Avalon ad 2055 for mastering? vs Millennia NSEQ 2
New Reply
Subscribe
Kris Bang Boom
2nd October 2007
Old 2nd October 2007
Gear addict

Avalon ad 2055 for mastering? vs Millennia NSEQ 2

Is the Avalon 2055 eq on par to the Millennia SNEQ for a clean mastering eq, is it something to start with, I see so many for sale at good prices, and do any big ME's use them?
Thanks
Jaffa
2nd October 2007
Old 2nd October 2007
Lives for gear

The Avalon ad2055 is a superb eq though always seems to get a poor rating around here and I just don't know why. Analogies such as pillowy or whatever just don't make sense to me. If you can get 1 cheap just buy it, they are great, not so much in the low freq's but great in the higher freq's especially the passive high shelf.

Even just running a signal through it with no eq boost or cut adds something special.

You will see them in many mastering houses, I've seen them modded with all stepped pots too, though that will add about $4000 to the price.

I have not used the nseq2 but would like to.
2nd October 2007
Old 2nd October 2007
Lives for gear

I'm affraid it's not so simple. Someone here can tell you to buy this or that, but something else may work for you. I think there are no perfect Eq for everything. NSEQ-2 is quite verstaile, hard to find anything bad about the sound, maybe except the highs (they are good but not 100% neutral, like with passive constructions). I didn't hear the Avalon but I think that you should consider to not follow the opinions like "This EQ is good only for highs". I've also read some negative opinions on Massive Passive and I don't share them since I've got the unit.
Jerry Tubb
Verified Member
2nd October 2007
Old 2nd October 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffa Gate View Post
Is the Avalon 2055 eq on par to the Millennia SNEQ for a clean mastering eq, is it something to start with, I see so many for sale at good prices, and do any big ME's use them?
They're both excellent EQs, we have one of each, use them daily.

In our Studio B, Nick uses an Avalon 2055, a GML 8200, & a Z-Sys EQ.

The Avalon has a characteristic sheen on the high end that some people really like.

In our Studio A, I use an NSEQ-2 (with Forsell mod), a Sontec 432, & a Z-Sys EQ.

The NSEQ-2 also has a really nice top end, one click at 21k really adds some nice air.

The detented knobs are really nice as well.

So it's a toss up, they're both found in many mastering rooms around the world.

My advice would be to get a demo of each, see which one suits your fancy.

JT
2nd October 2007
Old 2nd October 2007
Gear Head

The 2055 sounds good and sometimes great depening on the source. I particularly like it's high shelf but I like it's bass as well. Having said that it's not my only eq and I often end up not using it. All the gains are continuously variable as are the mid frequencies. This means you have to be careful when matching sides or trying to recall settings. I also find it tricky to make accurate small adjustments to the gain pots. It's possible but you have to be careful and this can sometimes slow down the working process. For these reasons I would be hesitant to recommend it as a primary eq.
2nd October 2007
Old 2nd October 2007
Gear addict

Does the cranesong ibis fit in with the "cleaner" sound of the millennia, and would the cransong give me to work with?
Thanks
going to get something this week!!
Jaffa
2nd October 2007
Old 2nd October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffa Gate View Post
Does the cranesong ibis fit in with the "cleaner" sound of the millennia, and would the cransong give me to work with?
Thanks
going to get something this week!!
Jaffa
From these two I'd prefer the Millennia. It's not exactly about which one is more clean (they both are) but rather which one is more user-friendly.
mcsnare
Verified Member
2nd October 2007
Old 2nd October 2007
Gear maniac

Verified Member
I haven't compared a 2055, but I have heard a 2077 next to a Fred Forssell replacement guts NSEQ-2. I like the NSEQ-2 FF a lot better. A stock NSEQ-2 is a different story.
Dave
2nd October 2007
Old 2nd October 2007
Mastering

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsnare View Post
I haven't compared a 2055, but I have heard a 2077 next to a Fred Forssell replacement guts NSEQ-2. I like the NSEQ-2 FF a lot better. A stock NSEQ-2 is a different story.
Dave
Oh, I forgot to mention, Fred redid my NSEQ-2, also. It's more "transparent". This is not an EQ for those who are looking for color.

