Subscribe
aleatoric
Verified Member
14th April 2009
Old 14th April 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Flux Plugins, Really Nice

I have been demoing the Flux plugins. Right now I am mastering ITB for friends and low paying clients and such. I got some great speakers, a solid D/A, and good treatment in a high ceiling large to medium sized room, etc. Anyway, the whole mastering suite from Flux sounds really nice, Epure II is an incredibly smooth and transparent EQ, Sollera is probably the best software compressor I have ever heard (I have been working with PSP mastercomp previously), not a ton of character/color like a Vari-Mu but none the less really really nice sounding. The pure limiter II sounds incredible as well (once again I would use the word transparent). I just did a track for a friend with all those three Flux plugins and also used the Tritone Angletone for a high shelf and it came out sounding great. Its so cool that plugins have come such a long way. Anyway, I recommend anyone looking for some plugs to add to the mastering arsenal to give them a demo. There demo limitations are pretty relaxed and really allow you to explore the plugins before buying. As soon as I have $700 to blow I am definitely getting there mastering pack.
Thor
Verified Member
15th April 2009
Old 15th April 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Send a message via Skype™ to Thor
They do sound pretty decent for plugins, although I could never get past the crashing and instability.

YMMV.

Thor
www.sonovo.no
15th April 2009
Old 15th April 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
They do sound pretty decent for plugins, although I could never get past the crashing and instability.

YMMV.

Thor
Well, yes...its been a while since a Flux plug crashed on my machine.

Flux Alchemist replaced my Weiss DS-1, which is a decent compressor in itself.
<Judge-Mental> kill me
Lagerfeldt
Verified Member
15th April 2009
Old 15th April 2009
Audio Alchemist

Verified Member
Quote:

YMMV.

Thor
No crashing or instability here.

That's quite a while back :-) Solera/Alchemist are amazing dynamic processors.

Flux Epure has great functionality but the sound is the same as other minimum phase equalizers.

Online Mastering.dk

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
15th April 2009
Old 15th April 2009
Lives for gear

I couldn't imagine paying 700 smackers for 6 12byte plugins. It seems outlandish.
15th April 2009
Old 15th April 2009
Lives for gear

Just purchased the full set of Flux plugins and I'm absolutely blown away again and again at how they sound. The EQ has worked as I would expect as a minimum phase EQ to do. I'm still learning how to get the most out of the comps, but they sound great as well...

So far, using them as a VST plugin, there are absolutely no stability issues.

--Ben
http://www.fifthcircle.com
aleatoric
Verified Member
15th April 2009
Old 15th April 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
I couldn't imagine paying 700 smackers for 6 12byte plugins. It seems outlandish.
You could say the same about a lot of gear, some people spend just that on cables in there studio. Other people spend $7,000 on an external word clock. I really don't think it is that crazy to spend that much on some really high quality plugins, sure it would be nice if the price dropped a bit but the developers who pour themselves into these things need to get paid. Hell the Prism Dream A/D-2 costs over 9 grand and most people listening at home could probably not pick out the differences between a track mastered with it and a track mastered with say the Benchmark ADC-1. The cost difference between those two units is nearly 8 grand and people will gladly pay it because they want the Prism sound. $700 on some terrific sounding plugins is really not that outlandish when you put it into perspective.
16th April 2009
Old 16th April 2009
Banned

Quote:

YMMV.

Thor

Im waiting for linux development to come on a bit, then id prefer just use linux and my current hardware. Sequoia is great, but windows and mac just aint in the unix / linux ballpark. My old man has been a die hard unix user for years and years. Its so bloody powerful and stable. 15 years ago when I first used a sun workstion I was gobsmacked at how much more advanced the unix systems were than the windows & mac offerings. Pretty shocked theres not an industry standard unix audio workstation in the vein of audio cube or such like. But yeah, back on subject...Flux are very good plugins indeed.
Lagerfeldt
Verified Member
16th April 2009
Old 16th April 2009
Audio Alchemist

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
Just purchased the full set of Flux plugins and I'm absolutely blown away again and again at how they sound. The EQ has worked as I would expect as a minimum phase EQ to do. I'm still learning how to get the most out of the comps, but they sound great as well...
Don't forget to try the Flux in M/S mode.

