Login / Register

Which is the best mastering compressor plugin ?
New Reply
Subscribe
Jerry Tubb
Verified Member
17th May 2012
Old 17th May 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Network View Post
Which is the best mastering compressor plugin ?
insert pic of an XLR cable "plugging in" to a Rupert Neve MBP

JT
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear nut

The Glue

2nd choice: Klanghelm DC8C or Elysia Alpha
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Gear addict

Great discussion! I really like the elysia alpha and brainworx vertigo vsc 2. Have some of the options others have mentioned, but I usually reach for one of these first.
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

I've become a recent convert to Paul Frindle's Dynamic Spectrum Mapper...

Pro Audio DSP - Professional Audio Plugins - Audio Units, Pro Tools and VST for Mac and PC

It's a new concept instead of an emulation of something old. It is brilliant in its concept and application. It's also on sale now at Plugin Alliance. I use it on individual tracks too.

Check out his video...

http://vimeo.com/2365432

BTW, Paul Frindle was the lead designer on the SSL boards and the Sony Oxford digital console. He mentioned in a thread here that, knowing what he knows, he would never use a lot of the old SSL stuff, like the buss comp.
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

I often like T-Racks 1. there's 4 devices in that though but, they all work very well together. when problems arise in one compressor you can often counteract it with the other compressor or a little of it's EQ. to the point where you don't really hear any extra EQ but some mid or top might dynamically bloom and keep the compressor open just long enough to bring something to life in a very musical way.
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

The Dynamic spectrum mapper is really innovative and useful!
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Gear interested

My glue compressor for mastering is the Waves PuigChild 670!
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Gear Head

DSM and Alpha Compressor

This Dynamic Spectrum Mapper is a pretty crazy device after having watched the videos! Will have to try. I'm wary of "fix-all" devices (vocal rider et al). At the least, as a de-esser, DSM seems very powerful and as new/diff. as it seems to be, definitely warrants a good working over. Considering the source it can't be easily dismissed.

As for the SW compressors, I've grown to love the Alpha comp in a mastering context, for numerous reasons. Sidechain HP control is often crucial. M/S dynamics are extremely helpful when dealing nasty transients-snares, harsh vocals for ex. Parallel mix capability is major. It does nice-and-easy, and crushing, equally well. Up and down compression, too. The oversampling continues to surprise when picking up gain, pre-brickwall.
Much as I'd like to ditch (and do when I can) brickwall, it's comforting to get good average volumes up w/out having to rely on the limiter.
As for SW limiters I tend to go with the UA Precision for more open, acoustic work, the Pro-L for more dense applications.

Highly recommended, the Alpha comp, though it takes some time to get comfortable with, imo.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
I've become a recent convert to Paul Frindle's Dynamic Spectrum Mapper...

Pro Audio DSP - Professional Audio Plugins - Audio Units, Pro Tools and VST for Mac and PC

It's a new concept instead of an emulation of something old. It is brilliant in its concept and application. It's also on sale now at Plugin Alliance. I use it on individual tracks too.

Check out his video...

Dynamic Spectrum Mapper introduction on Vimeo

BTW, Paul Frindle was the lead designer on the SSL boards and the Sony Oxford digital console. He mentioned in a thread here that, knowing what he knows, he would never use a lot of the old SSL stuff, like the buss comp.
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

The DSM takes a bit to wrap your head around setting up the profile, but after that it's straight forward. Go to presets and use the startup preset. It's exaggerated but it's used to set the profile for the loudest part of the song. Then save the profile and setup the comp like a regular comp and load the profile. He explains it in the video.

I recently replaced the UAD Precision Limiter with the Flux Elixir and it is much more transparent and clean/clear, which benefits my music much more.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search