Hypex amp question
New Reply
Subscribe
ORC
3rd December 2011
Old 3rd December 2011
Gear addict

Hypex amp question

Any of my fellow ME's ever built amps using the Hypex modules? The modules and PSU's seem easy enough to find, but I haven't seen much info about actually bulding an amp. I'm quite handy, and have built lots of tube gear over the years, should be able to buld one of these. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
3rd December 2011
Old 3rd December 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Super easy. The UcD cards have spade connectors and a mount for the heat sink. I built mine with a liner supply but Hypex also offers switching supplies to go with their modules.

I'm sure there are plenty of DIY sites with examples. It's a very satisfy projects because it's simple and the results are great.

Let us know what you do.

GR

"If the album isn't competing for singles airplay in focus groups, forget about loudness!" - Bob Olhsson
da goose
Verified Member
3rd December 2011
Old 3rd December 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
It's really dead easy to build. You can even drop it in a shoebox if you want. Just connect everything (paint by color), plug it in (in = in out = out powerplug = walloutlet) and you are ready to go. It is really that simple and since you said you build some tube stuff before, this is even more simpe for you.

Da Goose Music Mastering | Jeffrey de Gans
www.dagoosemusic.nl
Dedicated Analog mastering running on Solarpower
jdg
Verified Member
3rd December 2011
Old 3rd December 2011
jdg
Lives for gear

Verified Member
even _i_ was able to build a pair.... even tho i did swap the polarity on one module and it made some awesome smoke

panicStudios - mastering in seattle
3rd December 2011
Old 3rd December 2011
Sonic Hooligan

I built a Hypex amp. I used 2 X UcD400HG modules, and 2 X SMPS400 power supplies (although it can be done with 1).
Sounds superb and building was silly easy.. Only some very basic soldering was needed to link all the prebuilt modules together, and the XLR sockets of course. I think I had it all done from start to finish in an afternoon. It's been running for about a year & a half now with zero problems.
arf
3rd December 2011
Old 3rd December 2011
arf
Gear addict

I heard a prototype built on the Hypex's new nCore board and it is quite a step forward in power amplification, IMO. Looking inside, it was only two boards, the nCore and the PWS, connected by a few multi-pin connectors and some hard-wiring from the fused AC power inlet to the power supply board.
3rd December 2011
Old 3rd December 2011
mymixisbetterthanyours!

from what I read all but the higher efficency amplification 'trickled down' from ncore into the UcD series.

I'm in the process of deciding between a dual UcD400 or 700 for my 802D.
What would you guys recommend? Hypex said 400s are sufficient.

Also, I have the 802D powered by Lab-Gruppen Class D amplification right now that's lended to me after my amp failed.
Is the (absence) of sound comparable to the Hypex?
5th December 2011
Old 5th December 2011
Lives for gear

I've built a bunch (a 180 stereo , a 400 stereo and a 700 dual mono). It's worth picking up the diycable.com heat sink set for whatever you end up building.

I think they sound unbelievable. I can't wait to hear the ncore modules.

StrangeWeatherBrooklyn.com
12th December 2011
Old 12th December 2011
Gear maniac

What boxcases do you use for mount these ampĀ“s ? and where to buy?
13th December 2011
Old 13th December 2011
Gear nut

I hope it's as easy as they say here in this thread. I ordered 2 Ucd400s with 1 1200A400 switching power supply and a Soft Start board last Thursday and received them today from Hypex. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for the folks there at Hypex. There may be a couple of connections that I'm unsure of so maybe their support can guide me in the right direction.

As for the box I decided to make this a stereo unit, that's the reason for just 1 power supply. The 1200A400 power supply should be more than enough to power 2 UcD400s. The equipment cabinet was ordered on the same day as the Hypex parts but did not arrive today so hopefully it will get here soon from Italy. This is what should be on it's way modu. It's W330xD280xH80mm size is a little small compared to the typical rack mount gear but I just wanted something that can be placed on top of a shelf and not take up a lot of space.

It would be great if someone here, that has built one of these amplifiers, could post some pics that show wiring details and parts layout.

Thanks,
13th December 2011
Old 13th December 2011
Gear maniac

Great stuff rondr.

I'm thinking of ordering the exact same spec as you (400W in a stereo unit). Would love you to post photos of your build or any snags that you hit - if you have the time.

The soft start is a must for speaker protection yes?

The customise option looks great from modu. Did you get a customised front panel?

Did you go for the HG upgrades?

Are these worth it?!

Sorry for the nagging questions,
John.
13th December 2011
Old 13th December 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopstickkk View Post
Great stuff rondr.

I'm thinking of ordering the exact same spec as you (400W in a stereo unit). Would love you to post photos of your build or any snags that you hit - if you have the time.I

The soft start is a must for speaker protection yes?

The customise option looks great from modu. Did you get a customised front panel?