BK

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Kris Bang Boom
3rd October 2007
Old 3rd October 2007
Gear addict

I have read lots on all the diff. forums about the FF mods to the NEQ2, does it have any magic with out the mod, and can it still work unmodded(in hopes of getting it done), also does the unmoded versions add colour, in a good way?
Thanks
Jaffa
jdg
Verified Member
3rd October 2007
Old 3rd October 2007
jdg
Lives for gear

Verified Member
i've never used the NSEQ-F.. but i loved the SS side of my NSEQ-2.
very very useful for mastering. never was too crazy about the ergonmics of it.. but whatevr.

im trying to wrangle my hands on used one now... and put in that FF board.

panicStudios - mastering in seattle
3rd October 2007
Old 3rd October 2007
Gear nut

...millennia and avalon are different beasts, like 2055, that i own, and 2077. As a main eq no dubt about millennia for recalling and transparency in his price range. As a color, i find passive bands very attractive in the 2055.

DB
28th May 2008
Old 28th May 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Questions

a)What are the differences in quality between the 2055 and the 2077?

I have been searching for masterig EQs between 2000-3000 ( end up as being 3500-4500) when arrive inmy country. :(

At the two most important mastering forums on the web, several MES did not recommend me the Avalon boxes.

I am curious about the P9 and the Ibis. Now it has appeared this Fred Forssell NSEQ2.

b)Is this Forssell product already on stores? Having some difficult to find it or is it a modification that is custom-made?

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa
28th May 2008
Old 28th May 2008
Gear maniac

One year using Nseq2 FF and I think is fantasticthumbsup

What second EQ do you think can match with nseq for adding colour?

Post production, Composition, Mixing and Mastering.
JJ Bohoyo, Sound Designer
Kris Bang Boom
28th May 2008
Old 28th May 2008
Gear addict

i have been using a factory nseq2 for 6 months and am finding it usefull but the fact is it has not given me the "wow" factor that some gear has (Pendulum ocl2) i find it lacks something in the low mids but the highs and lows are great,
but before i do the FF mods i was going to try a EQ for colour and have been looking(listening) at all the options i can get my hands on, one was a Summit EQF 100 full range eq i only had one so it was mono but it was adding real tone after the nseq(always mastering in the solid state) just adding slight curves it was giving a solid tone and not adding any boomy muddies , which is what i heard in the Massive Passive , the term for the Summit was using it subtle and only giving colour.
Some big ME's do have pairs in the rack maybe someone can chime in on a pair of these as a colour eq,
And think they go for 1000 each on Ebay and they are pretty cool looking(whatever thats worth)
my two cents after 6 months of the nseq2
jaffa
macc
Verified Member
28th May 2008
Old 28th May 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Send a message via AIM to macc
FWIW I know an ME who uses the Summit 100s on pretty much everything (he's doing electronic stuff at a big mastering house in London). He uses them mainly for the upper end as I recall... His work makes me sick , so if that's what makes that part of his sound, they must be gorgeous.

Just thought I'd mention it!
29th May 2008
Old 29th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
The Avalon ad2055 is a superb eq though always seems to get a poor rating around here and I just don't know why. Analogies such as pillowy or whatever just don't make sense to me. If you can get 1 cheap just buy it, they are great, not so much in the low freq's but great in the higher freq's especially the passive high shelf.
Since I do more mixing work than mastering, I just picked one up at a great 2nd hand price, and our "Gear Guru" thrill has posted a WTB on one...

I'm not unsatisfied at first glance...and I'm not an Avalon fan usually...

(though like all Avalon stuff it burns really really hot...)
29th May 2008
Old 29th May 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
Since I do more mixing work than mastering, I just picked one up at a great 2nd hand price, and our "Gear Guru" thrill has posted a WTB on one...

I'm not unsatisfied at first glance...and I'm not an Avalon fan usually...

Just to clarify i am looking for one so i can trade it for something else.

The 2055 is a real nice EQ. It has the classic Avalon "pillowy" sound.

