means either.

As I said in the thread that Thomas linked to, you may be better off using something like Opti Drive Control for serious measurements.

James.
20th February 2012
Old 20th February 2012
Gear maniac

Thanks for the reply, James. I got Opti Drive Control and it is obviously a superior program. It's actually showing some C2 errors when PlexUtilities was showing none.
Andy Krehm
Verified Member
20th February 2012
Old 20th February 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Is Opti Drive Control considered to be a good, or better, substitute for Plextools?

It seems, at least from the website, that it works with more drives than Plextools. So, rather than trying to keep one's supply of NOS Plextors in stock, perhaps this is a better alternative? Also, the price is very reasonable.

Silverbirch Productions

www.silverbirchmastering.com
20th February 2012
Old 20th February 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ.MacReady View Post
Thanks for the reply, James. I got Opti Drive Control and it is obviously a superior program. It's actually showing some C2 errors when PlexUtilities was showing none.
I've gotten different results in comparing the same disc when analyzing with PlexUtilities (on an older Plextor IDE, cd-only drive) and with KProbe on one of the older (and gooder) Lite-on drives, and developed my own scale to determine relative quality. However, I never got C2 errors with Taiyo media, only with cheaper media.
homepage -|- soundcloud -|- bandcamp
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
jamesp
Verified Member
21st February 2012
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Krehm View Post
Is Opti Drive Control considered to be a good, or better, substitute for Plextools?

It seems, at least from the website, that it works with more drives than Plextools. So, rather than trying to keep one's supply of NOS Plextors in stock, perhaps this is a better alternative? Also, the price is very reasonable.
It has the advantage over Plextools of being actively developed and supported by someone who has been writing optical drive software for a long time. However, Plextools does much more than just error checking so it won't necessarily be a substitute if you make full use of Plextools.

There is also the issue of the drive chipsets. The old Plextors used Sanyo chipsets while the newer drives with error checking mainly seem to use Mediatek chips. I'm not sure which is considered better but that would account for differences in error counts between the old Plextor drives and the newer ones.

James.
Andy Krehm
Verified Member
21st February 2012
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
It has the advantage over Plextools of being actively developed and supported by someone who has been writing optical drive software for a long time. However, Plextools does much more than just error checking so it won't necessarily be a substitute if you make full use of Plextools.

There is also the issue of the drive chipsets. The old Plextors used Sanyo chipsets while the newer drives with error checking mainly seem to use Mediatek chips. I'm not sure which is considered better but that would account for differences in error counts between the old Plextor drives and the newer ones.

James.
Thanks for the info.

To be honest, I have never used anything but the C1, C2 and Cu testing page. And that must be all I need as I have never had a disc rejected for these reasons since I've been checking and that's got to be about 4 years now.

I use another program to check for the presence of CD-TEXT, ISRCs and UPCs, if provided.

Is there any other tests that you think we should be doing and why?
jamesp
Verified Member
23rd February 2012
Old 23rd February 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Krehm View Post
I use another program to check for the presence of CD-TEXT, ISRCs and UPCs, if provided.

Is there any other tests that you think we should be doing and why?
If you go to the All-In-One test section you can automatically run a set of tests and then have Plextools produce a report that shows what is on the disc and plots of the test results. I find it handy to keep these reports in case of any problems later. I will also supply the report to the client if they want it. You just need a couple of mouse clicks at the start and to choose a file location at the end in order to do this. You can even add your own logo to the report if you want.

I also use Plextools for burning discs from a .cue file so I can use Plextools' verify function to check that the data on the disc matches the source.

James.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search