Did you go for the HG upgrades?

Are these worth it?!

Sorry for the nagging questions,
John.
Hi John,
No problem on the questions. I'll make sure to take plenty of pics from unpacking to finish and anything in between. I sent in a list of questions to Hypex and the response was a color coded hookup diagram but I haven't had the chance to look to see how much detail is there. I'll keep you informed. I did order the 10mm thick faceplate but nothing custom. I also went with the HG and HxR regulators.
13th December 2011
Old 13th December 2011
Gear Head

Please keep us all informed on how things go, this is actually interesting.
13th December 2011
Old 13th December 2011
Geariophile

13th December 2011
Old 13th December 2011
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

When I build them I bolt the heatsink down to the chassis or a block of aluminum bolted to the chassis with the white heat sink grease added between. That pulls all the heat off, fast.

They come with docs and headers to plug in, the switcher supply is great for mobile or SR/Bass guitar rigs. For mastering, use a linear supply with lots of uf's or even regulation if you can waste the energy.

Use the 700 watt modules, not the 400. These aren't like high current tube amps where a hundred watts can blow your ears off. You want the headroom.

One other hint that really opens up the sonics, something you will hear and appreciate for mastering; these use NE5532 opamps as a front end. They are SOIC. If you swap them to National LME49720MA, they will clear up in the mids and the tops will sound more open.
13th December 2011
Old 13th December 2011
Sonic Hooligan

Hey rondr. I used a modushop case too, although not exactly the same one. They are good quality. I probably would have used the same power supply too, but that particular one didn't exist when I built mine. Still, the dual SMPS400's do a fine job
Mine is in a 2U case, with (i think) a 5mm ally rear panel, which made for a decent heatsink to bolt the amp modules to.

Do you need the softstart module with that config though? I didn't think it was necessary with the SMPS power supplies, but I could be wrong.. I've gotten by just fine without it anyway..
13th December 2011
Old 13th December 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llitsor View Post
Hey rondr. I used a modushop case too, although not exactly the same one. They are good quality. I probably would have used the same power supply too, but that particular one didn't exist when I built mine. Still, the dual SMPS400's do a fine job
Mine is in a 2U case, with (i think) a 5mm ally rear panel, which made for a decent heatsink to bolt the amp modules to.

Do you need the softstart module with that config though? I didn't think it was necessary with the SMPS power supplies, but I could be wrong.. I've gotten by just fine without it anyway..
Looks like it will work fine without the soft stare but I wanted to use that on off switch so that may be the reason for the soft start. How long did it take to get your cabinet from Italy?
13th December 2011
Old 13th December 2011
Sonic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondr View Post
How long did it take to get your cabinet from Italy?
I don't recall exactly, as it was some months ago now. But I think it was around a week, perhaps 2 (to the UK, I don't know where you are).
I used one of those round, metal vandal proof push button switches to power it on & off. I doubt it will get vandalised of course! But it is robust and looks smart..
14th December 2011
Old 14th December 2011
Gear addict

I have a LCR 400 in a modu case made almost 3 years ago now. Powers a set of PMC AB1's and love it. Clearest amp I've heard. I didn't do the build though.

Ashley

www.audiogrotto.com - two controls rooms, 38x42x27 big room in converted church

Nuendo Power for v5.5
Pro Tools for Film, Video and Multimedia
Plug-In Power

FaceBook: Audiogrotto
Twitter: @audiogrotto
WBM
14th December 2011
Old 14th December 2011
WBM
Lives for gear

I build few 180 HG and 400HG not that hard real easy just discharged the capacitors before you want to power up, good luck, it worth every penny.
16th December 2011
Old 16th December 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
...and what about N-core d-amp?
do any of you have experience with this new lot ?
I am saving monies for hypex too,
it's just matter of decision what kit combination get

thanks for info

Riccardo
Verified Member
17th December 2011
Old 17th December 2011
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Mastering View Post
...and what about N-core d-amp?
do any of you have experience with this new lot ?
I am saving monies for hypex too,
it's just matter of decision what kit combination get

thanks for info
It has just been made available to the DIY world. I guess the first modules sold out in a few hours, according to the Hypex website.
Let's wait and see. Anybody knows if there is a 700 version coming out as well?

"Can you imagine how great the Beatles or Pink Floyd could have sounded if they had used better cables?

I expect a Nobel prize to someday be awarded to an audiophile cable designer, as they clearly are way ahead of the rest of us.
" - DC -
17th December 2011
Old 17th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Hello chaps,

I'm just about to copy this here man's Hypex build:

Hypex amplifier project successfully completed | AVForums.com - UK Online

Thought it might be of interest, as there are pics of wiring and such......

My UcD's have just arrived, but haven't got a box/little bits/contacts yet. Really looking forward to this puppy!!!!
Thanks for directing me to this thread Karloff!