Air for days.
lucey
Verified Member
29th May 2008
Old 29th May 2008
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Class A
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Air for days.
+1.5 at 32k when flat
Lagerfeldt
Verified Member
29th May 2008
Old 29th May 2008
Audio Alchemist

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
The Avalon ad2055 is a superb eq though always seems to get a poor rating around here and I just don't know why.
Really? I think it's a rather good EQ, and normally a quite acknowledged product for all applications.

Online Mastering.dk

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
jayfrigo
Verified Member
29th May 2008
Old 29th May 2008

My Recordings/Credits

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
Really? I think it's a rather good EQ, and normally a quite acknowledged product for all applications.
Love it in recording and mixing; didn't care for it in mastering. While it certainly provides high quality audio, it wasn't as clean as the Millennia, nor as pleasingly colorful as something like a massive passive or Pultec. It kind of fit in the middle, which while I like it on a female vocal in a mix (among other things), it was not what I was looking for for mastering.

Also I felt that the knobs were a little too touchy for mastering. It was difficult to make moves as small as I wanted. Overall I say it's a great EQ, but there are others better suited to mastering. The mastering version takes care of the control issue, but it's quite a bit more money.
www.studiometronome.com
30th May 2008
Old 30th May 2008
Lives for gear

So far my biggest problem is restraining myself with it. I want to crank those knobs! Oh my.
lucey
Verified Member
30th May 2008
Old 30th May 2008
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
So far my biggest problem is restraining myself with it. I want to crank those knobs! Oh my.
I remember my first beer ...
Lagerfeldt
Verified Member
30th May 2008
Old 30th May 2008
Audio Alchemist

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfrigo View Post

Also I felt that the knobs were a little too touchy for mastering. It was difficult to make moves as small as I wanted.
Right.
30th May 2008
Old 30th May 2008
Lives for gear

It is somewhat colored...it's a bit soft and set back, in an old-school sense. It sounds sort of like very high end vinyl to me in a way...you know how the cymbals get this sort of delightful softness? The passive high shelf is really really silky and I see why people think it's the star of the show. But none of the bands are poor at all.

Anyway it's a very fine EQ and I can totally see why you'd want more precision for a mastering piece (so they came out with the AD2077) but "in a pinch" this definitely doesn't suck for mastering and I'm having trouble figuring out what lucky part gets it at mix time (the vocal and solo instrument? the drums? the bus?).
lucey
Verified Member
30th May 2008
Old 30th May 2008
Gear Guru

Verified Member
+1

It's a cool mix eq. I like it more than most for midrange instruments, horns and folky strings.
Mastering Engineer - The Black Keys, Arctic Monkeys, Ray LaMontagne, Chet Faker, Mary Lambert, The Soft White Sixites, Bombino, Hanni El Khatib, The Shins, Dr. John, The Growlers, The Sheepdogs, David Lynch, Beck, Sigur Ros, Newsted and 1000s of others.

Spiral Groove - Studio One - a truly useful nearfield mixing speaker
31st May 2008
Old 31st May 2008
Lives for gear

Come to think of it, this might be THE saxophone EQ...I'm just thinking in my mind how it would treat the sax...man...

Need some sax solos stat!
31st May 2008
Old 31st May 2008
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post

+1.5 at 32k when flat
hi lucey
could you please explain.
do you use the passive or active part? shelf or bell?
... as i remember (not in the studio right now) my 2055 goes not so high!?!

michael
lucey
Verified Member
31st May 2008
Old 31st May 2008
Gear Guru

Verified Member
I don't recall the test details exactly but I once measured the I/O response of the 2055. There is some 'air' added by the unit even when set to flat. It's not just subjective, there is a very high boost that happens when it's active, and all gains are at 0.
31st May 2008
Old 31st May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
I don't recall the test details exactly but I once measured the I/O response of the 2055. There is some 'air' added by the unit even when set to flat. It's not just subjective, there is a very high boost that happens when it's active, and all gains are at 0.
They do claim 500KHz frequency response through the thing. Testing for your ultrasonic peak shouldn't be too hard though...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search