Obi T-Racks 3 Deluxe Review
New Reply
Subscribe
Obitheincredible
7th July 2009
Old 7th July 2009
Lives for gear

Obi T-Racks 3 Deluxe Review

Well after a lot of hours digging in I thought I'd give you guys a update!

I started Just getting started. Free plugs? that thread to get my feet wet but after getting T-Racks I thought I'd post my findings...

T-Racks 3 Deluxe Review

T-Racks has been around for about as long if not longer than a lot of DAW's. It has been synonymous with quality, professionalism and the choice of top pros. Now lets take a step back. IK Multimedia. Creaters of Amplitube, Ampeg SVX and the newest Amplitube Fender. Each one of these have their places in top studios across the world. Well IK Multimedia is known for their knack to model analogue gear to the T, I mean right down to the little things that make a piece of gear special and quit honestly their one of the best to ever do it. Now they have just released the third generation of T-Racks and wow, they have outdone themselves. I have used a few plug ins in my time but these are special. The T-Racks 3 Deluxe is the 4 classic tools found in the last generation of T-Racks with the addition of 5 new plug ins, 2 of which are revered and favored among the engineering world. The Fairchild and the Pultec. Both favored for their classic color and saturation both present. In the following we will break each plug in down AND figure out how to use them to compliment your tracks!

First we will look at the classic T-Racks processors and figure out just why they are so loved! There are 4 modules in the classic part of T-Racks. T-Racks Equalizer is a 6 band equalizer that can work in both L/R modes but also can be used in Mid Side which is great for eqing that stereo signal! (We will cover this a bit more later.) This EQ has been a go to for many engineers for a reason! The T-Racks Compressor is a versatile compressor with a stereo enhancement that can help widen your mixes. The T-Racks Multiband Limiter that can help compress your mixes in a more precise manner. A lot of times if you use a basic compressor but the low end is out of hand it can ruin your whole mix by compressing more than it should and make the song song "off". With a Multiband limiter it is much like having multiple compressors for a specific frequncy range. So on that same low end problematic mix you can have separate settings for the lows, mids and highs and make the mix sound a bit more balanced! Then there is the T-Racks Soft Clipper. You use the Soft-clipping stage to create warm, saturated mastering effects. It can also help in adding gain to your mixes!

Next we will get into these new plug ins a bit more in depth as they are new. Up is the T-Racks Brickwall Limiter. This is easily one of the most transparent limiters I have heard, BUT it also has a selectable style. Now on clean it can add Gobs and gobs of gain without squashing your sound to death. (magnetic, if you get my drift) The other styles it has are Advanced 1 thru 4, Clip, and Sat 1,2 and 3. Each of these can affect how the limiter works, It can work cleanly or a bit dirtier. Maybe some saturation for that analogue feel. Either way they all sound great but my favorite is the more modern clean setting. Now you usually use this at the end of the chain to prevent any clipping so you can set it to limit the volume to zero or -.05 to make sure there is no clipping. It limits the sound from going over a certain level that can be set by you. It also has attack and release times to precisely set it up to the song your mastering.

The T-Racks Vintage Equalizer EQP-1A is modeled after the famed Pultec EQP-1. Now this EQ is far from accurate. If you want accuracy you should use the T-Racks Equalizer or the T-Racks Linear Phase Equalizer, BUT if you want mojo, thickness, sheen and flavor THIS IS THE EQ TO HAVE! This is the real deal. Easily one of the best things you can add to add color without compressing. You can add a bit of lowend and highs and get a great solid sound on just about any source! Best part even if you dont have any changes to the eq but just have it in the chain it imparts a sonic character to it that sounds sweet and thick but not overly present or hurting the source signal! This EQ, like the T-Racks Equalizer can also be used in both L/R and Mid Side.