The Solera is a complicated dynamic processor and extremely versatile. By far the best digital compressor for mastering I've used.
17th April 2009
Old 17th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleak orange View Post
Well, yes...its been a while since a Flux plug crashed on my machine.

Flux Alchemist replaced my Weiss DS-1, which is a decent compressor in itself.
I've been demoing the Alchemist very thoroughly lately and I'm always surprised to hear such comments.

Am I the only one here hearing that The Alchemist severely compromises any audio that you throw at it? If you can't hear it or don't believe me, try inserting more than 1 instance of the plugin in series. At the very least you should notice that something is wrong when 3 or more instances are inserted. I believe this is caused by the IIR filters used for the cross overs which are definitely not the optimal way of doing things. There are several other multiband compressors that don't have linear phase filters but still manage to avoid this problem of common IIR filtering (and Flux even use hyperbole like "state of the art IIR filters" in their manual), I think one solution is called a recursive filter. Notable plugins in this regard are ReaXcomp (built in multiband compressor in Reaper) and iZotope Ozone.

Other than that, it has tremendous potential but is still a rough diamond (user interface issues, usability issues etc).

EDIT: I'd also like to add that because of the silly use of IIR cross over filters, the wet-dry feature becomes virtually useless as the original versus the split band audio information becomes completely messed up. Some serious phasing issues arise. In general I'm quite surprised that a company that charges a premium for their products, lets these kinds of problems through. Don't they have any beta testers?

Cheers!
bManic
18th April 2009
Old 18th April 2009
Gear maniac

I have never tried putting the Alchemist in series.

I had the Weiss DS-1 MK II and later mk III and compared it to the Alchemist for quite some time. I found that I could get results faster with the Alchemist. Compbined with the Algorithmix Split Comp these two are everything the Weiss is and then some.

Last edited by bleak orange; 19th April 2009 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: Etiquette
18th April 2009
Old 18th April 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
Flux Epure has great functionality but the sound is the same as other minimum phase equalizers.
I'm surprised by this. I thought you thought it sounded superior to other MP EQs?
18th April 2009
Old 18th April 2009
Lives for gear

Yes, that discount is what makes me tempted to get Alchemist. However, if they don't plan on fixing the crossover filters then I'll get Solera instead and create my own multiband processor from that. Would save me money as well but it'll be a lot more fiddly to setup.

I've gotten some really nice results using The Alchemist as a "set and forget" multiband leveler, which makes it easy to push an EQ into it without ruining the overall spectral balance of the track. Somehow this works very well while boosting frequencies that would otherwise hurt ones ears (like a nice 2dB boost at 3kHz etc). Simply set alchemist to do some look ahead duty with a very small ratio like 1.05 and a deep threshold, slow release (or auto release).

I also have some graphics glitches running the Alchemist in Reaper. Anybody else notice these problems?

Cheers!
bManic
19th April 2009
Old 19th April 2009
Lives for gear

I'm sitting on the fence about this. I think I'll at least get the limiter or maybe the Mastering Pack. What are your opinions on Solera?

added:

Quote:
Don't forget to try the Flux in M/S mode.

The Solera is a complicated dynamic processor and extremely versatile. By far the best digital compressor for mastering I've used.
- missed this endorsement of Solera... still sitting on the fence, though. I need to spend some more time with the demos.
19th April 2009
Old 19th April 2009
Lives for gear

The idea of the discount was not to publish it on the internet. I'm sure Flux is going to cut it off if people who aren't Ohmforce customers start using it.

Etiquette, people. Etiquette.

- c
Table Of Tone
Verified Member
19th April 2009
Old 19th April 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I just tried the demo package and thought they were pretty OK ish.

I didn't like the limiter at all.
The EQ was OK but nothing out of the ordinary.
The Alchemist is a little too crippled for the demo version so I couldn't really judge it properly.
I think the Solera is the most usable comp out of the bunch.

A pretty good comp for a plugin!

