Login / Register

Sontec Mastering Eq (impossible to find)
Closed
Subscribe
Gravity8058
18th April 2009
Old 18th April 2009
Lives for gear

Sontec Mastering Eq (impossible to find)

18th April 2009
Old 18th April 2009
Lives for gear

nah thats the new price of the old version you can have a modular version which can fit

parts of iti and sontec together

like i wrote too you he is still in busyness just contact him.
Cellotron
Verified Member
18th April 2009
Old 18th April 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Doug -
I hate to be an @$$ that ruins your sale by pointing this out - but are you aware that Burgess Macneal was handing out sheets at AES 2007 here in NYC with a list price of the Sontec 432-D9 new at $8200? I posted scans of these at ITI Audio / Sontec Mastering EQ info

From my understanding speaking with those who placed orders with ITI Audio in the past 2 years for the mastering eq's that it takes them an extended period of time to fulfill these - so I think for those who "want it now" would definitely be willing to pay a premium over this - but you might want to rethink the asking price in lieu of the fact that these eq's are now again still in fact being made.

In your favor I should note that the prices listed on the scan might have gone up since then, and that getting in contact with Burgess to place an order can sometimes be difficult - but I know he has shipped new Sontec eq's to a few studios (including Masterdisk, Ambient Digital and Grey Market) in the past 2 years.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Gravity8058
18th April 2009
Old 18th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpark View Post
nah thats the new price of the old version you can have a modular version which can fit

parts of iti and sontec together

like i wrote too you he is still in busyness just contact him.
Burgess is a fine man, but be prepared to wait up to two years for an 432 C9 ordered today. By the time it arrives the competition will be established. I appreciated your $9000 offer Wildpark, but I'm simply trying to recover my investment. I looked for 4 years before this unit became available, so finding one (much less one as nice as this unit) is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Gravity8058
18th April 2009
Old 18th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellotron View Post
Doug -
but you might want to rethink the asking price

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Hi Steve, Yes, I was aware and did manage to speak with Burgess at length
about 9 months ago. He said he'd been sending me a few spare parts, but they never came. I understand that he's overwhelmed by the interest in these eqs. I do respect your opinion Steve, so with that in mind, I suppose I'd be willing to consider offers below what I paid for it. I did hear mention that some different parts are involved in the new units (sorry I dont remember where I read that), so like many new versions of classic designs, these new units may not have the "magic" of the older ones. I guess time will tell.

18th April 2009
Old 18th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
but I know he has shipped new Sontec eq's to a few studios (including Masterdisk, Ambient Digital and Grey Market) in the past 2 years.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Were these 432's or 250s ??

I tried to buy a board for an ITI and was told a month but it never came.
Cellotron
Verified Member
18th April 2009
Old 18th April 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul EQ View Post
Were these 432's or 250s ??

I tried to buy a board for an ITI and was told a month but it never came.
The one to Masterdisk was a 432. The others were 250-EX's. I know he has supplied op-amps to Dan Zellman recently. I'm sure waiting time for all products is indeed very long. So again - if you need a 432 now Doug's is the only one I'm aware of being on the market right now - and so might actually be worth his asking price.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
mcsnare
Verified Member
18th April 2009
Old 18th April 2009
Gear maniac

Verified Member
The 432 I ordered took about a year and it cost $8,000 including a custom 2 frequency switch for the high shelf. I decided to pass on it and let Nathan James take my place in line. It sounds very good. I'm using an old 430B right now and I don't know if it needs a little TLC or what but I think Nathan's new 432C sounds better.

Dave
18th April 2009
Old 18th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsnare View Post
The 432 I ordered took about a year and it cost $8,000 including a custom 2 frequency switch for the high shelf. I decided to pass on it and let Nathan James take my place in line. It sounds very good. I'm using an old 430B right now and I don't know if it needs a little TLC or what but I think Nathan's new 432C sounds better.

Dave

Ok, so if your a famous ME at one of the biggest mastering complexes in the world, and you're willing to wait for 12 months, you MIGHT get one. So I suppose I should ammend my title to: "ALMOST Imposible to find"

Also, keep in mind that my unit is an original. Most would agree that a vintage UREI 1176 rev. D is more desirable than a new 1176.
BTW -- Dave - respect to you.