The T-Racks Linear Phase Equalizer is as precise as they come. This is the EQ you want when you have surgery to do. This is that precise! Much like the other 2 EQ's that T-Racks has to offer it works in L/R, Mid Side and has 6 bands. Sounds familiar right? Wrong. First of all each of the 6 bands can be configured to work as a high pass, low shelving, peaking, high shelving or low pass, this makes this VERY FLEXIBLE! Linear Phase Equalization in and of it self is a very clean, transparent and precise eq so this is again another go-to to fix, enhance or just try out new things WITHOUT it sounding "EQ'd".

The T-Racks Vintage Compressor Model 670 is a God send. No lie. I have used a few Fairchild 670 compressors before but haven't really liked some of the wierd lowend that has presented itself in some of the mixes. Well this is the best modeled Fairchild I have yet to hear. Now if you haven't heard a Fairchild, well trust me you have. Period. This is the "Holy grail" for compressors. So many people have tried to model this, and many times we have been happy....to an extent. Then along comes IK Multimedia and says "BAM! Here you go Obi, take this and create the best mixes you have ever made!". This works in both L/R and Mid Side. This is my new favorite plug in! It sounds great on just about anything! Now with this plug in we will go in and tackle the Mid Side thing a bit. Now we are only touching base so you understand the basics. With Mid Side (or Lat Vert as it appears on the plug in) you can take the stereo field and compress JUST that and leave the Mid (Middle part of the stereo signal) and compress that separate. So take a drum loop for instance. You can raise the input gain on say the Side and it will make the room and stereo width sound much bigger and wider. now if you crank the Mid you get a more solid sounding kick and snare. This can help you really bring life to mixes! Another great feature about it is you can unlink it and compress the left and right independently and have both sides set a bit different to create interesting mixes!

The T-Racks Opto Compressor isn't modeled after anything really. From what Obi's Intel has gathered it is a "What I would want in the perfect Opto Comp" type of plug in. Basically it's not modeled after any precise piece of gear, but it's modeled after real circuit portions, parts and stages. That is part of the secret that helps make this amazing compressor keep total respect of the incoming signal and gives absolute transparency. It's the purest, most transparent yet musical compressor. Now much like the other plug ins in this bundle, L/R, Mid/Side and linkable. The best way to describe this particular compressor is well you can't really. Its transparent as can be. You don't really hear it, which is a great thing! Perfect for adding some sweetness or less apparent compression. Now just to show you the versatility of these plugs you can crank it for that popular "pumping" effect that some people love but when used at even semi high compression levels it is pretty transparent. It is perfect for just about anything. Vocals were the first thing I tried it on. I had it on the vocal folder in Reaper and it helped glue all the parts together without it being noticed at all!

Now to really get down and dirty I am even going to go in depth on the 10th plug in. Now I know I said in the beginning there were 4 classic modules and 5 new ones. "But Obi that makes 9! How can there be 10!?", listen they packed this thing tight with features! They included a full blown metering suite! Now on most metering software or even mixers there are a few standards: Peak and RMS and on some consoles Phase! Great good for you, but IK Multimedia and T-Racks really wanted to leave a impression! Along with a spectrum meter they included a perceived loudness meter! Not only that but each and every one of these are configurable. For example, the spectum can be adjusted to react slower or faster, the peak can be set and -90 to 0 db for a full view, 60 to 0 db for a zoomed in view or a 50 to +5 db for a very precise view! Even better is even the perceived loudness meter can be set to a specific genre so you can compare to the perceived loudness on average that the particular genre has and gives you a idea of where to head for loudness!

Now I have saved the best thing for last, EVERY one of these can be used INDEPENDENTLY as separate plug ins and on individual tracks! You can add some of that Vintage Compressor Model 670 flavor to your drums, the Linear Phase Equalizer on your acoustic, the Opto Compressor = on those vocals and leave the Metering plug in on the master buss to help you with your levels and spectral balance! This is the best thing you can get for 500! I mean 10 plug ins for 500!? Seriously? Of this quality? Yep. Plus if you don't want the whole suite say you just want the Vintage Compressor Model 670 or the Vintage Equalizer EQP-1A you can purchase each one for $99! I personally recommend getting the budle not only to save money but to have some of the best tools for audio at your fingers! It has been said that today you can spend a few thousand and rival big studios but companies like IK Multimedia is making this more and more of a reality with each release! They have outdone themselves with the newest addition to the T-Racks family with T-Racks 3 Deluxe!
7th July 2009
Old 7th July 2009
Lives for gear

