SSL Compressor For Mastering?
BigJunk
28th November 2007
Old 28th November 2007
Gear addict

SSL Compressor For Mastering?

Do any pros use the SSL compressor for a mastering compressor? Someone told me that Brian Big Bass only uses that but couldn't confirm it.
Junk
28th November 2007
Old 28th November 2007
Mastering

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJunk View Post
Do any pros use the SSL compressor for a mastering compressor? Someone told me that Brian Big Bass only uses that but couldn't confirm it.
Junk
I have heard second hand that Bernie's house has a MODIFIED SSL compressor for mastering. The attack and release times have been modified and more optimized for mastering. This may totally be a rumor, and I can't reveal my source!
28th November 2007
Old 28th November 2007
Gear addict

i really like it for mastering when used mildly...low ratios and low gain reduction. it all depends on the source material.
28th November 2007
Old 28th November 2007
Lives for gear

If it can be used on the mixbuss, it can be used for mastering.

Sometimes a mix lacks glue and why not an SSL comp to fit the need.

J.
MASSIVE Master
Verified Member
29th November 2007
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I have a moderately hot-rodded 4000 E/G clone that I use occasionally... Not often, but it comes in handy here and there.
Andy Krehm
Verified Member
29th November 2007
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I bought the Waves SSL plug-in b/c the mix guys that work here wanted it.

One day, when mastering a heavy album, I could not get one track to sit right with the rest so in desperation, I tried the SSL buss comp. It actually did the trick.

I would definitely try it again but I keep forgetting that I have access to it!
29th November 2007
Old 29th November 2007
Gear addict

Quote:
Junk
He used one when I sat in with him. It's on a switch. In or out. Looks like an all in-house creation.
29th November 2007
Old 29th November 2007
Gear maniac

I will have to give kudos to the Waves SSL bus compressor because of one experience...

Last year I was mastering a project for a label and after the entire project was completely mixed and mastered, they had to do a recall because of a lyrics-rights issue. They cut the new vocal part and got it to me quick. I got the new mix and the mix engineer told me that I should be able to do a straight recall on the mastering.

I pulled the mix up and the first thing that caught my eye was the difference in the waveform between the original and their 'recall'. I did an A/B check and sure enough it was far more than a print level difference. After switching back and forth a couple of times, I came to the conclusion that they forgot to engage the SSL's bus compressor. Being up against a hard deadline and knowing they couldn't get back into the studio in time, I inserted the Waves SSL bus compressor in front of my mastering chain and dialed it in. By the time I was done, I was able to use my recall as it was and deliver parts on schedule.

I'm not going to tell you to dump any hardware or that the plug is exactly the same but it saved my butt that day and I'll admit that the A/B between masters was pretty darn impressive.
Lagerfeldt
Verified Member
29th November 2007
Old 29th November 2007
Audio Alchemist

Verified Member
Quote:
Junk
I use a modified SSL 4000 clone with a sidechained lowcut from 80 Hz/6dB roll off per octave to make it pump less and get a fuller bottom.

I rarely use that alone though, just one part of the chain.
29th November 2007
Old 29th November 2007
Gear addict

Quote:
Junk
From my experience the SSL can be good as a mastering comp. The limited control can make it not so good for some mixes, but it can really tighten up the low end and bring out the smoothness of the low end pretty well.

Eck
30th November 2007
Old 30th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phild View Post
He used one when I sat in with him. It's on a switch. In or out. Looks like an all in-house creation.
Yep. It's there. I think the needle only moved like a half a db (if that's really accurate) when I was there. I wonder how the attack/ release are modified... I'm guessing more options on the longer attacks and more options on the shorter releases. Probably has it side chained too, right? Hence the name BBB?
Lagerfeldt
Verified Member
30th November 2007
Old 30th November 2007
Audio Alchemist

Verified Member
That's a VU so remember the needle moving half a dB can be quite a bit more in terms of peak compression. Mine moves about 1.25 dB maximum in most cases.
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
Gear interested

will it be ok if i could use a stereo comp from ssl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
I use a modified SSL 4000 clone with a sidechained lowcut from 80 Hz/6dB roll off per octave to make it pump less and get a fuller bottom.

I rarely use that alone though, just one part of the chain.
will it be ok if i use the stereo comp from xrack to my maste rbus
Bob Olhsson
Verified Member
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Motown legend

My Studio

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Boyd View Post
...Being up against a hard deadline and knowing they couldn't get back into the studio in time, I inserted the Waves SSL bus compressor in front of my mastering chain and dialed it in. By the time I was done, I was able to use my recall as it was and deliver parts on schedule...
I had an experience like that where one verse needed to be replaced. My client had the Pro Tools files but no time to send them back to New York to be remixed with the new vocal. We popped the 4k channel strips each track, and the compressor on the master, quickly mixed just that that verse, spliced it in and it sounded perfect.
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Gear nut

had one for a while. Difficoult to fit without major mods.

DB
bendermastering
Verified Member
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
The TK Audio BC1 is a good example of an SSL type compressor that's good for mastering.
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

I use a grey face fx g384 from time to time with max 1db of compression.
Can be too punchy sometimes though ...
Joe_caithness
Verified Member
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
FWIW I use the PSP Audioware SSL style Compressor Buscomp a lot in mastering, such good value for money!
Deleted User #106149
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Deleted User #106149

I love this compressor, I replaced it with the glue bit I miss waves SSL character. There's something about it, and my needle barely moved. I hate compression but there's something about it on the master buss.

Sent from my HTC Desire
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Gear addict

I often use Itb duende ssl bus comp, its sounds good in some material
Lagerfeldt
Verified Member
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Audio Alchemist

Verified Member
Today I have an SSL XLogic G-series SuperAnalogue in my setup (I don't have the modified clone anymore), but in my opinion it's not a "mastering" compressor, though it can be used as part of a chain with some mixes.
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Lives for gear

*I should read the whole thread before I post* nothing I would've said would've added anymore info. Long live the ssl comp.
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

I love my SSL X-Rack G Comp on the master bus mostly for it's clean super analog sound. I use it with sidechain cables or eq. I guess it may not be the first choice for mastering pro's, but the X rack has recall and so all settings are also recall friendly on the SSL bus comp, so IMO it's more than ideal for mastering in the right situations. The X Rack G Comp has lower ratio of 1.5 and 3, so offers more flexibility, setting recall and sidechain inputs.
bendermastering
Verified Member
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
IMO the sidechain high pass filter in the TK Audio is what makes the unit great for polishing mixes. In fact, I think I never used that compressor without the sidechain filter on.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search