PMC TB2i , experiences?
Old 8th February 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
PMC TB2i , experiences?

Is anyone using these on here at the mo? what you driving them with? found a real good deal and would like to hear them really but thought I would ask on here either way

thanks

Joe
Old 8th February 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Hi,

couldn't find detailed info about differences within PMC TB family
just few phrases that i got new high speakers
if they sound as good as classic TB2, then don't think twice, and don't look back
GRAB IT!
difference between krk and pmc will be day&night
strongly recommended...
Old 8th February 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
This is what I'm thinking, I'd love to demo some, and I actually work in a shop that sells em, but we havn't got any bloody room for em!
Old 8th February 2010
Gear interested

well,

why not take them home and then check yourself ?
Old 8th February 2010
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
We have TB2+ in the recording studio, We had TB2s before the Plus (different tweeter and crossover)

PMC users since uhm.... 2000 if I remember correctly or maybe 1999.

If you plan on using them for mastering get the best amp within your budget, as trnsparent as possible. If you have good room acoustics you will only lack some of the bottom end. Also it takes time to learn how to jufge /balance bottom end on the PMCs if you haven't used them before. Listen to a lot of CDs you are familiar with.
Add a sub as soon as finances allow and you willl be fine.
Old 8th February 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo View Post
Add a sub as soon as finances allow and you willl be fine.
you can buy a good tube amp, and forget about sub for a while...
I got hifi MJ Acoustics PRO sub, which I got after some research
Since I bough tube power amp I don't switch on sub anymore....
It's unnecessary, simple with tube amp my PMCs goes really down
and I am really happy with how it sounds now

being perfectly honest I use sub only when play on bass guitar (I don't have dedicated bass amp, so bass goes into my system directly vi DI)

all the best
Old 8th February 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasheko View Post
well,

why not take them home and then check yourself ?
Because I'd get fired...(!)
Old 8th February 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tresperros View Post
you can buy a good tube amp, and forget about sub for a while...
I got hifi MJ Acoustics PRO sub, which I got after some research
Since I bough tube power amp I don't switch on sub anymore....
It's unnecessary, simple with tube amp my PMCs goes really down
and I am really happy with how it sounds now

being perfectly honest I use sub only when play on bass guitar (I don't have dedicated bass amp, so bass goes into my system directly vi DI)

all the best

Interesting. What tube amp? An ME I work with has just left his long-time big tube amps which as I know sounded truly excellent for big solid state monoblocs. I will be interested to hear the difference he says he hears.

SB
Old 8th February 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
it's a power tube amp - HFA12 Edison designed by Erik Andersson
a Swedish tube amp designer, who left Brighton some times ago and moved to Paris where he launched branch audion

all I miss is more W
because HFA is only 12W per site, clean A
Old 8th February 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tresperros View Post
it's a power tube amp - HFA12 Edison designed by Erik Andersson
a Swedish tube amp designer, who left Brighton some times ago and moved to Paris where he launched branch audion
Small world, europe. The power amps my ME has chosen are Swedish too made by Advantage.

SB
Old 9th February 2010
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
To further explain my post above. I know very well the TB2s go lower than many boxes their size and I do not like subs myself but the pairing would get you very close to a full range system for a fraction of the price. That was my reasoning. I would also help improving the midrage detail.
Just a thought........
Old 11th February 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
been doing lots of reading on these, I think it's time to save up

Size = great for my little room I have for the time being
Bass Response = great for time being, while I save up for a sub

Been offered a great deal on a PMC amp too
Old 13th February 2010
Lives for gear

Do these really hit 40hz nicely?
Old 13th February 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strobian View Post
Do these really hit 40hz nicely?
in a very well treated room, yes they do
amplifier is important too
my solid state amp (quite good hifi) Swedish company Primare
doesn't go down so well
where the tube amp - doesn't have any problems in low range
Old 13th February 2010
Sonic Hooligan

