Login / Register

PMC TB2i , experiences?
New Reply
Subscribe
16th February 2011
Old 16th February 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

for mastering you'd probably be better with the TB2i providing you have an LCD/TFT monitor for the computer.

The S / S+ have a tougher tweeter in them which makes them better for control room use where they may be subject to sudden sounds that wouldn't be expected on a finished CD, and might damage the more delicate tweeter in the TB2i.

That was the guidance I was given at PMC. I have DB1S+ with a Bryston 2BLP
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Gear maniac

Pmc tb2i with Dared dv6c tube amp?

Hi,
Im about to get the tb2i, has anyone tried them with the Dared dv6c tube amp?
It's 65W per channel, with peak around 110W.
Im thinking of replacing the 3 tubes with TAD ecc803s premium selected tubes.
Any thoughts?
Cheers
Rick Dangerous
CharlesCola
Verified Member
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Gear addict

Verified Member

Last edited by CharlesCola; 8th March 2013 at 10:14 PM..
Ruairi
Verified Member
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesCola View Post
My experience - lifeless, soulless, clinical - the transmission line design is a great piece of engineering & quite clever application of physics but not an organic enough design aesthetic that results in a loudspeaker capable of making proper adjustments to music - especially any with human vocal - or any other sound deriving from an Earth Borne Animal for that matter.
Hi Charles,

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience with the PMCs, can I ask what models you heard? Writing off the entire concept of transmission lines is a pretty broad move. I'll spare you the list of high profile users that clearly disagree with your assessment regarding suitability for acoustic and organic music.

I'm with PMC on the U.S. side but if there's anything I can do to help with your TB2 questions please PM me.

All the best,
Ruairi
PMC USA
SASMastering
Verified Member
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
My experience - lifeless, soulless, clinical & sterile- the transmission line design is a great piece of engineering & quite clever application of physics but not an organic enough design aesthetic that results in a loudspeaker capable of making proper adjustments to music - especially any with human vocal - or any other sound deriving from an Earth Borne Animal for that matter.

They reproduce digitally generated audio signals well however.
Not organic enough ? Analogue signals not reproduced well enough? Seems somewhat misinformed.

Quote:
IME PMC customer service was poor & elitist - trying to obtain a "+" upgrade for a pair of TB2's was like trying to extract blood from a stone.
Complete opposite to my experience. Friendly, knowledgeable and know what they are talking about.

Quote:
B&W's approach to speaker design is much, much better IMHO as is their revision/upgrade deployment I.E. They release their product when it is at the highest standard they can achieve with the r&d/resources available to them at the time & only release a completely revised & substantially improved version after many years of refining the original design concept. (The last paragraph applies to their flagship model BTW). This approach saves all parties involved from wasting resources.
Is there any sensible reason why you compare B&W top of the line model in a thread about a relatively budget model of PMC speaker ? FWIW my investment in PMC monitors is one of the best purchases I have made.

Barry Gardner
SafeandSound online mastering
Mastering audio examples
Highly experienced, low rates, high end analogue. Manley Massive Passive (hardware), PMC IB1S, Summit Audio DCL-200, Vari Mu compressor, Sontec style custom analogue EQ, Benchmark DAC1 (HDR), Large client list and Biog.Visit site for lots of great information on audio mastering.
Red Mastering
Verified Member
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
My experience - lifeless, soulless, clinical & sterile- the transmission line design is a great piece of engineering & quite clever application of physics but not an organic enough design aesthetic that results in a loudspeaker capable of making proper adjustments to music - especially any with human vocal - or any other sound deriving from an Earth Borne Animal for that matter.

IME PMC customer service was poor & elitist - trying to obtain a "+" upgrade for a pair of TB2's was like trying to extract blood from a stone.

