Tape saturation plugin for mastering
Old 11th October 2011
Gear maniac

Tape saturation plugin for mastering

Hello,
could someone suggest me some tape saturation plug in to try that works good in mastering situation?
I use Protools and I have Cranesong Phoenix that I like very much but it's only TDM and I'm searching for some RTAS alternative too.
I'm thinking to try Eddie Kramer one. Some other options?

Thank you
Old 11th October 2011
Gear Head

Verified Member
Try Nebula R2R +TapeBoster.
Old 11th October 2011
Gear Head

Verified Member
Massey Tape Head Saturator. It's RTAS.
Old 11th October 2011
URS Saturation, or Reel Tape I believe might be your best bets... Hard to beat phoenix, but these do a bit of a different thing.
Old 11th October 2011

The one that I've heard that comes closest to something suitable for layback mastering is the Ampex ATR from UAD. Of course, you need a UAD card so.....

Anyway - it compares well to my real Ampex sat here. A recommended reason to buy a (junior) UAD on it's own.
Old 11th October 2011
Lives for gear

Is there a saturation plugin worth checking done for Audio Units, without these i-stupid-locks?
Old 11th October 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat159p1 View Post
Is there a saturation plugin worth checking done for Audio Units, without these i-stupid-locks?
Yep, pretty popular here on GS: Roundtone VST - Tape emulation (AU/VST for PC and mac)

I love it and it's only 20$! (No demo, but money back guarantee if you don't like it)
Old 11th October 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat159p1 View Post
Airwindows ToTape & ToVinyl are sweet for this. Among my fave plugs. Check out busscolors2 as well. Marvellous.
Old 11th October 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I've been very happy with the Kramer one actually.
Old 12th October 2011
Lives for gear

wave arts tube saturator
Old 12th October 2011
Gear nut

hi

Hey..
Check Duy Tape..
Or even better Decapitator from sound toys.
It has many options and you can create a lot different sounds
Old 12th October 2011
Gear nut

hi

Hey..
Check Duy Tape..
Old 12th October 2011
if you work with RTAS- Analog Channel McDSP is the only way to rock
Old 12th October 2011
Airwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphino View Post
Airwindows ToTape & ToVinyl are sweet for this. Among my fave plugs. Check out busscolors2 as well. Marvellous.
Watch out for the head bump control on ToTape, though- it can latch onto subsonics in a way I need to work on (of course ToVinyl's extremely steep highpasses would get rid of that problem). And don't try using 'Iron Oxide' for mastering. It smears stuff too much and was never meant for 2-buss- the thing about ToTape and ToVinyl, especially ToVinyl, is that I designed them on purpose to be transparent enough for a real ME to use. NOT true for Iron Oxide, only vaguely true for BussColors2 (kind of true for Desk2...)

I'm kind of allergic to digital tape effects being used for mastering, though I can see the appeal of the idea. Basically you'd need to find stuff that can be dialed back to CLEAN clean, which is not true of everything. Be careful, because anything that's smearing or especially aliasing the hell out of the sound, is not what I would call mastering. You should be trying to bring OUT what's in the track, not slap paint over it
Old 12th October 2011
Airwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelios_Drk View Post
Hey..
Check Duy Tape..
Run a sinewave with ramping output level through DUY Tape before you seriously suggest that people turn to it as a mastering tool. Listen to what happens (at least the last time I checked). If that's what you mean by check DUY Tape for mastering duties...
Old 12th October 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
The Ampex for the UAD card is the best simulation that I've tried. Very usable and controllable too.

The included presets are all a bit strong, so if you want a subtle effect, you will need to fiddle with calibration. Alternatively, there are some deliberately neutral calibration presets on UAD's site too.
Old 13th October 2011
Lives for gear

I actually like the UAD Studer. Will be demoing the Ampex hopefully this weekend. Just using 30ips and GP9 without pushing the imputs just adds a slight glue and sheen to hip hop tracks that I just love. But I've found that it helps some tracks and hurts others.
Old 20th December 2011
Gear interested

+1 for roundtone also try out there cutter tone it can give you a very vintage sound
Old 20th December 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
UAD Ampex with transformer off + HEDD Triode/Pentode (and sometimes even a little bit of the Tape process) here. IF there's something "better" out there, I personally don't care; endless combinations of flavors for me using this combo.

EDIT: Also use the UAD Studer, but after getting the Ampex, it rarely gets used for mixdown processing (still awesome for individual tracks in a mix).
Old 20th December 2011
Gear Head

Looks like the Phoenix for AAX should be right around the corner:
Phoenix_II
Old 21st December 2011
Gear addict

I switch back and forth between URS and Ozone.
Old 21st December 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganN View Post
Looks like the Phoenix for AAX should be right around the corner:
Phoenix_II
Cranesong could really use a good photoshop/graphics person. For both their website and GUI on the plugs.
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

i cannot imagine Tapehead or URS being suitable on a master.

for an effect on an individual track, sure.

for overall sweetening....well...no. not in my experience at least.

once in a while Phoenix sounds good. usually i think it doesn't.

the Waves and the UAD seemed promising when i tried them out, but i dont own 'em and so can't really dig deep into them.
Old 21st December 2011
Gear addict

As far as mastering is concerned: None of the plugs are actually tape, so.. one must find the one that resembles tape as best as it can. UAD is the only one that manages to sound like tape. At some points, even UAD fails, but, it sure blurs the lines a bit.

KAyo
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I actually really liked the Kramer when I demo'd it, it's a little OTT when you try to get real drive from it, but I guess that's just how the gear works.

I actually really like this free plug called FERRIC TDS KVR: FerricTDS - Tape Dynamics Simulator by Variety Of Sound - Details .

Actually used that recently on a job where the guy wanted more lower chug and warmth from the guitars when the music hit it's big choruses, EQ sounded obvious, this on the other hand added some subtle harmonics down there which reacted more intensely with the program material, did the trick perfectly!
Old 21st December 2011
Gear addict

Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24-96 Mastering View Post
The Ampex for the UAD card is the best simulation that I've tried. Very usable and controllable too.

The included presets are all a bit strong, so if you want a subtle effect, you will need to fiddle with calibration. Alternatively, there are some deliberately neutral calibration presets on UAD's site too.
I've tried or own most of the sims out there and the UAD ampex is the best in my opinion. I'm adding Slate VCC after it and liking the weight I'm getting on the master.
L.
Old 27th January 2012
Gear maniac

I'm also looking for a stereo master tape saturation/analog compression plug in just for the master channel.

Not UAD or RTAS, as i'd need to use it as a normal VST or AU plug

I only have PSP VW but am looking for something all round for that sound..
Old 27th January 2012
Gear Head

Verified Member
Take a look at Nebula.
Old 27th January 2012
Ubk-1 or Nebula R2r + tapebooster

/Jon
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search