idk I have been using these for a few days and I love these plugs. easily some of my favorites!
EDF
8th July 2009
Old 8th July 2009
EDF
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to EDF Send a message via MSN to EDF Send a message via Yahoo to EDF Send a message via Skype™ to EDF
Are you going to use them now as your primary mastering plugins?
FBM
8th July 2009
Old 8th July 2009
FBM
Gear addict

Nice review!!! But not accurate about the past.
T-Racks is not known for their excellent mastering plug ins in the past. And no pro was using it! Some pro┬┤s did try it in a commercial but not for real!!! Very good marketing I believed it at the time!
I was one of the first users of the T-Racks "Mastering Suite". And never got such a bad results as with T-Racks. The "Clipper" is only good for one thing "CLIPPING!". The total results are a joke. Take a look at your audio file after mastering with the old T-Racks. You will notice squashed waves and hear a terrible sound. And I am talking about very moderate settings! The single plug ins compressor and eq are oke, but I paid almost 500 DM at the time so it was a waste of money!!!
They learned from the past and created a totally new concept.
Only a pity that the old day users are left with a inferior product.
And now I stick with Waves and Universal Audio for mastering!!!!!!!!!!!
David
8th July 2009
Old 8th July 2009
Gear interested

T-RackS 3, great stuff

Not too concerned about IK's past, more concerned about what IK Multimedia is doing now. T-RackS 3 is great stuff imo. I don't think IT or any software can exactly replicate what outboard gear does. Yet, I think there are some very cool plugins coming out by IK Multimedia and Waves (I use both). Both are excellent. I still love outboard gear and prefer outboard gear for tracking things right initially. Nevertheless, I've been enjoying using T-RackS 3 and Ozone 4 to put finishing touches on mixes.

Last edited by engineer66; 8th July 2009 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: simplified reply
8th July 2009
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Forget the past IK shows that they can do also good things, like the Classic Studio Reverb.

I found T-Racks3 very nice. But I own the UAD and so always the "same" plugins and it makes not much sense to have them twice. But the emulations from T-Racks3 are more complete, you can see this with an analyzer that the Pultec and Fairchild also adding additional harmonics! But besides measurements you hear this.
The T-Racks3 Pultec and also the Fairchild adds more saturation and sounds thicker.

I found 3 plugins very interesting:
- Pultec
- Fairchild (nice, but I'm not a big fan of the Fairchild)
- Opto Comp (more settings, I get often better results as with the UAD LA-2A)

And the best: No dongle and the trials are for 10 days, so everybody can test it.

Frank Arnold
Musician and IT Freelancer

| | |
| |
Obitheincredible
8th July 2009
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

Well I'm not a mastering engineer I'm just trying to get into it I still have ro master the mixing part first ! But I like to dabble and hopefully in 10 or so years I can get into that! I love these plugs! Specifically the 5 new ones. Theyre all great and I get better CPU processing when I use them as just plugins in Reaper than I do in the standalone or the full T-Racks module in Reaper. Oh well I love the analyzer too. Good stuff for sure. I'm glad I got these! The fairchild really opened my eyes! Great stuff!!!
8th July 2009
Old 8th July 2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4damind View Post
Forget the past IK shows that they can do also good things, like the Classic Studio Reverb.

I found T-Racks3 very nice. But I own the UAD and so always the "same" plugins and it makes not much sense to have them twice. But the emulations from T-Racks3 are more complete, you can see this with an analyzer that the Pultec and Fairchild also adding additional harmonics! But besides measurements you hear this.
The T-Racks3 Pultec and also the Fairchild adds more saturation and sounds thicker.

