CD burner suggestions?
New Reply
Subscribe
Teddy Ray
19th August 2010
Old 19th August 2010
Lives for gear

CD burner suggestions?

Having difficulty finding the Premium 2 and 760A.

What else out there is top notch and not too hard to find?

Teddy Ray

( I did a search but the last thread was last year and we all know how fast the computer world moves)
19th August 2010
Old 19th August 2010
kdf
Gear nut

I am also looking for the answer. The last time I did research a few names came up;

LITON
BENQ
NEC

It must be a drive supported by Opti Drive Control so that quality error tests can be done.

I remenber that BENQ was the drive that supported all the tests on Opti Drive but at the time I did not get a massive YES response to BENQ on Gearslutz, so I have not taken it further yet. Any new developments???
19th August 2010
Old 19th August 2010
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

How important is it to have a good dedicated audio cd burner, does it make a difference over just a usual cd/dvd burner drive in a pc? (is it worth it?)

Also are there specific blanks that are better than just the usual Verbatim or TDK writable disks?

Is it worth it and is there a big difference at all?
Jerry Tubb
Verified Member
19th August 2010
Old 19th August 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Verified Member
19th August 2010
Old 19th August 2010
Lives for gear

I find CDs burnt on my Alesis Master Disk sound much better than CDs burnt on my MacPro. I use Apogee CDRs only because I bought 200 a couple years ago. My clients bring TDKs and Verbatims. They seem to sound fine too.
jamesp
Verified Member
19th August 2010
Old 19th August 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf View Post
I remenber that BENQ was the drive that supported all the tests on Opti Drive but at the time I did not get a massive YES response to BENQ on Gearslutz, so I have not taken it further yet. Any new developments???
Benq drives haven't been manufactured since 2006 so you are unlikely to find any new ones now. They were a cheap alternative to Plextor as they could also be used to error check discs with the right software - that's why they were recommended for use with Opti Drive Control.

Unfortunately, optical drives are commodity items nowadays and there just isn't the demand for anything better. It seems that even Plextor can't justify the continued production of the Premium2 as it has now disappeared from their current web pages.

If I was buying something right now I would probably look at Pioneer drives for burning and try to find an old Plextor that can read, but longer burn DVD's for error checking. Drives often lose the ability to write discs long before they stop reading discs as the laser power required for writing is much higher.

James.
19th August 2010
Old 19th August 2010
Lives for gear

My Plextor Premium 2 also died a while ago... I second the question - what do you burn on currently - are there no "high-end" burners available anymore?

John Cage

http://elmutante.bandcamp.com/album/...of-kindness-ep

http://worldhappinessmusic.bandcamp.com/
kdf
19th August 2010
Old 19th August 2010
kdf
Gear nut

So BENQ is out!
OptiArc is another drive supported by OptiDrive control.

Any Comments?
19th August 2010
Old 19th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestikc View Post
How important is it to have a good dedicated audio cd burner, does it make a difference over just a usual cd/dvd burner drive in a pc? (is it worth it?)

Also are there specific blanks that are better than just the usual Verbatim or TDK writable disks?

Is it worth it and is there a big difference at all?
I find Taiyo Yuden the best most reliable blanks. Years agio I used to try all different kinds at different speeds, and when I switche dto TYU they all come out fine, never a question about my copies or masters. and at 33c each in lots of 600, no cost problem!

I use Pioneer burners on my Macs, totally reliable for years now. Haven't even needed to shop for a new one.

L
19th August 2010
Old 19th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldie wave View Post
I find CDs burnt on my Alesis Master Disk sound much better than CDs burnt on my MacPro.
Not that I've ever done the comparison myself, but this doesn't seem possible. CDs have to burn every single bit on to the disc, and drives have to be able to read every single bit at way past 1x speed or else burnt software would not work. So if all of the bits are there, and all of the bits are read, how can one sound different than another?
19th August 2010
Old 19th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheebs Goat View Post
Not that I've ever done the comparison myself, but this doesn't seem possible. CDs have to burn every single bit on to the disc, and drives have to be able to read every single bit at way past 1x speed or else burnt software would not work. So if all of the bits are there, and all of the bits are read, how can one sound different than another?
I find this strange also. There must be some really clever audio engines at work with lesser burners, as they are able to modify the extremely complex voltage measuremet data signal, which includes multiple redundancy and Solomon-Reed interleaving so that it just sounds less good, instead of garbled...

re burners: with error free DDP files the need for "perfect" masters disappears. I have found that normal CD-R drives make plenty good enough "masters" for cheking the CD-Text and general content, and clients are happy also. Pressing plant gets a DDP folder on a USB memory stick. Maybe this is the reason drive manufacturers do not see a reason to make and market a reference CD burner. It is not really needed for anything anymore.
Teddy Ray
19th August 2010
Old 19th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Listener View Post
My Plextor Premium 2 also died a while ago... I second the question - what do you burn on currently - are there no "high-end" burners available anymore?

since not many answered... I am really curious what the MEs here burn with..
19th August 2010
Old 19th August 2010
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to Jperkinski
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray View Post
I have both a Plextor Premium II and a Pioneer (the one that came stock) in my Mac Pro and they both actually write great masters. I usually do one at 4x with the Premium II and one at 16x with the Pioneer, then boot up in Windows and use whatever one has the lowest error rate as the master, and the other as the reference copy, assuming there are no C2 or CU errors. The Plextor actually has the occasional C2 or CU error. This is always with TY discs.
Cellotron
Verified Member
19th August 2010
Old 19th August 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Used to use Plextor Premium's but the two I had both died a little bit ago -
I now use a couple Plextor 760A's sourced as NOS from Saitech Online - Computer Laptop Notebook Hardware Software IT Parts

