Hypex amp question
New Reply
Subscribe
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondr View Post
It took a couple of days to do but it turned out looking and sounding pretty good.
Very nice!

How would you describe the sound compared to the Bryston?

Cheers
26th September 2012
Old 26th September 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondr View Post
It took a couple of days to do but it turned out looking and sounding pretty good.
Hi there

Can you possibly tell me what function-type push-button switch that is and how it is connected to the amplifier system modules?

Much appreciated.
26th September 2012
Old 26th September 2012
Sonic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewald_V View Post
Hi there

Can you possibly tell me what function-type push-button switch that is and how it is connected to the amplifier system modules?

Much appreciated.
I suspect it is the one you can see on the Hypex webstore. Intended to be used with their soft start kits. But that particular one is a low current/voltage type. So if you are using a soft start kit (not needed with SMPS power supplies), or some kind of relay system to switch the power on and off, then you can use one of those.
Otherwise you'd need one that can handle mains voltages/more current.
I used this one (or one very similar to it) Buy Push Button Switches 19mm latching IP64 switch, nonillumin. Schurter 1241.6821.1120000 online from RS for next day delivery.
The slight issue with those, is that illuminated ones are hard/impossible to find. But they are a lot simpler to wire up (much the same as any other power switch) and a power indicator LED is easy enough to add elsewhere.
26th September 2012
Old 26th September 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llitsor View Post
I suspect it is the one you can see on the Hypex webstore. Intended to be used with their soft start kits. But that particular one is a low current/voltage type. So if you are using a soft start kit (not needed with SMPS power supplies), or some kind of relay system to switch the power on and off, then you can use one of those.
Otherwise you'd need one that can handle mains voltages/more current.
I used this one (or one very similar to it) Buy Push Button Switches 19mm latching IP64 switch, nonillumin. Schurter 1241.6821.1120000 online from RS for next day delivery.
The slight issue with those, is that illuminated ones are hard/impossible to find. But they are a lot simpler to wire up (much the same as any other power switch) and a power indicator LED is easy enough to add elsewhere.
Thank you - so its a basic latching type? Engaging the mains relay system?

I will be building a Hypex UcD400 stereo power amp, with SMPS and Soft-Start for a friend. Just the switch that got us wondering...

Those illuminated vandal-proof switches are available here through RS Components - just hellishly expensive.
27th September 2012
Old 27th September 2012
Sonic Hooligan

Im using a simple but high voltage/current latching type, as posted above.
One like that will do fine. And no soft start module is required when using the SMPS type power supplies. But if you do decide to go with the soft start anyway, then you can use the lower voltage/current type switches. Of which I don't think they even have to be of the latching variety (the data sheet for the soft start module appears to indicate as much)
1st November 2012
Old 1st November 2012
Gear nut

I've just purchased some TB2S+ that are on the way and looking to power with Hypex amps. I was thinking of using UcD180HG modules and an SMPS180 power supply. Since the TB2S+ are 8ohm, would this be sufficient in powering them? I suspect power would be something like 90-100W per channel. My studio is rather small and currently Yamaha HS80's with 75W amps are more than enough SPL.

Any advice on this?
1st November 2012
Old 1st November 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
It sounds like a good combination to me.
1st November 2012
Old 1st November 2012
Gear nut

Great, thanks for your input Greg.
Red Mastering
Verified Member
1st November 2012
Old 1st November 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon View Post
I've just purchased some TB2S+ that are on the way and looking to power with Hypex amps. I was thinking of using UcD180HG modules and an SMPS180 power supply. Since the TB2S+ are 8ohm, would this be sufficient in powering them? I suspect power would be something like 90-100W per channel. My studio is rather small and currently Yamaha HS80's with 75W amps are more than enough SPL.

Any advice on this?
I was in similar position owning tb2,
I got hypex ucd400 and smps400,
there was an thread about it on SOS forum and I was convinced to get bigger amp and power supply to have a bigger headroom,
it's just maybe 200 EUR more for bigger setup,
and amp headroom is something you won't be disappointed
now I own PMC IB1s and hypex 400ucd deliver enough power
although I feel when I make it really really loud it's possible I should add another power supply to beef it up

1st November 2012
Old 1st November 2012
Lives for gear

+1 if you can go up to the UCD400 modules then do - gives you scope for more upgradeability in the future.

The extra headroom will most certainly do no harm, especially when you consider how little you are paying for it...
1st November 2012
Old 1st November 2012
Lives for gear

I have TB2i speakers here now and I am just about to build the amps based on the hypex ncore 400 module. I looked at the ucd180s but wanted to try the ncore and to also have the extra headroom and the capacity to upgrade speakers with the same amp. I'll post some photos of the amp build and my thoughts after some listening. This should be a good match, I am just waiting for the chassis to arrive next week.