I'm curious as to how people think the Hypex modules stack up against pieces like the Bryston B-100, or Classe ca-2100. Those two seem to be the most recommended pieces, but I'm very interested in Hypex. Concerns being fidelity first, and even frequency balance 20-20k. Specs on all units are like .000000000001/2% THD, so not too much concern there.

Mixing tutorials: Mixing Hip-Hop and Mixing with Compression

Drum samples: The Maio Collection

Mixing articles: The Pro Audio Files

18th December 2011
Old 18th December 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
Thanks for directing me to this thread Karloff!

I'm curious as to how people think the Hypex modules stack up against pieces like the Bryston B-100, or Classe ca-2100. Those two seem to be the most recommended pieces, but I'm very interested in Hypex. Concerns being fidelity first, and even frequency balance 20-20k. Specs on all units are like .000000000001/2% THD, so not too much concern there.
Still waiting on the box I ordered from Modu to arrive. During the meantime I decided to rush right down to the local electronic supply house and pick up a cheap box so I could put this thing together just to hear for myself what all this Hypex talk is all about.

After I put it all together and pushed the on off button I hear this click sound. Must be a good thing because no other sound is heard and then those red and blue LEDs on the regulators began to glow so something must be good. I put my ear up close to the tweeter and nothing, woofer nothing, no hums buzzes just nothing. I set the router to play a CD and popped in the latest release from Christian McBride and mastered by Mark Wilder and slowly turned up the level controller on the Avocet. Pure clean sound is what I heard. After a few minutes I was curious about how hot the amplifier modules would get and to touch they started getting rather warm. After playing for about a 1/2 hour I checked the temperature on the heat sinks and at that point they were to hot to touch, right at 140 deg. f so I shut it down. Just putting it in the box is not enough, heat sinks are a must so after adding that it runs cool so far.

It's been up and running about 1 1/2 hours since I put the heat sinks on and still just warm to the touch after playing various source material at normal to moderate listening levels. So far it sounds good, clean and transparent.

I've been using a Bryston 4B SST for several years now and this is the first time the power to it has ever been cut off other than power outages. Before that it was a Bryston 4B ST that was on for 12 years. This Hypex amp may just replace that SST version. Now if those fine folks there at Modu could rush the box to me that would be great.
Red Mastering
Verified Member
18th December 2011
Old 18th December 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Still waiting on the box I ordered from Modu to arrive. During the meantime I decided to rush right down to the local electronic supply house and pick up a cheap box so I could put this thing together just to hear for myself what all this Hypex talk is all about.

After I put it all together and pushed the on off button I hear this click sound. Must be a good thing because no other sound is heard and then those red and blue LEDs on the regulators began to glow so something must be good. I put my ear up close to the tweeter and nothing, woofer nothing, no hums buzzes just nothing. I set the router to play a CD and popped in the latest release from Christian McBride and mastered by Mark Wilder and slowly turned up the level controller on the Avocet. Pure clean sound is what I heard. After a few minutes I was curious about how hot the amplifier modules would get and to touch they started getting rather warm. After playing for about a 1/2 hour I checked the temperature on the heat sinks and at that point they were to hot to touch, right at 140 deg. f so I shut it down. Just putting it in the box is not enough, heat sinks are a must so after adding that it runs cool so far.

It's been up and running about 1 1/2 hours since I put the heat sinks on and still just warm to the touch after playing various source material at normal to moderate listening levels. So far it sounds good, clean and transparent.

I've been using a Bryston 4B SST for several years now and this is the first time the power to it has ever been cut off other than power outages. Before that it was a Bryston 4B ST that was on for 12 years. This Hypex amp may just replace that SST version. Now if those fine folks there at Modu could rush the box to me that would be great.
could you drop some photos ?
what about wiring is it simply task ?
what do I need to buy except ucd modules, power supply and cables/sockets ?
thanks for answer
26th December 2011
Old 26th December 2011
Gear nut

It took a couple of days to do but it turned out looking and sounding pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails
Hypex amp question-img_2204.jpg   Hypex amp question-img_2202.jpg   Hypex amp question-img_2198.jpg   Hypex amp question-img_2191.jpg  
26th December 2011
Old 26th December 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
It took a couple of days to do but it turned out looking and sounding pretty good.
Look very nice!may I ask where did you buy this case?
26th December 2011
Old 26th December 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflater View Post
Look very nice!may I ask where did you buy this case?
Modu has several options and sizes to choose from. Check out this link. modu
27th December 2011
Old 27th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks for the write up Rondr! Very compelling review - gives me a lot to consider. I'll have to ask again in a few weeks after the honeymoon phase passes (you know how new gear can be, especially if it you had a hand in it's design/build).

Always nice to see a thread in this forum that's not about loudness.
27th December 2011
Old 27th December 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Modu has several options and sizes to choose from. Check out this link. modu
Thank you for the link,you're a saver.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search