I found 3 plugins very interesting:
- Pultec
- Fairchild (nice, but I'm not a big fan of the Fairchild)
- Opto Comp (more settings, I get often better results as with the UAD LA-2A)

And the best: No dongle and the trials are for 10 days, so everybody can test it.

I prefer the opto than the actual la2a, but it sounds completely different.
8th July 2009
Old 8th July 2009
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

the limiters sound like crap, there are much betters, like crysoniq, stillwell EH Pro, Voxengo, kjaerhusaudio, izotope ozone.

the clipper sounds nice, source material dependant.

the RMS & Peak meters are amazing, but the scope and freq. analizer are smal & limited.
izotope ozone, RME and others are much better.

the tube EQ sounds verry tube, that sometimes is nice, sometimes dont, is verry source material dependant, much better sound than T-Racks EQv2 but Q shape are verry limited/small, sometimes useless.

the linear phase its ok, but STW EQV1-LP is much better.

the yellow compressor is the most transparent compressor, but a bit limited.
sounds a bit too round, nothing is perfect.

the new plugins are nice, but diferent serial number pultec & fairchilds sound diferent.
14th August 2009
Old 14th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by space2012 View Post
the limiters sound like crap, there are much betters, like crysoniq, stillwell EH Pro, Voxengo, kjaerhusaudio, izotope ozone.

the clipper sounds nice, source material dependant.

the RMS & Peak meters are amazing, but the scope and freq. analizer are smal & limited.
izotope ozone, RME and others are much better.

the tube EQ sounds verry tube, that sometimes is nice, sometimes dont, is verry source material dependant, much better sound than T-Racks EQv2 but Q shape are verry limited/small, sometimes useless.

the linear phase its ok, but STW EQV1-LP is much better.

the yellow compressor is the most transparent compressor, but a bit limited.
sounds a bit too round, nothing is perfect.

the new plugins are nice, but diferent serial number pultec & fairchilds sound diferent.
so often you recommend that STW EQV1-LP??? i took a look at it and NO MATTER HOW GOOD that thing might sound i would never ever attempt to use this thing. it looks like the graphic designer has created that thing in 1993! hahahahaaa!

Obitheincredible
15th August 2009
Old 15th August 2009
Lives for gear

Thats a bit close minded. There are tons of things from 1993 I would still use.
15th August 2009
Old 15th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obitheincredible View Post
Thats a bit close minded. There are tons of things from 1993 I would still use.
also paying 700$ while there's surely similar ones for way less money with a nicer GUI? surely the GUI isn't everything but even if it sounds great (can't tell or demo since it's pc only) but that thing...come oooooon

btw: nice detailed review and i love t-racks 3 alot!
5th September 2009
Old 5th September 2009
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to kheftel Send a message via Yahoo to kheftel
Thanks for the review. I just got 6 of their singles plugins for $100. Nice deal!

Utah Recording Studio
"Life without music is a journey through the desert."
Table Of Tone
Verified Member
5th September 2009
Old 5th September 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
The classic clipper actually got me out of scrape a few years ago.

It's definitely not junk and if used in the right way, will wipe the floor with pretty much any lookahead limiter that doesn't have extra (outside) DSP help!
It will actually work when used on the input of the capture DAW, after a mastering AD converter!
Very little else will!
You will hear them suck as soon as you switch them on!

This is coming from someone who doesn't actually like or normally use plugins!
5th September 2009
Old 5th September 2009
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to kheftel Send a message via Yahoo to kheftel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Of Tone View Post
The classic clipper actually got me out of scrape a few years ago.
How's that? Sounds like a good story!
Table Of Tone
Verified Member
5th September 2009
Old 5th September 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kheftel View Post
How's that? Sounds like a good story!
I think it's mentioned in another T- Racks post so I wouldn't wanna repeat myself.
7th February 2011
Old 7th February 2011
Gear interested

T-racks is a great ITB software for mastering.
17th May 2011
Old 17th May 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBM View Post
N
They learned from the past and created a totally new concept.
Only a pity that the old day users are left with a inferior product.
And now I stick with Waves and Universal Audio for mastering!!!!!!!!!!!
David
I would hardly say inferior product. I'm sure it was the best they could do at the time. Now they have done something better. If a company DOESN"T improve then they aren't going to be around too long.

