EQ with M/S
New Reply
Subscribe
PrinsJan
14th September 2009
Old 14th September 2009
Gear maniac

EQ with M/S

Try to use the search funtion, but it wasn't able to search for "ms", it was too short

Try to find a EQ plug-in with M/S built in (for Mac), can somebody help me please ?

Many thanx
73*
14th September 2009
Old 14th September 2009
73*
Gear maniac

Whitecat
Verified Member
14th September 2009
Old 14th September 2009
GS Community Manager

Verified Member
kjg
14th September 2009
Old 14th September 2009
kjg
Lives for gear

14th September 2009
Old 14th September 2009
Gear nut

PrinsJan
14th September 2009
Old 14th September 2009
Gear maniac

Lagerfeldt
Verified Member
14th September 2009
Old 14th September 2009
Audio Alchemist

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinsJan View Post
Try to use the search funtion, but it wasn't able to search for "ms", it was too short

Try to find a EQ plug-in with M/S built in (for Mac), can somebody help me please ?

Many thanx
Flux Epure II

Send me a PM if you get it.
pmx
Verified Member
14th September 2009
Old 14th September 2009
pmx
Mastering Engineer

Verified Member
jan, you're not using protools, right? if you do try the massey matrix: not within one plug with an eq, but great for workflow...
14th September 2009
Old 14th September 2009
Lives for gear

PrinsJan
15th September 2009
Old 15th September 2009
Gear maniac

15th September 2009
Old 15th September 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
I read it, but i don't get it You ??
have you changed the internal routing to mid side stereo?
15th September 2009
Old 15th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I read it, but i don't get it You ??
honestly: NO!!!! that's why i never use that damn thing..hahahaa!
not every thing has to be super simple..but please....not like this!

you should try the DDMF...it does a great job (there's also a linear phase EQ)
and best part is: pay as much as you want!! (minimum 0.50$)
73*
15th September 2009
Old 15th September 2009
73*
Gear maniac

There is some presets with the M/S routing already done... That's all I've bothered using, because I didn't really get the routing thing either.
15th September 2009
Old 15th September 2009
Gear nut

guys, just select mid side stereo under the routing presets and you are done, it´s not that hard.
i never used that plugin before but it took me 10 sec. to figure this out without even a manual...
Lagerfeldt
Verified Member
15th September 2009
Old 15th September 2009
Audio Alchemist

Verified Member

Setup Flux Epure for M/S
1) Press the Setup button below the Master Gain
2) Press the orange MS button in the Input Routing matrix (picture left)
3) Press the orange MS button in the Output Routing matrix (picture right)
4) Press the yellow Group 1 and 2 buttons in the Group matrix (picture middle)

Now there will be two group buttons (1 & 2) at the top of the equalizer. Group 1 represents the Mid signal, and Group 2 represents the Side signal.

Switch between the two groups to equalize the mid or side signal respectively. You can press the group solo button to listen to each group alone.

Online Mastering.dk

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
15th September 2009
Old 15th September 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Wow thats pretty cool Lagerfeldt! I never thought epure had such option. Do you find that useful when mixing?
15th September 2009
Old 15th September 2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post

Absolutely banging.
Lagerfeldt
Verified Member
16th September 2009
Old 16th September 2009
Audio Alchemist

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooker View Post
Wow thats pretty cool Lagerfeldt! I never thought epure had such option. Do you find that useful when mixing?
I hardly ever use M/S EQ when mixing, but it does come in handy once in a while when mastering.
Ivo
16th September 2009
Old 16th September 2009
Ivo
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmx View Post
jan, you're not using protools, right? if you do try the massey matrix: not within one plug with an eq, but great for workflow...
Sorry to hijack the thread but: where can I find the Massey Matrix? Didn't see it on masseyplugins.com... It sounds like it's a a MS decoder - other plugin - MS encoder setup, that would be really cool.

I'd like to have a different M-S encoder anyway, one that allows me to set the M vs S level in the encoder so I can put it straight onto a (MS recorded) stereo track in PT and still set the levels. Now I either set-up a traditional 3-track MS mixer or I use Waves S1 Imager MS matrix which just does MS, this requires me to have M and S track on seperate mono channels, bus them into an aux object and do the MS encoding there. Should be an easier way.

cheers,

Ivo W.
pmx
Verified Member
16th September 2009
Old 16th September 2009
pmx
Mastering Engineer

Verified Member
16th September 2009
Old 16th September 2009
Lives for gear

While we're at it, you also wanna check apulSoft , a very good surgical EQ with lots of options at a very fair price (given the features).

