ITU BS.1770 Meter
Matti
2nd July 2009
Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

ITU BS.1770 Meter

Well now that I occasionally use this free Orban meter I lack the intuition how to interrept the ITU etc. and CBS scales. What are good levels on those?
Sorry for simplifyed question

Matti
2nd July 2009
Old 2nd July 2009
Mastering

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTI View Post
Well now that I occasionally use this free Orban meter I lack the intuition how to interrept the ITU etc. and CBS scales. What are good levels on those?
Sorry for simplifyed question

Matti

At this time, it depends on the standard you are going for. The EBU is working towards a standardized center of gravity of -23 LKFS, also known as "0 LU". If you'd like to practice using that as a standard I believe you can reset the 0 LU reference in the Orban meter preferences.

But if -23 LKFS is currently not your bag, then decide what you are trying to go for, and then practice using that to see how the meter reacts to different types of program material. Don't hesitate to tell us here what your reactions are. Also note that the ballistics have not been standardized, the Orban is more of a short term meter, but a strong case can be made for, say, a 10 second long-term average to help decide how loud the program is.

BK
Matti
2nd July 2009
Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

Actually, should I ignore these meters when mixing a music recording or audio sweetening for pix ( sound design )and leave these condicerations to the persons who drive them out to a network (s)?
Yes this bit complicated for me other than my ears and varying experience

5.30 am local...

Matti
2nd July 2009
Old 2nd July 2009
Mastering

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTI View Post
Actually, should I ignore these meters when mixing a music recording or audio sweetening for pix ( sound design )and leave these condicerations to the persons who drive them out to a network (s)?
Yes this bit complicated for me other than my ears and varying experience

5.30 am local...

Matti

Broadcast and network compatibility is the driving force behind the EBU standard. The current U.S. and European network standard is a flat VU meter usually set to -20 dBFS and in the U.S. a digital peak meter usually set to -10 dBFS but this is very dependent on the network. In Europe, usually a QPPM (quasi-PPM) determines the highest peak permitted. All this is going to change as soon as the EBU standard is finalized and certain aspects of the measurement have been finalized (including gating the metering to ignore long periods of silent or very low pssages). At that time, it is likely that a -23 LKFS (weighted metering) standard will take over with true peaks (intersample peaks) permitted up to -1 or -2 dBTP ("dB true peak").

Until then, please contact the network for which you are making the program and try to get a copy of their standard. I hope this helps,

Bob
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search