After these are gone? who knows. The Plextor Blu-Ray/DVD/CD combo drive I recently got (which I believe is a rebranded Pioneer) has proven to be a poor performer for CD-R audio masters.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
19th August 2010
Old 19th August 2010
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

I suppose using a big flash or external hard drive makes more sense for handing stuff over to mastering
19th August 2010
Old 19th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestikc View Post
I suppose using a big flash or external hard drive makes more sense for handing stuff over to mastering
If you're going to say one type of CD writer has a sound over another, you also have to allow for one hard drive to sound different than another. Ditto for flash drives, RAM, and internet routers. All of them store and retrieve numbers.
Cellotron
Verified Member
19th August 2010
Old 19th August 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Critical point to understand is that with current methods of glass mastering the difference in "sound" of the CD-R audio master when it is played back in different CD players has no actual effect on the replicated product as long as it is data identical to the data image it was created from. It's easy enough to verify that this is indeed an easy thing to achieve by doing a simple test with any "secure" DAE software (where it re-reads sectors after any error flag is triggered) such as Exact Audio Copy.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
MASSIVE Master
Verified Member
19th August 2010
Old 19th August 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Verified Member
Send a message via AIM to MASSIVE Master
Quote:
I have a 712, 716, 760, a pair of 755's (only one still in the box) and that's it - All my Premiums are gone, the new drives (such as the 880's) suck (and the "error checking" is a joke - a bad joke).

Spoon-feed a newb some answer and he'll mix for a day -
Get him to *think* about it and figure it out for himself and he'll mix for a lifetime --- JS
adamgonsa
Verified Member
19th August 2010
Old 19th August 2010
Gear maniac

Verified Member
Send a message via Skype™ to adamgonsa
Quote:
Rebranded Lite-On drive works great for burning over here. I used to have a Pioneer that produced very low error rates but it crapped out after a little over a year. I also have a 716SA that I use with Plextools but don't burn with.

Slightly OT, but download jobs way outnumber CD burning jobs for me right now.

Adam Gonsalves
Telegraph Mastering
20th August 2010
Old 20th August 2010
Lives for gear

There sure are differences in burn quality (error rates) between burners, but if it would manifest as degraded audio quality using those same burners for PDFs, spreadsheets etc would also degrade picture quality, numerical exactness etc.

Which burner would best preserve the flowing prose of my first novel? I need to send it to to publisher on a CD-R and do not want the burner or disk to degrade the clarity of thought and make it just mundane.
20th August 2010
Old 20th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
There sure are differences in burn quality (error rates) between burners, but if it would manifest as degraded audio quality using those same burners for PDFs, spreadsheets etc would also degrade picture quality, numerical exactness etc.

Which burner would best preserve the flowing prose of my first novel? I need to send it to to publisher on a CD-R and do not want the burner or disk to degrade the clarity of thought and make it just mundane.
Careful Petrus! Some older burners make spelling error, not just syntax mistakes!
;-)
Ha ha. as if.
Greg Reierson
Verified Member
15th September 2010
Old 15th September 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I'm looking for a new master burner as well. What's worth looking at?

Thanks,

GR

"If the album isn't competing for singles airplay in focus groups, forget about loudness!" - Bob Olhsson
Teddy Ray
15th September 2010
Old 15th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reierson View Post
I'm looking for a new master burner as well. What's worth looking at?

Thanks,

GR
I found two premiums. NOS. thumbsup

and no offense, Petrus, but when you become a Mastering Engineer with the experience these guys have, ill take what you say on this subject to heart. There is a reason the Plextor drives are reccomended across the board.
inlinenl
Verified Member
15th September 2010
Old 15th September 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
CD burner suggestions?

So how much is a vintage premium 2 worth to you ....

The first/last computer vintage hardware ... IDE .. What's that .. does it have transformers .. :-)
15th September 2010
Old 15th September 2010
WBM
Lives for gear

I still have a 755 and 750 but when it comes to burn on mac I used an old lightscribe porche since to work real good, but Lite-on 'll do the job.
15th September 2010
Old 15th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlinenl View Post
So how much is a vintage premium 2 worth to you ....

The first/last computer vintage hardware ... IDE .. What's that .. does it have transformers .. :-)

worth nothing now since I am all stocked up. 2 hooked up and one on standby!

Plextools=awesome.
17th February 2011
Old 17th February 2011
Gear addict

Hey fellas, I have to revive this one...

I'm in search for a new masterburner. It needs to be S-ATA and able to run with Opti Drive Control / CD-DVD Speed. Any suggestions??

There are mentioned some good ones but most of them are IDE...

I was thiking of a Samsung SH-S223L or LiteOn iHAS424. Maybe a Plextor PW-880SA (LiteOn) or Sony OptiArc??
Darius van H
Verified Member
17th February 2011
Old 17th February 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I don't think there's any need to drop big cash on a Premium. I've burnt maybe a thousand masters with Plextor DVD burners, never had a problem reported from a factory. These old DVD burners can be picked up for peanuts second hand, but obviously you gotta hope you get a good 'un.
17th February 2011
Old 17th February 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Verified Member
Send a message via AIM to MASSIVE Master
I have a few 880's -- They seem capable enough (but don't trust the software that comes with them as far as error-checking is concerned - They're not even close and it actually resembles an uneducated guess that varies widely from read to read on the same disc).
Darius van H
Verified Member
17th February 2011
Old 17th February 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
If you only use your old Plex for checking and not for burning, it'll last a lot longer - that's what i do!

Many masters made that way, no problems.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search