(Click on the sig pic to listen to Mud & Grace or go to www.napoleonwashington.com)
16th September 2009
Old 16th September 2009
Lives for gear

Lagerfeldt, thanks for the insightful time on the M/S matrix for the FLUX, I'm going to demo these after my next production is completed. This could be very very handy on future occasions.

I've always taken your opinions in the highest regard on this board. Your very much into the Flux brand of products for compression and EQ in general for software???

Honestly my respect started a couple of years ago when you where the only other one on the board that heard the 'broken glass' effect of the L3. You spoke highly of the Sonalksis and I was sold on them after I grabbed the demo and the SSL presets you made..

So now its FLUX eh?

Any personal recommendations for your mastering work flow with the FLUX stuff for mastering? What about mix down?
Lagerfeldt
Verified Member
16th September 2009
Old 16th September 2009
Audio Alchemist

Verified Member
Quote:
I've always taken your opinions in the highest regard on this board. Your very much into the Flux brand of products for compression and EQ in general for software???
Thank you!

I like the Flux plug-ins because they offer flexibility and they sound great. While I mostly use hardware, I use it in combination with digital processing such as the Flux plug-ins.

The Solera offers unparalleled flexible (some would say advanced) dynamic processing, which enables me to do things I can't do in other compressors. The Epure is simply a standard minimum phase equalizer but it has M/S functionality and other interface features which I find suits my workflow well. The Limiter has the ability to control a sidechain filter for the release (envelope), has a good interface, and sounds great.

Quote:
Honestly my respect started a couple of years ago when you where the only other one on the board that heard the 'broken glass' effect of the L3. You spoke highly of the Sonalksis and I was sold on them after I grabbed the demo and the SSL presets you made..

So now its FLUX eh?
Since digital technology is constantly evolving I use whatever I find is best at the moment (for me).

I generally stay clear of emulation type plug-ins for mastering since I find the real deal almost always sound better. I use digital for the things that digital does best.

I own plug-ins from almost all brands, such as Waves, Sonalksis, Sonnox Oxford, and Flux. I still use Waves plug-ins when mixing, but they don't see a lot of use in my mastering workflow anymore.

Quote:
Any personal recommendations for your mastering work flow with the FLUX stuff for mastering? What about mix down?
I'm not sure what you would like to know about the mixdown? I have a lot of tips on using the Flux plug-ins but that's another story. Flux has asked if I would like to do some video tips for their plug-ins, which I probably will do in the next couple of months or so. Just for the record, I'm not affiliated with Flux or Sonalksis or any other developer (no money is involved) but I like to get involved in the tools I use daily, and we ping-pong ideas and tests.
16th September 2009
Old 16th September 2009
Lives for gear

i agree. mr. lagerfeldt made a very competent impression (it's only the high quality photos of course haha!)
since i bumped into GS last year (before signing up). and if i'll be in CPH again
(one of my labels is based there "tic tac toe records"), and have enough time and maybe
a few € left to give your school a one-time visit, if available ;-P

i'm sure that flux is darn great, just can't spend that extra cash on expensive plugins like that right now.
so i gotta stick with my DDMF or the T-Racks linear phase when it's about M/S and actually they
serve me quiet good..so..whatever
17th September 2009
Old 17th September 2009
Gear maniac

I' d recommend the Sonoris eq, which has a much simpler way of setting up the M/S matrix than Epure.

IMO, the Sonoris eq also sounds better than Epure especially in the low end, not to mention that it costs less than half the price.

I'd go Algorithmix if you have the cash and are on PC.
21st September 2009
Old 21st September 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundam View Post
I' d recommend the Sonoris eq, which has a much simpler way of setting up the M/S matrix than Epure.

IMO, the Sonoris eq also sounds better than Epure especially in the low end, not to mention that it costs less than half the price.

I'd go Algorithmix if you have the cash and are on PC.
Sonoris here too! And another very usefull option is that you can "solo" left channel, right channel, mid or side with one click!
And toggling these modes for each EQ-band is the best way to use m/s for an EQ imho
24th September 2009
Old 24th September 2009
Gear Head

PSP Neon - but I'm sure your sequencer of choice has an MS Plugin built in (like logic's direction mixer). And since decoding MS is exactly the same procedure as encoding it, you can use your favorite eq in MS mode with tiny bit of mixer routing.

hth, christoph
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search