I do really like the large style interface of these plugins as I'm blind as a bat!
Lagerfeldt
Verified Member
20th April 2009
Old 20th April 2009
Audio Alchemist

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Of Tone View Post

I didn't like the limiter at all.
You can make it do funny stuff once you get to know all the functions, it's not the same as a fire-and-forget limiter like the L2. I wasn't initially impressed but it can be just what the doctor ordered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Of Tone View Post
I do really like the large style interface of these plugins as I'm blind as a bat!
Haha, same here.
Table Of Tone
Verified Member
23rd April 2009
Old 23rd April 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
OK, I just bought the Pure Comp 11 mainly because I have an album to actually mix and it is a great sounding comp even though its a plugin.
I can't find another vendors plugin comp that even comes close!

I'm not a mixing engineer and just perform mastering tasks but about a year ago a client asked me to mix their record.
I mixed it with them there and tried to explain that maybe someone else should master it to get another pair of ears on it.
They wouldn't hear of it so I ended up cutting it as well.

They went away happy, which was nice!

That situation has just come up again!
23rd April 2009
Old 23rd April 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
However, if they don't plan on fixing the crossover filters then I'll get Solera instead and create my own multiband processor from that. Would save me money as well but it'll be a lot more fiddly to setup.
I've been using Solera I & II with RNDigital's Splizer filters and have had extremely good results from this combo. Kind of defeats any desire for me to get Alchemist. I don't need multiband comp that much anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerone View Post
but windows and mac just aint in the unix / linux ballpark. My old man has been a die hard unix user for years and years. Its so bloody powerful and stable. 15 years ago when I first used a sun workstion I was gobsmacked at how much more advanced the unix systems were than the windows & mac offerings.
Mac OS X is Unix, underneath the GUI.
Verified Member
24th April 2009
Old 24th April 2009
Audio Alchemist

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by fader8 View Post
I've been using Solera I & II with RNDigital's Splizer filters and have had extremely good results from this combo. Kind of defeats any desire for me to get Alchemist. I don't need multiband comp that much anyway.
Could you elaborate on that?

DIY multiband? :-)
24th April 2009
Old 24th April 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Could you elaborate on that?

DIY multiband? :-)
Yup. Instantiate Splizer as a multi-out instrument and pick up the 3 bands on aux's, each with Solera II. Several advantages to this, each band (Solera) has an independent sidechain which can be externally keyed, even from each other! And of course, you can use other effects on the aux's, and those have their own sends so possibilities are quite numerous.

Handy also when you want to process one band externally, given you determine its process delay, of course.

Splizer uses FIR filters, 24dB/oct. Pretty good stuff.
Lagerfeldt
Verified Member
24th April 2009
Old 24th April 2009
Audio Alchemist

Verified Member
Nice!

I just refuse to spend my money on anything with RND in front of it due to what's going on with the website(s).
25th April 2009
Old 25th April 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
I just refuse to spend my money on anything with RND in front of it due to what's going on with the website(s).
Can't blame ya there, Holger. One of the worst marketing mistakes in the history of plug-ins. The Elemental Audio stuff was doing just fine. Putting Roger's name on everything and giving the plug-ins idiotic names didn't help at all! In fact it had the opposite effect. Now it's like who knows what's going on. A good lesson in branding actually. Don't mess with a good thing!

Idiots with egos.
Lagerfeldt
Verified Member
25th April 2009
Old 25th April 2009
Audio Alchemist

Verified Member
Table Of Tone
Verified Member
25th April 2009
Old 25th April 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Wow!
They've completely stolen the waves layout!
Lagerfeldt
Verified Member
25th April 2009
Old 25th April 2009
Audio Alchemist

Verified Member
Neither Flux nor RND looks anything like Waves?
25th April 2009
Old 25th April 2009
Gear maniac

Soz lager I'm confused whats that all about? A great dev who got shafted, is that it?
25th April 2009
Old 25th April 2009
Lives for gear

It's the website. Very very close to waves down to little tiny details!!!

Wow. WOW.

What a bonehead.dfegad

(haven't used the squirrel pissing in over 2 years).
25th April 2009
Old 25th April 2009
Gear maniac

this can't be the first plug gui rip? not trying to excuse it, just wondering.

My PC has many wonderful new features. I'm not sure where they came from but man those microsoft guys are clever I'll say!
Table Of Tone
Verified Member
26th April 2009
Old 26th April 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloocproducer View Post
It's the website. Very very close to waves down to little tiny details!!!

Wow. WOW.

What a bonehead.dfegad

(haven't used the squirrel pissing in over 2 years).
Yep!
Do you see what I mean?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search