Gravity8058
20th April 2009
Old 20th April 2009
Lives for gear

Sunbreak Music
Verified Member
20th April 2009
Old 20th April 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Geez. Let the man put his own price tag on his own gear.
20th April 2009
Old 20th April 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:

Dave

[OT] the 430B doesn´t have discrete filter opamps which might be one reason for this (especially the highest bell band)
Gravity8058
20th April 2009
Old 20th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffen View Post
[OT] the 430B doesn´t have discrete filter opamps which might be one reason for this (especially the highest bell band)
I'm mesmerized by your avatar
21st April 2009
Old 21st April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

Dave

Sorry for the ot.

How old are those op amps? Probably pretty old (hs 1000s). If they are, I'm willing to bet thats a big part of it. I got a 2 rack space version of that box recently (I think they only made 1 of them, so says Burgess). Mine was DARK. I put some Steve Firlotte op amps in instead, as I knew getting some 1000s from Burgess would take a while. Its sounds freaking awesome now. Just an fyi. I got those op amps because Joe Gastwirt recommended them, and I couldn't be happier.
mcsnare
Verified Member
21st April 2009
Old 21st April 2009
Gear maniac

Verified Member
Good to know re: opamps.

As far as the wait time, I was just giving out info. That was very early at the point Burgess had started making them again and I think that THAT was what caused the wait time to be ONLY a year or so and not having anything to do with me. I'd bet the wait now is significantly longer which, for someone that has the coin and cannot wait, makes Doug's unit a fair deal.

Dave
21st April 2009
Old 21st April 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Sorry for the ot.

How old are those op amps? Probably pretty old (hs 1000s). If they are, I'm willing to bet thats a big part of it. I got a 2 rack space version of that box recently (I think they only made 1 of them, so says Burgess). Mine was DARK. I put some Steve Firlotte op amps in instead, as I knew getting some 1000s from Burgess would take a while. Its sounds freaking awesome now. Just an fyi. I got those op amps because Joe Gastwirt recommended them, and I couldn't be happier.
I have the Firlotte's in mine too. Installed them a few years ago and didn't look back... well not entirely true. A year ago I did install the hs1000s for a week but missed the sound of Firlott's (which are actually designed by John Hall) so I put them back in and have never looked back since then.
21st April 2009
Old 21st April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmasters View Post
I have the Firlotte's in mine too. Installed them a few years ago and didn't look back... well not entirely true. A year ago I did install the hs1000s for a week but missed the sound of Firlott's (which are actually designed by John Hall) so I put them back in and have never looked back since then.
I have never heard new/clean HS 1000s before so I can't really compare. I've just heard they are supposed to be lightning fast and huge sounding. Mine were definitely huge, but the top end was just not suitable for mastering. The Firlottes maybe aren't quite as huge, but sound really beautiful. Plus its nice to not have to cross my fingers every time I turn the unit on.
Gravity8058
21st April 2009
Old 21st April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
I have never heard new/clean HS 1000s before so I can't really compare. I've just heard they are supposed to be lightning fast and huge sounding. Mine were definitely huge, but the top end was just not suitable for mastering. The Firlottes maybe aren't quite as huge, but sound really beautiful. Plus its nice to not have to cross my fingers every time I turn the unit on.
For context, these guys are talking about the 430 which is the older version of the 432.
So, out of curiosity, why would you ever turn it off?
Cellotron
Verified Member
21st April 2009
Old 21st April 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity8058 View Post
For context, these guys are talking about the 430 which is the older version of the 432.
So, out of curiosity, why would you ever turn it off?
fwiw - I turn all of my gear - including my Sontec - off every night. From everything I've been able to suss out doing this makes the gear actually last longer - not shorter - plus reduces your electric bill.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Gravity8058
21st April 2009
Old 21st April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
fwiw - I turn all of my gear - including my Sontec - off every night. From everything I've been able to suss out doing this makes the gear actually last longer - not shorter - plus reduces your electric bill.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
I've heard many times that the turning on and off of (most) gear is what shortens it's life. That the "shock" of voltage wears on the components. Nothing I'd like more than saving on electric bills though!
Gravity8058
21st April 2009
Old 21st April 2009
Lives for gear

