Dr Dre Beats Headphones
Old 10th July 2010
Gear maniac

Dr Dre Beats Headphones

just wondering if anyone has sampled either of the two varieties of Beats headphones. opions? How do they stack up against Beyers, AkGs, Senns etc in the same price range?
Old 10th July 2010
Lives for gear

they gave us a few when at the LA office and they sound like "the club". Very hyped and great sounding for that club feel in the headphones. I wouldn't try to mix anything with them but artist love to record with them in the booth replacing the 7506's for that purpose. The Diddy beats don't sound good at all to me. Haven't checked the Gaga ones that were dropped off.
Old 10th July 2010
Gear maniac

dj producer class....something like bose....maybe they are good as a "commercial source" reference, but then i would prefere technics or sony dj ones....

dont give up your akg or beyerD.
Old 11th July 2010
Lives for gear

Yeah the Monster headphones are... wow. Very far from the refinement of Beyerdynamic 770/880, AKG 701/702/240DF, and Sennheiser 600/650 on basically every front (freq/phase/resonance/distortion/etc).
Old 11th July 2010
Gear maniac

Thanks gents, just curious ......absolutely, the Beyer 770s stay on my skull! Love em.
Old 11th July 2010
Lives for gear

I work for a certain company that is named after a piece of fruit and see them returned all the time because the plastic snaps off. They're cheaply made. For that money I'd pick up the B&W P5s, those are some incredibly durable, comfortable, and beautiful sounding headphones.
Old 24th August 2010
Gear interested

Dr Dre Beats Headphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwelldub
I work for a certain company that is named after a piece of fruit and see them returned all the time because the plastic snaps off. They're cheaply made. For that money I'd pick up the B&W P5s, those are some incredibly durable, comfortable, and beautiful sounding headphones.
Yes this is so true, although they sound good they aren't sturdy or durable it's all show, shame on you Dr. Dre I'm selling mine as soon as I get them back. I'll get some grados I should have in the first place.
Old 23rd September 2010
Lives for gear

so back to earbuds, not headphones, curious what are the best out there?
Old 24th September 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONDRAY View Post
As always there is no "Best." I've heard Shures and Eytomotics that sounded good to me, but you might disagree.

The more expensive Apple buds with the little silicone ends are much better than what comes stock, imo.

DC
Old 24th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONDRAY View Post

I Love the AKG 701s and Denon 7000 as modified by Lawton audio
Old 24th September 2010
Gear nut

Verified Member
Just realized that I've had my Sennheiser HD600s for 10 years now. Two pairs. I also love Etymotic (except the first iPod phones - the "i6" I think) and I've used their high attenuation earplugs for close to 12 years. After I settled on those products I haven't thought that much about phones in a bit.
Old 24th September 2010
Gear Head

I'm sure you'll get a million opinions, but I'm very happy with my Sennheiser IE-7 earbuds. They fit well and sound great. Far better than at least the original Shure E Series stuff.
Old 24th September 2010
Lives for gear

Why are the Dr Dre Beats even in the Mastering Forum. You kidding right?

Cue My Favourite Headphone thread.
Old 24th September 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by api2500 View Post
Why are the Dr Dre Beats even in the Mastering Forum.
Beats by Dr. Dre
Might not be so bad?

Using Sony MDR V600's
& the cheap Skull Candy and ear buds
Old 24th September 2010
Lives for gear

They do sound really good though. I dont think for mixing but for playback it sounds great.
Old 24th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz Mastering View Post
Beats by Dr. Dre
Might not be so bad?

Using Sony MDV V600's
& the cheap Skull Candy and ear buds
I know what they are. I just really don't like them.