The TB2i's are the hifi version, no? I would suggest speaking with PMC to establish the differences with the studio versions, as im sure there are some beyond the exterior finish alone.
The tweeters look quite different for a start, and im almost certain I read of crossover differences also.
I don't doubt they are great speakers either way though. Im quite pleased with my TB2+'s thumbsup
Old 13th February 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llitsor View Post
The TB2i's are the hifi version, no? I would suggest speaking with PMC to establish the differences with the studio versions, as im sure there are some beyond the exterior finish alone.
The tweeters look quite different for a start, and im almost certain I read of crossover differences also.
I don't doubt they are great speakers either way though. Im quite pleased with my TB2+'s thumbsup
I think the 'i'model is a new model. I got PMC TB2, not S though, same like S, but not black (no racism here) and magnetic shielded. They are hifi PMC version, those 'i' model are different, but I couldn't google'em out
so I don't know...
Old 14th February 2010
Gear nut

The TB2i uses a Seas tweeter (27TFFC), compareable to the one used in Proac Studio 100 and a lower crossoverpoint (2kHz) than the TB2S(+) (3kHz).

With the recent TB2S-A(II) PMC changed the crossover point in the studio line also to 2kHz but kept the oldisch Vifa D27 tweeter.

Overall I would say, the TB2i are a step up.
Old 26th February 2010
Lives for gear

help

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE ADVISE ME

Would there be a noticeable difference between getting 2x PMC TB2M-C+ centre speakers - using them for L/R, and getting a normal pair of Left right (TB2+).

apparently the only difference is that they have some extra shielding and the Tweeter and woofer are much closer together as here:
http://www.pmc-speakers.com/images/p...572b9_tbs2.jpg

what do oyou think???
Old 27th February 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundseeker View Post
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE ADVISE ME

Would there be a noticeable difference between getting 2x PMC TB2M-C+ centre speakers - using them for L/R, and getting a normal pair of Left right (TB2+).

apparently the only difference is that they have some extra shielding and the Tweeter and woofer are much closer together as here:
http://www.pmc-speakers.com/images/p...572b9_tbs2.jpg

what do oyou think???
I think it would not be a smart move, because the directivity of the "center" will be very different to the "normal" version. The "little" superficial differences will have a very great impact on the overall output. Maybe it would work to some extent but I would definetly not recommend it and even then it should be a "mirrored pair" like e.g. ProAc Studio 100 (where the tweeter is on both sided either inside or outside)
Old 27th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphonic View Post
I think it would not be a smart move, because the directivity of the "center" will be very different to the "normal" version. The "little" superficial differences will have a very great impact on the overall output. Maybe it would work to some extent but I would definetly not recommend it and even then it should be a "mirrored pair" like e.g. ProAc Studio 100 (where the tweeter is on both sided either inside or outside)
yeah They are mirrored coz they were used as rear speakers in a 7.1 system
Old 27th February 2010
Gear nut

When you have adedicated left- and right-speaker then it maybe could work. I would then use them as they are meant to be used - horizontal. You could also try to swap the right an the left speakers as a try and compare for better sweet spot.
Old 18th April 2010
Lives for gear

any more comments on the TB2i vs the older TB2+???????????????
Old 24th June 2010
Lives for gear

Bit confused

TB2
TB2+
TB2i
TB2S

What's it all about?
Old 24th June 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJames View Post
Bit confused

TB2
TB2+
TB2i
TB2S

What's it all about?
Hello,

I was "trained on this" which meant I got to listen to expensive speakers, go visit the PMC factory and eat pizza on the company dime, and I still havn't got the official word.

But i means = hifi, it's a more mellow tweeter. Only difference.

