Reverb at the mastering stage
New Reply
Subscribe
Kyle Ashley
29th June 2005
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

Reverb at the mastering stage

Any of you mastering gurus using reverb at the mastering stage?
What circumstances would cause you to use it and how would you implement it?
Verified Member
30th June 2005
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Send a message via AIM to dave-G Send a message via Skype™ to dave-G
The only time I have ever used reverb in a mastering setting was on an acoustic, live-to-2-track, semi-'classical' project: I needed to create a decent ring-out/decay for an otherwise good take that was spoiled by someone dropping something at the end. I programmed up a reverb that matched the sound of the room as best I could, and automated the send to it going up just on the last "boom" of the music, as the actual recorded tail was faded down before the offending thud could be heard. Worked nicely.

In any kind of pop or rock music, the thought of adding global reverb gives me the willies. No thanks. I just can't think of a situation where it would sound like anything other than cheese. ...

Of course, no offense to the dairy industry.

-dave
30th June 2005
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

An ME did something similat for a recor I did a couple years ago. There was some kind of noise too close to the end of the song that made the fade seem abrupt. I can't even remember what song it was(I know what record), so that's a good sign.
Follow me on TWITTER!

WWJMD?

Come see me on the Tape Op boards!

It's only inches on the reel to reel
matt thomas
Verified Member
30th June 2005
Old 30th June 2005

Verified Member
I had to overdub the drums once in mastering becasue the mixer forgot to put them in (no I'm not kidding), I think it ended up being a top 20 single too!
30th June 2005
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

It Depends

I have had a few occasions when it made sense and I'm convinced it improved the song: a latin tune that was a tongue in cheek ballad about betrayal, a surf instrumental and an alt pop song that was mixed almost dry.

On occasion I've also put delay on an entire mix, mainly rockabilly stuff. That seems to work as well depending on the situation.

This isn't something I do all the time, but when the shoe fits...
Riccardo
Verified Member
30th June 2005
Old 30th June 2005
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
To reconstruct "chopped" fades which are unfortunately very common, mostly from not too experienced engineers I guess but every now and ten even from supposedly pro guys.
Turn up that volume knob to 11 or wear headphones when you fade out!

"Can you imagine how great the Beatles or Pink Floyd could have sounded if they had used better cables?

I expect a Nobel prize to someday be awarded to an audiophile cable designer, as they clearly are way ahead of the rest of us.
" - DC -
30th June 2005
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
In any kind of pop or rock music, the thought of adding global reverb gives me the willies. No thanks. I just can't think of a situation where it would sound like anything other than cheese.
did he say Blessed are the cheese makers? I think he ment producers of dairy in general.
jayfrigo
Verified Member
30th June 2005
Old 30th June 2005

My Recordings/Credits

Verified Member
Reverb in mastering is pretty uncommon, but you still need to have a good one available for the instances where it is called for. You may be reconstructing clipped tails or smoothing fades, occasionally the client wants a little extra on acoustic or folk music, sometimes you cheat on an orchestral or traditional/classical piece that wasn't recorded in a great hall, and finally, when doing a CD release of a film score a little 'verb may help you.
www.studiometronome.com
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search