Your Favorite Limiter Plugin?
View Poll Results: Favorite Limiter?
112db Big Blue
2 Votes - 0.20%
Brainworx bx_XL
16 Votes - 1.64%
Fabfilter Pro-L
188 Votes - 19.24%
iZotope Ozone
108 Votes - 11.05%
PSP Xenon
71 Votes - 7.27%
Slate FG-X
106 Votes - 10.85%
Sonnox
141 Votes - 14.43%
UAD Precision
64 Votes - 6.55%
Voxengo Elephant
134 Votes - 13.72%
Waves L2 / L3
147 Votes - 15.05%
Voters: 977. You may not vote on this poll

macc
Verified Member
#121
17th February 2011
Old 17th February 2011
  #121
Lives for gear
 
macc's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian @ IK View Post
Where is the T-RackS Brickwall Limiter in that list?
That is the one that would get my vote...
Whyever might that be?

#122
18th February 2011
Old 18th February 2011
  #122
Gear maniac
 
Brian @ IK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
Whyever might that be?

Because I believe in the tools that my company develops, and I use them every day, of course. Have since long before I starting working for IK.

Make sure your cart isn't before your horse. I work here because I'm a fan and a user, not the other way around.
#123
18th February 2011
Old 18th February 2011
  #123
Lives for gear
The net is full of employees that support their companys. At leat Brian doesn't hide it.
macc
Verified Member
#124
18th February 2011
Old 18th February 2011
  #124
Lives for gear
 
macc's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Fair enough.... but please do lighten up a bit
Table Of Tone
Verified Member
#125
18th February 2011
Old 18th February 2011
  #125
Lives for gear
 
Table Of Tone's Avatar
 

Verified Member
It's a great limiter for trumpet blowers!
Specially if the artist is blowing his own one!
Quote
1
#126
19th February 2011
Old 19th February 2011
  #126
Gear maniac
 
Brian @ IK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundgeezer View Post
The net is full of employees that support their companys. At leat Brian doesn't hide it.
My job is to support our users in the community, actually.
But when I saw this poll, I had to wonder why T-RackS was overlooked, because the models in T-RackS can stand with any of those listed.

We first released T-RackS in 1999, and we were one of the first developers doing true analog modeling, even back then. We've had a long time for T-RackS to develop and mature, and the new models in the most recent generation of T-RackS can go head to head against similar models from developers costing up to 4x as much.

Go ahead and try a fully working 10-day demo and see what you're missing. Thanks!
Table Of Tone
Verified Member
#127
19th February 2011
Old 19th February 2011
  #127
Lives for gear
 
Table Of Tone's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian @ IK View Post
My job is to support our users in the community, actually.
But when I saw this poll, I had to wonder why T-RackS was overlooked, because the models in T-RackS can stand with any of those listed.

We first released T-RackS in 1999, and we were one of the first developers doing true analog modeling, even back then. We've had a long time for T-RackS to develop and mature, and the new models in the most recent generation of T-RackS can go head to head against similar models from developers costing up to 4x as much.

Go ahead and try a fully working 10-day demo and see what you're missing. Thanks!
To be honest, the reason it's been overlooked is because it's not as popular among mastering engineers as the models listed.

Also, I think that you cheapened it too much by offering six T-Racks plugs for the price of one, a couple years ago.

Mastering engineers can't be seen to be using something that their clients probably already have.

Even if it is actually OK, you guys have shot yourselves in the foot by doing those super cheap special offers.

I know that what I'm saying probably seems absurd, but people just won't hold the same mental value to it!

It's true!
#128
19th February 2011
Old 19th February 2011
  #128
Lives for gear
 
maxwelldub's Avatar
 

Elephant still wins, been meaning to try out Pro-L tho
huejahfink
Verified Member
#129
19th February 2011
Old 19th February 2011
  #129
Lives for gear
 
huejahfink's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Of Tone View Post
To be honest, the reason it's been overlooked is because it's not as popular among mastering engineers as the models listed.

Also, I think that you cheapened it too much by offering six T-Racks plugs for the price of one, a couple years ago.

Mastering engineers can't be seen to be using something that their clients probably already have.

Even if it is actually OK, you guys have shot yourselves in the foot by doing those super cheap special offers.

I know that what I'm saying probably seems absurd, but people just won't hold the same mental value to it!