The new ones don't have flying mole amps (if you get actives of course) and have the new PMC/Bryston amps. These are marked with a II (as in 2) at the end.
Old 24th June 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
AFAIK S indicates magnetically shielded I believe.
and I think + designates the upgraded tweeter
Old 24th June 2010
Sonic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJames View Post
Bit confused

TB2
TB2+
TB2i
TB2S

What's it all about?
There are more variations beyond those too!
TB2 was the original replacement for the TB1.
TB2+ is an improved version, with better tweeters and crossovers. It is possible to upgrade TB2's to + spec.
TB2i is the hifi version. With fancy polished wood finish, different tweeter, and different crossover specs.
TB2S. S stands for studio, so those are all painted matt black I believe.

If I remember rightly, some also had magnetic shielding(?) so those had an "M" in their name too. I've a feeling they all come with magnetic shielding now though?

Then you have around 3 or more variations of the active models.
I notice the very latest powered versions are reviewed in the current edition of Sound on Sound magazine, if you care to look
Old 15th February 2011
Gear nut

Wiring in a sub and the differences between the TB2 ranges, sonically

Though I'd revisit this thread as I have a few related PMC TB2 questions:

1. How does the TB2i compare sonically with the TB2 and/or the TB2+. I have the TB2 passive (powered by separate Flying Mole DAD M100s), and was toying with upgrading them to TB2+, or if possible/preferable, the newer TB2i spec. (Supposedly the new tweeters on the TB2+ are better than the metal ones on the TB2.)

2. What's the best way to wire a sub in? I have a Definitive Technology ProSub 60. My listening room is c. 4.4m x 4.4m square (argh), but has plenty of acoustic treatment (12 4’x2’ Rockwool panels either 4” or 6” thick). My preamp preamp (with 2 sets of stereo line outputs) feeds my Flying Mole amps into the TB2s, with high quality wiring and interconnects throughout. The ProSub is the weakest/cheapest link in the chain. I have read the ProSub manual - http://www.definitivetech.com/docume...12809_read.pdf
- but still wondered whether I should connect the ProSub at line level from the preamp? Or should I wire the output of the amps into the ProSub,? If I do the latter, is the ProSub effectively passive (i.e. the ProSub would be powered by the Flying Mole amps, rather than its own internal amp)?. I could then either (i) connect the TB2 speakers directly to the amps (might there be impedence issues driving the speakers and the sub simultaneously? Would the line level connection be preferable?) or (ii) connect the TB2 to the speaker outputs of the ProSub. The advantage of the latter would be that it would filter off the bass to the TB2s and so give them more headroom; the disadvantage is that I am concerned that running the audio through the ProSub may degrade the quality of the signal reaching the TB2s.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llitsor View Post
There are more variations beyond those too!
TB2 was the original replacement for the TB1.
TB2+ is an improved version, with better tweeters and crossovers. It is possible to upgrade TB2's to + spec.
TB2i is the hifi version. With fancy polished wood finish, different tweeter, and different crossover specs.
TB2S. S stands for studio, so those are all painted matt black I believe.

If I remember rightly, some also had magnetic shielding(?) so those had an "M" in their name too. I've a feeling they all come with magnetic shielding now though?

Then you have around 3 or more variations of the active models.
I notice the very latest powered versions are reviewed in the current edition of Sound on Sound magazine, if you care to look
Old 15th February 2011
Lives for gear

I have pair, they are great. Driving them with BK Audio MXF400's fed from a Benchmark DAC. They are a bit better than the originals, but the TBs and TB+'s are still cracking speakers. How good is the deal btw?
Old 15th February 2011
Gear nut

Thanks. I'm not the OP (suspect the deal on offer there has long passed... or been accepted), but I got a cracking deal on mine (s/h off Ebay) a few years back.
Old 15th February 2011
Lives for gear

TB2 and bryston power pacs 120w here.

Have had 'TBs' since late 90's I keep trying to find something nearfield to replace them with and just never have managed to find another speaker that fits me as well as these do.

As for the low end response lets put it this way , first question out of the mouths of anyone who hears these relatively small boxes in my room is 'wheres the sub'

I dont have one.

Love these speakers ,

Gareth
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search