In my experience I would suggest maybe going for the UCD400 and only needing to build these once, knowing that you have headroom with the TB2s and also ability to move to bigger speakers without changing amps. The UCD 400s and power supply's are very well priced and relative to the UCD180, the price of the chassis, cabling and connectors will be the same either way.
1st November 2012
Old 1st November 2012
Gear nut

Well I managed to save a bucket load ordering some TB2s+ from the UK so I may just do that and go the UcD400's although Hypex tells me the UcD180's are rated at 120W @ 8ohm which is more than enough for my room at this point.

I don't have see myself upgrading any time soon but I'll see how much I have left over after paying customs duty when receiving the speakers! :s
1st November 2012
Old 1st November 2012
Gear Head

Handmade Hypex UcD700 here. Totally underrated amps. Don't be scared to build your own - preassembled pcbs, good instructions and a very very well support make it pretty easy. I compared mine with Bryston and Mcintosh amps here and did not feel the need to change my setup... :o

,.- Aaron -.,
1st November 2012
Old 1st November 2012
Gear addict

do you think guys, the comb ucd400 and smps400 (can i feed a pair fo amps with just one of those??) are ok for a pair of IB2??? i am looking for a new amp and Hypex sounds good to me!!!

Nexo 101, Mastering House
Madrid (Spain)
Red Mastering
Verified Member
1st November 2012
Old 1st November 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiss View Post
do you think guys, the comb ucd400 and smps400 (can i feed a pair fo amps with just one of those??) are ok for a pair of IB2??? i am looking for a new amp and Hypex sounds good to me!!!
hey Weiss,
I own pmc ib1s powered by hypex ucd400,
with 1 only power supply smps 400,
I can run them pretty loud, without even a drop of sweat on hypex
although I probably add another power supply,
because I like when amp has extra headroom,
or possibly upgrade to ncore,

anyway if you are not listening music at 100dB SPL,
1 power amp should be enough,
but price for 1 extra power supply is not killer,
so personally if I were you, I'd go with double amp

best idea would be to discuss it with Bruno Putzey at diy forum,
or just make a phone call to hypex,
those chaps are super nice and helpful
customer service is top notch

good luck!
1st November 2012
Old 1st November 2012
Gear addict

i am thinking in build it with two power supplies
1st November 2012
Old 1st November 2012
Gear addict

thanks Red Mastering!
Red Mastering
Verified Member
1st November 2012
Old 1st November 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
welcome!
Greg Reierson
Verified Member
2nd November 2012
Old 2nd November 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsmastering View Post
Handmade Hypex UcD700 here. Totally underrated amps.
I'd say they are highly rated - and deservedly so.
8th November 2012
Old 8th November 2012
Lives for gear

Just wanted to post a picture as I have just finished my Hypex nCore build, based on the hypex nc400 modules and the matching switched power supply. I have built these as two mono blocks, so there are separate power supplies and chassis for each.

It was a straight forward build once I had all of the components together and so far they are sounding great. Currently comparing them to the Emotiva XPA-2 amplifier on my pmc speakers.

I'll post some more thoughts once I have had a few sessions with them.
Attached Thumbnails
Hypex amp question-imageuploadedbygearslutz1352376439.458078.jpg  
Red Mastering
Verified Member
8th November 2012
Old 8th November 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strut78 View Post
Just wanted to post a picture as I have just finished my Hypex nCore build, based on the hypex nc400 modules and the matching switched power supply. I have built these as two mono blocks, so there are separate power supplies and chassis for each.

It was a straight forward build once I had all of the components together and so far they are sounding great. Currently comparing them to the Emotiva XPA-2 amplifier on my pmc speakers.

I'll post some more thoughts once I have had a few sessions with them.
congrats man!
please get back with your review asap,
what model of PMC you hooked up with hypex btw ?
8th November 2012
Old 8th November 2012
Lives for gear

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Mastering View Post
congrats man!
please get back with your review asap,
what model of PMC you hooked up with hypex btw ?
Thanks, I'll share my thoughts in the coming weeks.

I am currently just running the PMC TB2i, the have worked out to be a great match to the room but took a fair bit of moving around to get them sounding their best. I have them running with focal subs.

I have jumped through a few sets if speakers over the last few months, to try and find a good match to the room and the PMCs are working great and my initial impression with the nCore is just that much better, but still early days. I am in the process of planning a new, larger room build, so I am hoping now to look at some of the bigger options in the pmc range in the coming months.
Red Mastering
Verified Member
8th November 2012
Old 8th November 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I happily upgraded to IB1s,