New Reply
Subscribe
buteo
28th February 2011
Old 28th February 2011
Gear interested

[again] what cd-burner?

OK, I know that this is a FAQ... but it's my question:
My Plextor CDRW drive just died (OPC error) and I need an advice for best burning audio CDs.
Getting an used Plextor is risky and NOSes are too expensive for me.
Does it make sense searching for a new (out of production) CD-only burner for low-speed clv writing to minimize jitter? I only found some Liteon SOHR-5239V, new and sealed, but it's a year 2006 drive! How should it deal with current media? What about a contemporary DVD burner? I hear good opinions about Optiarc 726x drives. O have I just stand with my Liteon LH20A1S?
Thanks all.
ORC
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
ORC
Gear addict

I bit the bullet, and bought a couple of N.O.S. Plextors. Pricey, but worth it.
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Lives for gear

I recently bought a new Plextor PX-870A which comes with Plexutilities. I think it's a re-branded Lite-On drive, but you can do BLER tests.
4th March 2011
Old 4th March 2011
Gear maniac

Hmm, hadn't realised they'd discontinued the PlexWriter Premium. Next thing Taiyo Yuden will stop making decent blank discs and then we'll all be really scuppered for making masters. I've got a spare Premium 2 in its box here, and maybe it's time for us all to start keeping an eye on Ebay for more of the same, and stocking up on decent blank discs too. There's not much evidence that blank discs age particularly - I found a dozen Verbatims that must be at least a decade old the other day, marked as maximum speed 8x: I wrote them on my Premium 2 at my usual 16x and they gave error rates as good as any I've seen.
5th March 2011
Old 5th March 2011
Gear addict

Taiyo Yuden was bought by JVC some years ago so if you see any JVC CD/DVD out there on the market you can be sure that it's a Taiyo Yuden fabricated disc...

Back to topic, the Sony Optiarc AD-7260 is a good burner and is also able to make the disc quality check. There have been some tests of it in the net lately and its error rates on CD burning have been a plus point in almost any of the tests. thumbsup
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search