If I want to check for a club "sound" I've got a set of old Phonic PAs. Of course playback testing is important, but I wouldn't even buy them to enjoy music on...
Old 24th September 2010
Gear maniac

My friend has a pair of them...they're fun to listen with (especially hip hop), but the bass is kind of exaggerated IMO.
Old 26th September 2010
Lives for gear

they offer a good representation of what the non-informed public would be listening on....

think of the "tone" controls on a car or home stereo.....the "beats" headphones sound like the typical home/car installation, where the bass and treble tilt have been turned all the way up

in that respect they do offer a scenario that resembles the average listeners "loudness curve" preferences....

as sad as that may seem, it's reality

I personally use HD600's powered by a Bryston 2bLP....but that's me

for the record I did listen to the "beats" for a few minutes....I found them to be cheaply built, and downright annoying for my ear (in comfort and spectral balance)....to be fair I have not heard them through a decent headphone amp
Old 26th September 2010
Gear addict

someone I know had a pair of these. listened to my audio technica ath-m50, then I listened to the dre beats. The m50's sounded far better. I had to hold my tongue from loling at the dude for buying them
Old 26th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari-M. View Post
they offer a good representation of what the non-informed public would be listening on....
Possibly, but I still wouldn't use them for reference purposes of any kind. I've spent decent effort over the years into figuring out the problems that can be caused by certain audio on many different kinds of setups, and then working toward techniques reducing some of those problems as much as I can without altering how it sounds on legitimately great systems.

For instance...... just something as simple as learning the total basics of a non-linear EQ, and how the phase changes can be just as good or bad for audio... sometimes requiring what most people would consider a smaller change in gain than should be required for a large change in the sound. You can alter the overall perception of the spectral balance with less actual gain change needed. Sometimes way less, depending on the change you're trying to make, and how the specific EQ band itself sounds on it. thumbsup

Quote:
to be fair I have not heard them through a decent headphone amp
They are all about 32ohms across the frequency response so a better headphone amp wouldn't have made a monstrous difference anyways in that regard. The quality of the headphone amp itself of course would but not nearly as much of a "bad presentation" as an amp not capable of higher resistance loads at some frequencies. Like an HD-800 that peaks at nearly 700 Ohms around 120-140Hz area usually, but is "only" 350 Ohms by 1kHz, which would be much more effected by that effect.
Old 26th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Graffam View Post
Possibly, but I still wouldn't use them for reference purposes of any kind. I've spent decent effort over the years into figuring out the problems that can be caused by certain audio on many different kinds of setups, and then working toward techniques reducing some of those problems as much as I can without altering how it sounds on legitimately great systems.

For instance...... just something as simple as learning the total basics of a non-linear EQ, and how the phase changes can be just as good or bad for audio... sometimes requiring what most people would consider a smaller change in gain than should be required for a large change in the sound. You can alter the overall perception of the spectral balance with less actual gain change needed. Sometimes way less, depending on the change you're trying to make, and how the specific EQ band itself sounds on it. thumbsup

They are all about 32ohms across the frequency response so a better headphone amp wouldn't have made a monstrous difference anyways in that regard. The quality of the headphone amp itself of course would but not nearly as much of a "bad presentation" as an amp not capable of higher resistance loads at some frequencies. Like an HD-800 that peaks at nearly 700 Ohms around 120-140Hz area usually, but is "only" 350 Ohms by 1kHz, which would be much more effected by that effect.

nor would I use them for "reference purposes"....they do however represent the tonal balance of most modern consumer playback systems (just as the ns-10 did when it was released)

certainly people used/use ns-10's....I personally do not.....but I do understand why they are used

a reasonable headphone amp would have made a significant difference, as the kiosk I listened to them on was flat out unacceptable.....

regardless of load or input impedance an amplifier with more stability during transient swings would give a more accurate representation of what the headphones are/were capable of

as I said already....I personal use the HD600 and a 2bLP....it's what I like

if someone makes a great sounding product on something else, including the "Beats" then more power to them

not sure the basis of your statements, as you attempt to offer a rebuttal to opinions of mine....which, regardless of what you say, are still my opinions....because I trust what I hear and can measure

to say that a different headphone amp wouldn't make a difference....when I never told you what amp was driving them to being with doesn't strike me as rational

<DELETED BY MODERATOR>

Last edited by GS moderation; 28th September 2010 at 06:22 AM..
Old 27th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Only the public who are donuts would buy them.