I've lowered the Buy it Now price on the Sontec by $2000.00
Cellotron
Verified Member
21st April 2009
Old 21st April 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity8058 View Post
I've heard many times that the turning on and off of (most) gear is what shortens it's life. That the "shock" of voltage wears on the components.
If the gear is designed and built poorly then this possibly could happen, BUT one thing that's way worse on electronic components than being turned on and off is heat - so by diminishing this you should be extending the lifetime more than you are shortening it by turning it on and off.
Quote:
Nothing I'd like more than saving on electric bills though!
Well one person who has had way more experience running and maintaining a studio than probably any of us here is Walter Sear - and he's firmly in the "turn it off" camp as well - his reasoning is in a nice article he wrote at - http://www.searsound.com/pdf/leaveiton.pdf

Best regards,
Steve Berson
21st April 2009
Old 21st April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
If the gear is designed and built poorly then this possibly could happen, BUT one thing that's way worse on electronic components than being turned on and off is heat - so by diminishing this you should be extending the lifetime more than you are shortening it by turning it on and off.

Well one person who has had way more experience running and maintaining a studio than probably any of us here is Walter Sear - and he's firmly in the "turn it off" camp as well - his reasoning is in a nice article he wrote at - http://www.searsound.com/pdf/leaveiton.pdf

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Thanks for that. That always seemed to make the most sense to me, so I'm glad I'm not alone.
StephenMarsh
Verified Member
22nd April 2009
Old 22nd April 2009
Gear maniac

Verified Member
Send a message via Skype™ to StephenMarsh
I agree - I've found the John Hall designed SPA-690 op-amps that Firlotte has the exclusive license to MFG are superior to API, GML and original Sontec blocks - hands down. I guess they call John the 'American Rupert Neve' for good reason

Now.....if they could just make CHIPS sound that good........well, we'd probably be speaking Chinese right now.

--Steph
www.MarshMastering.com
-----------------------------
22nd April 2009
Old 22nd April 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenMarsh View Post
I agree - I've found the John Hall designed SPA-690 op-amps that Firlotte has the exclusive license to MFG are superior to API, GML and original Sontec blocks - hands down. I guess they call John the 'American Rupert Neve' for good reason

Now.....if they could just make CHIPS sound that good........well, we'd probably be speaking Chinese right now.

--Steph
Will the SPA690 fit into existing stuff like the API 550's?
Waltz Mastering
Verified Member
22nd April 2009
Old 22nd April 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Well one person who has had way more experience running and maintaining a studio than probably any of us here is Walter Sear

Walter's a great guy, got to hang out with him for a few days while cutting a record at his studio a while back...

OT but, I've also got in the habit of putting outboard in bypass before power down.

www.waltzmastering.com

23rd April 2009
Old 23rd April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phild View Post
Will the SPA690 fit into existing stuff like the API 550's?
Yes they will Phil. My friend Scott has swapped them out in a few components.

John Hall also designed all the Electrodyne A1000 & A2000 op-amps, some Quad Eight op-amps AM3 (along with a young Deane Jensen I believe) & AM4 and the Sphere op-amps (and mic pre-amps). John also designed the mic pre-amps in the Quantum Audio Lab consoles... all hail John Hall!
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
518-581-8141
http://www.silvertonemastering.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Silve...82560415140525
------------------------------------------------
23rd April 2009
Old 23rd April 2009
Gear addict

looks like it sold. congrats doug!! or sad goodbyes....either way

k
Gravity8058
23rd April 2009
Old 23rd April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by krytikal1 View Post
looks like it sold. congrats doug!! or sad goodbyes....either way

k
Oh yeah, this was about my Sontec, yeah, someone bought it from Budapest, but I havn't yet received the wire xfer so we'll see.......
23rd April 2009
Old 23rd April 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
Yes they will Phil. My friend Scott has swapped them out in a few components.

John Hall also designed all the Electrodyne A1000 & A2000 op-amps, some Quad Eight op-amps AM3 (along with a young Deane Jensen I believe) & AM4 and the Sphere op-amps (and mic pre-amps). John also designed the mic pre-amps in the Quantum Audio Lab consoles... all hail John Hall!
Thanks, Larry. I didn't know this - I love this kind of stuff.

I can see why some guys use the John Hall amps in the older broken Sontec's (a stock 430B is still my fav EQ of all time) but why swap out an API amp when they sound good and are in good supply?

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search