It's true!
There's maybe some truth in that... but if you consider that Elephant and Ozone ARE very popular amongst mastering engineers, I don't think either having a low price or a high likelihood of being in their clients' boxes seems to have ruined their reputation as being excellent tools.
By the same token, the TC Limiters are expensive, not particularly 'easy' to obtain due to them being tied to hardware - and are also highly regarded. They're not on the list either.
#130
19th February 2011
Old 19th February 2011
  #130
Gear addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian @ IK View Post
Because I believe in the tools that my company develops, and I use them every day, of course. Have since long before I starting working for IK.
Omitting T-Racks was an oversight . I switched to it from the UAD Precision. T-Racks is more versatile and sounds better if you looking to push it hard, and its as simple as it gets. I'd say its in the same league with Vox Elephant.
#131
20th February 2011
Old 20th February 2011
  #131
Gear maniac
 
Brian @ IK's Avatar
 

Thanks Jeff. As you already know, when you download the T-RackS demo and run it through the paces, you'll discover that our models are true to the original hardware that many mastering engineers have considered to be the "holy grail" for decades. We pride ourselves on having the most accurate emulations you can find, modeled on actual hardware units we have scientifically measured.

Table of Tone, I don't buy it that top mastering engineers would choose their tools based on herd mentality, keeping up with the Joneses, or anything other than their own ears. You are certainly free to do that if you wish, but you are doing your clients a disservice if you do.
macc
Verified Member
#132
20th February 2011
Old 20th February 2011
  #132
Lives for gear
 
macc's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian @ IK View Post
Thanks Jeff. As you already know, when you download the T-RackS demo and run it through the paces, you'll discover that our models are true to the original hardware that many mastering engineers have considered to be the "holy grail" for decades. We pride ourselves on having the most accurate emulations you can find, modeled on actual hardware units we have scientifically measured.
Which holy grail hardware brickwall limiter did you scientifically measure?
#133
20th February 2011
Old 20th February 2011
  #133
Gear maniac
 
Brian @ IK's Avatar
 

I'm talking about the Fairchild 670 model here, clearly, not the Brickwall Limiter.
But I appreciate your attempt.
macc
Verified Member
#134
20th February 2011
Old 20th February 2011
  #134
Lives for gear
 
macc's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Sorry, it's ever so difficult to keep up. Perhaps you could give each post a title to let us know which product you're telling us about..?

Anyway, the spamming's worked - I'll give the T-racks limiter * a try. Why not










* brickwall, btw
#135
20th February 2011
Old 20th February 2011
  #135
Lives for gear
 
StephenWiley's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian @ IK View Post
I'm talking about the Fairchild 670 model here, clearly, not the Brickwall Limiter.
But I appreciate your attempt.
Not trying to start a war of words here but the UAD Fairchild puts the IK one to shame.

The Brickwall Limiter and Linear Phase EQ are worthy enough to be used by professionals but IMO that is it.
#136
20th February 2011
Old 20th February 2011
  #136
Talio
 
Mercado_Negro's Avatar
 

Pro-L, Elephant, IK Brickwall, Xenon and FG-X are all good limiters if you do a good job or has a good mix before 'hitting' them.

TB Barricade has my vote though it's not included in the list.

P.S. I used the UAD Fairchild 670 for years but I replaced it for IK's version, much better in my opinion.

Cheers
#137
20th February 2011
Old 20th February 2011
  #137
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenWiley View Post
Not trying to start a war of words here but the UAD Fairchild puts the IK one to shame.
Yeah, not starting any wars here but the IK Fairchild is an infinitely more complex design than the UAD Fairchild (this is a fact and can be measured in Christian Budde's analyzer) and in my opinion sounds better.

*launching missiles*

Cheers!
bManic
Table Of Tone
Verified Member
#138
20th February 2011
Old 20th February 2011
  #138
Lives for gear
 
Table Of Tone's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian @ IK View Post
Thanks Jeff. As you already know, when you download the T-RackS demo and run it through the paces, you'll discover that our models are true to the original hardware that many mastering engineers have considered to be the "holy grail" for decades. We pride ourselves on having the most accurate emulations you can find, modeled on actual hardware units we have scientifically measured.

Table of Tone, I don't buy it that top mastering engineers would choose their tools based on herd mentality, keeping up with the Joneses, or anything other than their own ears. You are certainly free to do that if you wish, but you are doing your clients a disservice if you do.
The fact is that many top shelf ME's (probably around 50%) don't even like the sound of, or even use plugs and are definitely not doing their clients a disservice by not using an IK plug!

There's quite a few other limiters that are not on the list.
What about the Loud Max CubeTec VPI, for instance?

I'm not saying that IK plugs are in any way bad, as plugs go, but you seem to be overly defending your plugs and at the same time, trying to hard sell them on this forum.

This comes accross in a bad way!
PBM
Verified Member
#139
20th February 2011
Old 20th February 2011
  #139
PBM
Lives for gear
 
PBM's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian @ IK View Post
I'm talking about the Fairchild 670 model here, clearly, not the Brickwall Limiter.
But I appreciate your attempt.
But isn't this a Brickwall poll?