They sound far more clubby than hi-fi-y in my opinion.

But I have totally different tastes to what the Beats are aiming for.
Old 27th September 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonati View Post
I also love Etymotic (except the first iPod phones - the "i6" I think) and I've used their high attenuation earplugs for close to 12 years.
I love those things. They are the only way I can attend and enjoy most any concert these days. thumbsupthumbsup

K.
Old 27th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Only the public who are donuts would buy them.

They sound far more clubby than hi-fi-y in my opinion.

But I have totally different tastes to what the Beats are aiming for.

a very large majority of the public are, as you describe, "donuts"

the "beats" have sold quite well, so I think they represent the spectral balance that the modern consumer wants/expects to hear (sad as that may be)

Old 27th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
a very large majority of the public are, as you describe, "donuts"

the "beats" have sold quite well, so I think they represent the spectral balance that the modern consumer wants/expects to hear (sad as that may be)

Large Minority yes. But I think a lot of people (punters) are skeptical of them.

iPod headphones seem to be absolutely the most widespread headphone, yet no one here owns up to checking mixes back on them.
Old 27th September 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
iPod headphones seem to be absolutely the most widespread headphone, yet no one here owns up to checking mixes back on them.
Post #14... but not at all on the regular.
Old 27th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz Mastering View Post
Post #14... but not at all on the regular.
I do it a fair bit. But tbh, thats what NS10s are for (and the similar ilk).
Old 27th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Large Minority yes. But I think a lot of people (punters) are skeptical of them.

interesting....have you read this article about the beats?

A force in music turns to its sound - Los Angeles Times

if you read that you will see that the beats are one of the most successful lines of audio accessories in current production....grossing well over $50million in US sales the first quarter of this year?

did you also know the beats are Jimmy Iovine's brainchild?

I check every single mix of mine through an iPOD (gen 3) with AAC encoding and the stock earbuds....not sure why you think no one does that or no one will admit it? it represents the largest standard in music playback systems

bit puzzled

read the articles....it might offer you some insight
Old 28th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
interesting....have you read this article about the beats?

A force in music turns to its sound - Los Angeles Times

if you read that you will see that the beats are one of the most successful lines of audio accessories in current production....grossing well over $50million in US sales the first quarter of this year?

did you also know the beats are Jimmy Iovine's brainchild?

I check every single mix of mine through an iPOD (gen 3) with AAC encoding and the stock earbuds....not sure why you think no one does that or no one will admit it? it represents the largest standard in music playback systems

bit puzzled

read the articles....it might offer you some insight
I'm saying no one admits to it. I do it. Quite a bit. Just the iPod Headphones though.

Hold on... $50 Million in the first quarter, $350 Headphones, thats only 142,857 (rough crude possibly misleading maths) per quarter, thats not all that many is it? I know the iPod sales trumped that easily.

I personally don't like the sound of them at all. I certainly don't don't feel the need to check mixes back on it at all, I'm not sure it they'd make good mix checkers. I have other headphones and monitors and cars etc to check back on. I certainly wouldn't buy them anyway if I don't like the sound. Thats just my opinion.
Old 28th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm saying no one admits to it. I do it. Quite a bit. Just the iPod Headphones though.

Hold on... $50 Million in the first quarter, $350 Headphones, thats only 142,857 (rough crude possibly misleading maths) per quarter, thats not all that many is it? I know the iPod sales trumped that easily.

I personally don't like the sound of them at all. I certainly don't don't feel the need to check mixes back on it at all, I'm not sure it they'd make good mix checkers. I have other headphones and monitors and cars etc to check back on. I certainly wouldn't buy them anyway if I don't like the sound. Thats just my opinion.

no no read the article more carefully, also look at the entire product line

only the upper tier model is $350 (which accounts for a very small percentage of the overall product line sales)

not saying that the beats account for more sales than the iPOD, that would be absurd....

but they do represent a slice of consumer playback options

I personally didn't like them, and wouldn't own a pair...they felt cheaply made

I do think they show a current trend for spectral response though
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search