New Reply
Subscribe
2xUeL
1st April 2011
Old 1st April 2011
Gear interested

Limiter Release Time

Hello!

I'm using the Waves L1+ Ultramaximizer in Pro Tools 9 for mastering my DJ mashups, and I'm confused about a discrepancy between a preset and the L1 manual:

The L1 manual continually recommends the default 1ms release time for final masters, yet, their 16-bit final master preset has a 10ms release time..??? What is a typical desired release time for a final master? I imagine it depends on the situation, but I'm usually mastering relatively loud DJ mixes.

Last edited by 2xUeL; 1st April 2011 at 03:32 AM..
3rd April 2011
Old 3rd April 2011
Gear nut

Both values are on the short side... I'd say 100 ms or more is typical. The longer the release time, the less low frequency distortions.
3rd April 2011
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

There is no default release time for mastering or any other dynamic controlled processor effects.
when you change the settings of the relapse, listen to the change of the sound. Its very noticeable when you go from 1ms to 100ms. Then use your ears for the final release setting. The release settings is dependent on different things. There's no default setting.
cj

Mixing And Mastering Studio -Professional Mixing & Mastering Studio Providing Online And Attended Sessions.
Mixed And Mastered Best Album Of The Year By En-Sound
3rd April 2011
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by docdued View Post
Both values are on the short side... I'd say 100 ms or more is typical. The longer the release time, the less low frequency distortions.
..out of lurk mode here to ask a question. I'm surprised at this given the effect at 100ms vs faster even at very low ratio.
Would it be your context is of thresholds well below hitting mostly percussive peaks?
3rd April 2011
Old 3rd April 2011
Gear nut

Yes, when you only cut off the transient peaks you're right. But most people go deeper with the threshold in these loud days...
3rd April 2011
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

Why would you want to squash dance mixes? I would think you'd want to keep what little transient pulse the electronic beats can create to drive the audience. Turning everything into homogeneous mush would counter the very driving force behind the music that makes people move.
3rd April 2011
Old 3rd April 2011
Gear Head

I´m doing mostly rock/Metal/punk productions...i´ve done some mixes until now,and they were quite ok!
Now i´m about to try my first master,and i´m also wondering how you set your release Times on the limiter (i´m working with the sonnox limiter)
i´ve heard about some quotations where you can get your release settings?!?any advices about that?!
Thanks,pat
3rd April 2011
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

FWIW.. I believe in light of what's been said particularly with regard to threshold depth, if you're pushing into it very far at all it should be fairly easy hearing the effect of the release times.
To my mind as you are crossing below just controlling transients, down into the body, look for the softening effects of longer releases.
Perhaps 'movement (pumping' in desirable amounts) in complementary timing. This might be best relegated to low ratio stuff though. (It has been a quite a while since I've tried it with L1 but I recall it does just that; Along the line of an intentional effect to a track.
2xUeL
4th April 2011
Old 4th April 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by wado1942 View Post
Why would you want to squash dance mixes? I would think you'd want to keep what little transient pulse the electronic beats can create to drive the audience. Turning everything into homogeneous mush would counter the very driving force behind the music that makes people move.
Is this question for me, the author? If so, I don't want to "squash" them, I just want to bring the overall level up a bit...especially when the multitracks come from vinyl because then the waveforms have a lot more dynamic range and thus lower overall volume, as opposed to importing MP3s.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search