For what it's worth I thought early t-racks plugs were pretty decent. Especially for the time period. (1999). This new series (from a few hrs of demoing) sound damn good.

If I could start and finish a mastering session in it, I'd be all over it.

-werd
17th May 2011
Old 17th May 2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Tempest> View Post
I would hardly say inferior product. I'm sure it was the best they could do at the time. Now they have done something better. If a company DOESN"T improve then they aren't going to be around too long.

For what it's worth I thought early t-racks plugs were pretty decent. Especially for the time period. (1999). This new series (from a few hrs of demoing) sound damn good.

If I could start and finish a mastering session in it, I'd be all over it.

-werd
Thanks! I work for IK now cool huh? And wait til you see what we have with our new 64 bit update for T-Racks coming up....
18th May 2011
Old 18th May 2011
Lives for gear

@ObiK - long-time IK customer here and SUPER fan of T-Racks Deluxe... Care to shed any light on upcoming enhancements or possible release windows for T-Racks' upgrade? Is it just 64-bit compatibility or are there extras planned?

(btw Amplitube 3 is a new high-bar for both modeled sound AND business models, w/ the pay-per-module ability built in... pass along to your company that at least ONE dude in GA isn't whining about what they're doing!!! lol)

Blessings,
Matt
19th May 2011
Old 19th May 2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhorsie777 View Post
@ObiK - long-time IK customer here and SUPER fan of T-Racks Deluxe... Care to shed any light on upcoming enhancements or possible release windows for T-Racks' upgrade? Is it just 64-bit compatibility or are there extras planned?

(btw Amplitube 3 is a new high-bar for both modeled sound AND business models, w/ the pay-per-module ability built in... pass along to your company that at least ONE dude in GA isn't whining about what they're doing!!! lol)

Blessings,
Matt
I would love to but we have to keep things under wraps...

Glad your loving AmpliTube 3! We have tons more surprises coming!
8th July 2011
Old 8th July 2011
Gear maniac

Whats the difference between the brickwall limiter in clip or sat mode compared to the classic clipper?? And also do you use the clipper before or after limiting?
lu432
Verified Member
8th July 2011
Old 8th July 2011

Verified Member
So how under budget and pushed for deadlines was the programmer this time?? Cause the stuff you guys have been pumping out, I have been pro actively promoting against. To be honest no self respecting producer, engineer, or mastering engineer should ever use your stuff (And if they do they are just looking for an endorsement to market themselves). There is a world of better quality plugs, gear, and software available for use, at even more reasonable price points. I could run a full facility with just NI, digidesign, and the stuff by Frederik Slijkerman. You may have written a very pretty article, but I'm sorry the IK Line is pretty garbage stuff. Maybe when they pay their people better, yield better quality products that are innovative and unique, not copy cats of other companies with limited budgets I might be impressed. I have to say I have also not been very impressed with the presentations that they have done or the people they have sent to present. The guy that came to present your mastering software at the audio school in Miami didn't know a single thing about mastering, his own product line, and even talked poorly about his own product line. What kind of presenter does that???

I hope people stay clear of you guys until you drastically improve your product line.
bobsandifer
Verified Member
8th July 2011
Old 8th July 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Send a message via AIM to bobsandifer
So lu432,
Im just wondering how you know so much about IK's finances and production policies? And......your website is tits up.
The 4th Ward Atlanta Ga.
lu432
Verified Member
8th July 2011
Old 8th July 2011

Verified Member
Unlike IK I would rather wait until my room is done being designed propperly by my Acoustician (JH Brandt) then to deliver a half completed product. Unlike some other companies....

So I would rather have a blank site while I choose a web desiger that doesn't disappear on me or deliver work like he just got his certification from W3 yesterday.