B&W's approach to speaker design is much, much better IMHO as is their revision/upgrade deployment I.E. They release their product when it is at the highest standard they can achieve with the r&d/resources available to them at the time & only release a completely revised & substantially improved version after many years of refining the original design concept. (The last paragraph applies to their flagship model BTW). This approach saves all parties involved from wasting resources.
I am myself long time user of PMC monitors,
I can not agree with your statement, as my feelings are very opposite
I found PMC TB2 and PMC IB1 (which I own currently) amazing monitors for the price (below 10000$), great depth, massive sound-stage and details, beautiful mid bass, not to often to find in this price range.

as for PMC customer service, I would like to say for that time and very recently I had several contacts with PMC and all I can say, that they are super professional, very helpful, and also monitors-loving folks !
which is very important,
sorry to hear that, but as I had such opposite experience, I thought I will share it here
I don't have experience with B&W service, all I can say their 'budget' line sounds terrible ( I liked Nautilus though but it's just my opinion and I know other folks use them and like them...
so gustibus no disputandum est...

CharlesCola
Verified Member
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Gear addict

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SASMastering View Post
Seems somewhat misinformed.
au contraire
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

===> A Laughable Posting

I was fortunate enough to get to implement a big ass PMC monitor set up at our room. Bryston amps. An incredible speaker system

Already used and tried out all others for decades. Various B&W 801 models used for many decades. Not providing the detail offered by PMC.

Now I am happy to say we use the best.

EARS-Chicago, Engineering And Recording Society

http://www.ears-chicago.org/
Deaf before Dishonor

http://soundcloud.com/hudson-fair
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Lives for gear

Ruairi
Verified Member
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
At the risk of sounding spammy I would encourage anyone who was interested in the TB2 variants to check out the new twotwo series, they will be hitting the streets early next week. They really are a huge leap forward for PMC in the affordable nearfield game.
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Gear maniac

Interesting.
But has anyone tried the TB2s on a budget tube amp such as the Dared DV6C, or even on a budget amp of any kind?
Thanks
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Lives for gear

I have used my TB2i with an emotiva amp and they sounded great, but I recently changed and built a pair of hypex nCore 400 mono blocks amp the difference was not subtle. I am assuming you already own the amp mentioned? If not I would be looking a building a pair of hypex ucd 400 (or even 180) based amps if you are on a budget.

I am sure you will enjoy the PMCs either way, and once you have lived with a setup for a while, you will then notice the real difference when you get the opportunity to try out a different amp.
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Gear nut

I recently bought a pair of TB2S and built a Hypex UcD180HG stereo amp (check the Hypex amp thread for pics). Very good combo and highly recommended for low budget.
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear maniac

I bought the tb2i today. Tested with seller on Classé Audio power amp & mp3 player, and then modded Philips CD723 CD player.
Mp3 player had no bass whatsoever.
CD player was fantastic.
But overall, there and elsewhere, very hard to place the speakers for good tone, bass had less oompph than my 5" active JBLs worth 5 times less.
A good amp match and excellent source plus excellent room are indispensable.
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear nut

I think you may need more experimentation with your placement. In my room the tb2s have a much more clean and powerful low end than my previous Yamaha hs80's. I have mine sitting quite close to the front wall but have 4" bass traps right behind them.
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strut78 View Post
I have used my TB2i with an emotiva amp and they sounded great, but I recently changed and built a pair of hypex nCore 400 mono blocks amp the difference was not subtle. I am assuming you already own the amp mentioned? If not I would be looking a building a pair of hypex ucd 400 (or even 180) based amps if you are on a budget.

I am sure you will enjoy the PMCs either way, and once you have lived with a setup for a while, you will then notice the real difference when you get the opportunity to try out a different amp.
Which Emotiva amp were you using? I was considering one of those for the tb2+ I'm hoping to pick up.

Sent from my PG86100
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by solveforq View Post
Which Emotiva amp were you using? I was considering one of those for the tb2+ I'm hoping to pick up.

Sent from my PG86100
I was using the XPA 2 which is the biggest stereo amp they sell. It now runs my avantones which is way over the top for avantones, but these speakers actually sound really great with the emotiva.

With that said, if something went down with my hypex amps, I could easily I switch back to the emotiva and happily continue the session. The emotiva amps are really good especially considering the price, but as always, it is a matter of matching the amp to the speakers.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search