The new Fab-L is a smile-maker.
kdf
#140
21st February 2011
Old 21st February 2011
  #140
kdf
Gear nut
 

This inspired me to do my own tests. From the votes in the poll I chose Izotope, Voxengo Elephant, Oxford Limiter, and Flux Pure limiter (after reading the post by Largerfeldt). For me the Oxford and the Izotope lacked clarity and depth compared to the other two. I did battle a bit with setting up Flux, but after reading Largerfeldt's suggested set up it was better. BUT when I did an AB with the Elephant & Flux, I preferred Elephant. I used a rock track. With Elephant I got a lot of loudness without the snare drum losing its punch and being pushed back like Izotpoe and Oxford did for the same 'loudness'. Flux always sounded good, but I could not get the same 'loudness' as Elephant.
#141
21st February 2011
Old 21st February 2011
  #141
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko View Post
Massey L2007
yep
#142
22nd February 2011
Old 22nd February 2011
  #142
Lives for gear
 
Beatworld's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf View Post
From the votes in the poll I chose Izotope, Voxengo Elephant, Oxford Limiter, and Flux Pure limiter (after reading the post by Largerfeldt)
Just curious why you didn't try Fabfilter Pro-L as well ?
From the votes on the poll it is a clear 3rd which is pretty good considering the top 2 have been out for years.
Lagerfeldt has the Fabfilter Pro-L if you check out his kit list
kdf
#143
22nd February 2011
Old 22nd February 2011
  #143
kdf
Gear nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
Just curious why you didn't try Fabfilter Pro-L as well ?
From the votes on the poll it is a clear 3rd which is pretty good considering the top 2 have been out for years.
Lagerfeldt has the Fabfilter Pro-L if you check out his kit list
I will try it now. It can get ear bogling to try to compare too many at a time! This comparison thing is quite an art, and I can't say I am the best at it. That's why I enjoy this kind of poll, as long as it doesn't get bogged down with meaningless auguments.
#144
22nd February 2011
Old 22nd February 2011
  #144
Gear nut
 
Andy W.'s Avatar
 

MsDSP ML4000
#145
22nd February 2011
Old 22nd February 2011
  #145
Gear interested
 
spstudios's Avatar
I use a couple - Sonnox - L2 - and Roger Nichols Finis (my favorite)
kdf
#146
22nd February 2011
Old 22nd February 2011
  #146
kdf
Gear nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
Just curious why you didn't try Fabfilter Pro-L as well ?
From the votes on the poll it is a clear 3rd which is pretty good considering the top 2 have been out for years.
Lagerfeldt has the Fabfilter Pro-L if you check out his kit list
Wow! I like this! Just downloaded the FabFilter Pro-L. for me this puts the Pro-L and the Elephant at the top of the list. I need to do more listening tests, but I like the fact that on the Pro-L there is lots of control to tweek settings until it works for the song. It is great to have presets that actually work, and then being able to tweek everything that matters - This is for me. And it sounds great!
#147
22nd February 2011
Old 22nd February 2011
  #147
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
 

None of those. I love the Metric Halo Limiter that comes as part of their DSP package.
Virtalahde
Verified Member
#148
22nd February 2011
Old 22nd February 2011
  #148
Lives for gear
 
Virtalahde's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Elephant and Pro-L here. Both are excellent.

The current Elephant has too many unnecessary knobs, but still sounds great. The Pro-L is my new favourite, highly and easily tweakable work horse. Yesterday I went with the Pro-L, today with the Elephant.
Riccardo
Verified Member
#149
22nd February 2011
Old 22nd February 2011
  #149
Mastering Moderator
 
Riccardo's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Pro-L, Elephant, IK Brickwall, Xenon and FG-X are all good limiters if you do a good job or has a good mix before 'hitting' them.

TB Barricade has my vote though it's not included in the list.

P.S. I used the UAD Fairchild 670 for years but I replaced it for IK's version, much better in my opinion.

Cheers
Barricade seems nice, don't like the way control reacts to fine adjustments but mybe it is just me.......
#150
23rd February 2011
Old 23rd February 2011
  #150
Gear maniac
 
Brian @ IK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
What´s the hardware version of the Yellow EQ & Compressor?
Gyraff ?
It's modeled on a Calrec UA-8000 which was originally housed at Abbey Road Studios, and eventually found its way to Italy. IK Multimedia's CTO, Davide Barbi, an audio engineer himself, used to service it, as he was the only one in the Modena area who was qualified to repair it.
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
StephenWiley / Electronic Music Instruments & Electronic Music Production
27
AlanTide / So much gear, so little time!
44
Ollie / Music Computers
9
gem / Music Computers
4
MagicMark / Expert Question & Answer Archives
9

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.