Cutting Frequencies
Maraxvx
23rd January 2009
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear nut

Cutting Frequencies

I know every song is different, but if I want to make sure that my stuff will play okay on most systems and not blow out the speakers (with rumble).... is it best to roll off the low end at around 35?
23rd January 2009
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

Cellotron
Verified Member
23rd January 2009
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Absolutely every track is different. Some tracks that have the need for some unmusical rumble to be controlled and cleaned up can use an HPF set conservatively in order to tighten up the bottom end. Some tracks with a ton of low end rumble need an HPF to be set with a relatively high crossover frequency to be effective (or alternately use a low shelf cut). Some tracks work best with no HPF at all. Some tracks with an anemic bottom end actually need a boost in the subs in order to get some thump happening.

The only way to be able to best judge where the best point to is with a full range system that allows you to accurately hear the bottom octave. If you then hear a problem - then by all means correct it. But if there is no problem and you like the sound of the botton end as is then placing an HPF on (or doing a low shelf cut) would in fact be a mistake!

Next - every HPF is a little different in terms of its slope and what its crossover frequency really is in comparison to its nominal value - and also to what kind of phase distortion it imparts when engaged - so you next need to actually listen to the effect of it in relation to the original source to determine what the best setting for that particular processor is.

In other words - there is no easy answer - except to make sure you have monitoring that is effective and accurate all the way to the lowest audible frequencies - and to spend some time listening to a multitude of sources so that you can learn when the bottom sounds "good" and know when the tracks you are processing are set "right".

Best regards,
Steve Berson
MASSIVE Master
Verified Member
23rd January 2009
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
23rd January 2009
Old 23rd January 2009
Mixing-M.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara*** View Post
I know every song is different, but if I want to make sure that my stuff will play okay on most systems and not blow out the speakers (with rumble).... is it best to roll off the low end at around 35?
Check out the thread these users are pointing out to you, but if it's really rumble what concerns you YMMV. I'd use a notch filter no wider than 10Hz and start at around 45Hz. Move {or dial} the center freq down - one Hz at a time - until you find the rumble sounds considerable reduced. If not, widen the filter's bandwidth. Or, make sure you are on the ball park by opening up a RTA an insure your filtering is surgical. This is better than a HF filter as it minimizes the impact on the sub sonic energy.

Regards,
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search