Also unlike IK I pay full price for work... I don't cheap skate the people that are going to do work for me....
8th July 2011
Old 8th July 2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gritzildino View Post
Whats the difference between the brickwall limiter in clip or sat mode compared to the classic clipper?? And also do you use the clipper before or after limiting?
Both the Brickwall Limiter and the Clipper bring different sounding flavors to your tracks.

Personally I use a clipper instead of a limiter. Sounds great on individual tracks like bass, drums or even vocals.
bobsandifer
Verified Member
8th July 2011
Old 8th July 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Send a message via AIM to bobsandifer
Quote:
Originally Posted by lu432 View Post
So I would rather have a blank site while I choose a web desiger that doesn't disappear on me or deliver work like he just got his certification from W3 yesterday. Also unlike IK I pay full price for work... I don't cheap skate the people that are going to do work for me....
First off I was just making sure you knew your site was down.

So here we go again. How do you know so much about IK's business practices? I really dont care what other people think of a product so my decision to buy something isnt based on anyones reviews. However, for your argument to even be taken seriously you have to be able to justify what you are accusing them of doing. If not its just some random rant from another person that randomly rants. See what I mean? I can tell you are serious about your dislike of IK but gives us the whole story. I'm honestly curious.

I use their products every day and they are on many commercial releases I have done over the past year. The record labels and producers have never complained and the checks always cash. I usually do not master any of my major label work but I have used the standalone suite on quiet a few indie releases. I really wish I could insert other manufacturers plugins into the slots but maybe Im asking for too much. BTW. IF someone here just really hates them, and owns the 2 new plugins, I will be more than willing to take them off your hands.

lu432, fill us in. You brought it up so throw it out. Also.....just put up a white default page with your company name on it. That would look much better since the URL is in your signature. Im not being a smart-ass. Im just trying to help.
Riccardo
Verified Member
8th July 2011
Old 8th July 2011
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Guys and girls coul we please keep this good mannered?
I am sure both appreciations as well as constructive criticism conveyed in a non aggressive way would benefit both the companies as well as the customers in the long run.

"Can you imagine how great the Beatles or Pink Floyd could have sounded if they had used better cables?

I expect a Nobel prize to someday be awarded to an audiophile cable designer, as they clearly are way ahead of the rest of us.
" - DC -
lu432
Verified Member
8th July 2011
Old 8th July 2011

Verified Member
First of all reviews like the one up top are fans being paid by IK's marketing team to push up their organic relevancy by using Gearslutz. First of all that irks me. If you want SEO and SEM relivancy pushed up post in your own blogs to push your agenda on someone else's site. Pay for advertising like we all do. I know that IK actively does this kind of SEM and SEO marketing.

Second of all I have several friends whom will remain nameless that have worked at IK. The stories I heard and saw first hand borderline the completely absurd. The story behinde how updated their sample library is completely laughable, and I don't mean that being mean, but the actual story behinde what they have paid (lots of money) and who they have paid and how they haven't utilized it actually does make me laugh hard and why would anyone that runs a business like that?

Third, I used to teach mastering at a school here in South Florida, and they brought in a person to do a seminar. It was aweful and they didn't know what their own product did, nor how it worked, and then proceeded to bash their own product line. It was extremely unprofessional and one would think that a company like IK multimedia would expend at least enough money to have someone like Michael Fuller or Felipe or even BK to come to a school and do a real presentation of their product line, especially in Miami where so many young, impressionable, and eager engineers reside.

So hopefully Ricardo I have kept it within reason, and bobsandifer I hold no personal malice against you. Every consumer has the opportunity to make their own mind and your are correct, however just like people can post postive reviews so can we post negative reviews (As long as I don't use belligerant language or personally attack anyone). Personally after trying their product line in 2009 their limiters sound harsh, their eq's ring, and their software is not intuitive like ozone, NI, or WaveLab. In short consumer beware of what you buy and whom you support.
9th July 2011
Old 9th July 2011
Banned

When I wrote this review I didn't work for IK nor was I paid to write a review. I started using IK's products and fell in love. Now I work for them.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search