Login / Register

What Mogami cables do you use - 2893, 2534, or ?
New Reply
Subscribe
siddhu
Verified Member
25th August 2010
Old 25th August 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
What Mogami cables do you use - 2893, 2534, or ?

I'm getting shorter cables made for use with my new Plan F console from Sterling Modular and I'm wondering what Mogami cables people are using and why.

On my current short list are the 2893 or the Quad 2534 but I'm not sure which one would be better. Any suggestions?

BTW: Please don't suggest other brands as the only other brand I plan on using is Vovox.

Kama Sutra Lovers
dcollins
Verified Member
25th August 2010
Old 25th August 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhu View Post
I'm getting shorter cables made for use with my new Plan F console from Sterling Modular and I'm wondering what Mogami cables people are using and why.

On my current short list are the 2893 or the Quad 2534 but I'm not sure which one would be better. Any suggestions?

BTW: Please don't suggest other brands as the only other brand I plan on using is Vovox.
I would avoid quad-star cable unless you really need the extra interference immunity.

DC
26th August 2010
Old 26th August 2010
Lives for gear

For balanced analog connections I've been using Mogami MG-3080, which is sold as their 110ohm AES/EBU cable. Me like.
26th August 2010
Old 26th August 2010
Lives for gear

If you're not working with snakes and want a standard size wire, stick with 2549.

As stated earlier in this thread (and countless other places) there's absolutely no everyday need for a quad configuration cable 2534/2893 in the studio.

3080 or 3173 are Mogami's AES/EBU cables both designed above spec and lots of folks love those too.
dcollins
Verified Member
26th August 2010
Old 26th August 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfischman3 View Post
3080 or 3173 are Mogami's AES/EBU cables both designed above spec and lots of folks love those too.
If it has to be Mogami, I'd also recommend using a digital cable for everything. Like Belden 1800F.

DC
WBM
27th August 2010
Old 27th August 2010
WBM
Lives for gear

Those are what I use 3080, 3173 Mogami's AES/EBU great wires, steady.
siddhu
Verified Member
27th August 2010
Old 27th August 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
What are the differences between 3173 and 3080? When should you choose the 3173, and when is it best to use 3080?
27th August 2010
Old 27th August 2010
Lives for gear

3173 is long run AES cable. If you're simply using this for your analog runs thought, 3080 should be plenty o' goodness.

3080 utilizes 25awg overall conductors and the 3173, 18awg. If you're wiring patchbays and need smaller OD SAES/EBU Spec cable Mogami does offer that also!
Jerry Tubb
Verified Member
29th August 2010
Old 29th August 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Verified Member
29th August 2010
Old 29th August 2010
Gear Head

Am using the MG 3080 for my single-ended runs. This is rated at 14 pF/foot. The hot and ground signals are on the twisted pair, and the drain is for one end, only. The Lavry DAC has jumpers which can ground pin 3 for single-ended signalling. The drain is still on pin 1 of the transfer DAC, but is abandoned on the receiving device. I have nothing on pin 1 of the monitor DAC, because the amp told me that it wants to have the drain on _its_ pin 1, along with the cold... I think this is sometimes referred to as pseudo-balanced. Very quiet system, and with only half the amplifiers in path (as true balanced requires).

Also, while I do believe that the extra piano felt surrounds around my tweeters and along the wood that is exposed when not using the speaker grilles helps reduce the Dunlavy tweeter-zing thing, what I believe has been a sea change in added warmth, bass, and tube-like fullness in my solid state amp (Pass X-350), has been the result of simply not turning off the amp at the end of each day. I used to turn it to standby mode because Mr. Pass told me that it only needed 1 hour warm-up from standby mode in order to sound 95% or so as good as it would ever sound. I heartily disagree. The amp sounds a little better each day! On some transients, it can mean the difference between pain and pleasure! It cuts its life in half to leave on, rather than to put on standby each night, but I bought it refurbished, anyway!

Cheers,
Andrew
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search