Subscribe
lucey
Verified Member
21st March 2007
Old 21st March 2007
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Elysia Alpha

Has anyone used the unit since I first posted? Unique features used this week that worked fast and well ...

*Auto fast attack (silent in, then out) for a repeating drum fill that was over the top (side only)
*Auto fast release for one section that was over compressed (mid only)
*Soft Clip - used to fatten the K/Sn on overcompressed material that they wanted super loud.
*Mid eq tilt - thinned below 250, used with mid compression (LPass at 250) to slightly tighten the center channel where stereo comp or eq didn't do it.

It's not getting old, the opposite in fact. Now I'm thinking things like ... "in 20 years will they still have pots?"
Mastering Engineer Recent #1 records: The Black Keys "Turn Blue", Ray LaMontagne "Supernova", Chet Faker "Built on Glass", Arctic Monkeys "AM"

Spiral Groove - Studio One - a truly useful nearfield mixing speaker
22nd March 2007
Old 22nd March 2007
Lives for gear

Not used it personally, but I have listened to it 2-3 times at a friend
of mine's studio.

He is very impressed with it and how easy it is to get a great sound.

"Dr Behringers I presume? No it's a copy!"
"ken lee... tulibu dibu douchoo"
"It's not 96khz idiot, it's 96hz. Now who sounds dumb?...Yu"
" Hello! Is it ME your looking for?"
- Bob Katz : "This loudness race is self-defeating. I'm using Thomson sub-machine guns on folk music now."
http://www.byd-media.net/om.mp3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KsFz...layer_embedded
Tim Farrant
Verified Member
22nd March 2007
Old 22nd March 2007

Verified Member
There was a review in the lastest Resolution magazine by Nigel Jopson and he made the comment "tends to accentuate hi-hats and splattery HF with more extreme settings..."

Have you noticed this at all Lucey?

Tim.

Visit Buzz Audio - Facebook
lucey
Verified Member
22nd March 2007
Old 22nd March 2007
Gear Guru

Verified Member
I dont use a lot of compression Tim, maybe 1-2 db (Mid) at the most, so I can't speak to what he was doing at "extreme settings".

If he was using the EQ tilt then I would say yes it gets more 'active' sounding with the eq in ... not quite like Avalon's surface mount smear, or even the midrange of the IBIS ... and it's nothing like SPLs Passeq (which has an IC sound to the gain path, and yet soft inductors). It is neutral but not soft neutral like an inductor eq. It's an "Active neutral" ... hows that for the EQ's effect? I've come to like using S EQ only to pop things out, but almost never both M and S as it's too hard. So no it's not invisible, the eq tilt, but can be very musical.

The actual gain path is very neutral, flatter than anything I've heard or tested at low gains. The sound it has is pleasing, subtle as it is. You should really try it and see... the engineering is respectable to say the least. From talking to them this was a 10 year dream of the designer. No compromises.

(the Feed Forward mode could bring in distortion if slammed ... but that's the point of that mode ... that I never use)
22nd April 2008
Old 22nd April 2008
Lives for gear

Hi Brian,
It looks like you have the unit for a year by now. I guess it's your one and only compressor or do you still find use for an other one ?

I'm having the monster on trial this week (after a demo by 'the Elysians' last week).

First impression: a firm kick in the bud and an almost overwhelming amount of possibilities.

I'm comparing it to my STC-8 constantly, to see if it's a sensible replacement.
Not that i'm unhappy with that one, on the contrary, but the easy parallel and m/s modes on the Alpha drew my attention.

So in terms of possibilities, it's almost a no-brainer. Sound wise, it's very clean and it can produce a real tight push in the low end.
For now, i can't get the snap of (drum) attacks quite as bright as the Crane it seems. Probably need a bit more time with it...

Interesting how both hi- and low-pass can work well on the side-chain.

Peter van't Riet
FineTune Mastering
lucey
Verified Member
23rd April 2008
Old 23rd April 2008
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by finetuner View Post
Hi Brian,
It looks like you have the unit for a year by now. I guess it's your one and only compressor or do you still find use for an other one ?
This unit completed my long search for the right chain for my ear and style of working. The simplicity of this chain is a relief, and it's really working well. If no compression is needed, the Alpha has a relay bypass, so I'm all hard wired.

I don't color with compression anymore, that's a mixers job, or I use tube EQ ... so yes the Alpha is the only compression, when compression is needed. For super clean and the most simple MS adjust, switch off the direct signal, and set the threshold and ratios counter clockwise, then adjust only one of the gains up. For compression, the thing you need to play with first is the Mid SC, either to grab based on the low end, or to not grab based on the low end. That's the starting point for the unit as a compressor. There are many tricks and tunings that can happen around that decision, but that's always my first thought, after deciding that some compression is needed.

Tim, back to your question ... it's far cleaner than the STC8 I used to use, or the p38 that replaced the STC. The STC is soft on top and round on the bottom, the P38 is veiled, in comparison.
26th April 2008
Old 26th April 2008
Gear addict

Someone has an idea of the price of that beast in Europe?
26th April 2008
Old 26th April 2008
Lives for gear

€8000,- approx (excl. VAT)

Peter
27th April 2008
Old 27th April 2008
Lives for gear

ouch...
27th April 2008
Old 27th April 2008
mymixisbetterthanyours!

alpha-comp

Ruben from Elysia was so kind to bring one of the alphas to my studio for checking it out.
It's simply the best mastering comp I've ever used (my own 'favorite' being the CL1B, and having extensively used the Fairman TMC)!
It's incredibly cool!
But, at the moment, no € 8000,- left for that device :-( ...
27th April 2008
Old 27th April 2008
Mastering

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
Ruben from Elysia was so kind to bring one of the alphas to my studio for checking it out.
It's simply the best mastering comp I've ever used (my own 'favorite' being the CL1B, and having extensively used the Fairman TMC)!
It's incredibly cool!
But, at the moment, no € 8000,- left for that device :-( ...
I thank Brian Lucey for pointing this unit out. I am impressed by the specs and philosophy of the alpha. I'd put it on my short list when we have the budget and the chance to listen!

BK

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
22nd May 2008
Old 22nd May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob katz View Post
I thank Brian Lucey for pointing this unit out. I am impressed by the specs and philosophy of the alpha. I'd put it on my short list when we have the budget and the chance to listen!

BK
It is one of rare truly designers products in high end audio,
Although I don't do too much mastering and have plenty of great comps in arsenal, I've found it's impossible to get rid of Alpha tutt once you put your hands on it.
It happenned only several times with gears in my life (Brauner VM1 KHE, Gordon preamp, Bill Lawrence pick ups, Bruno guitar amp, TAB V72S and very few others)
22nd May 2008
Old 22nd May 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Tibbon Send a message via Skype™ to Tibbon
God this thing is awesome. I check it out just on headphones while at AES 07 and omfg. I was shocked. I heard lots of cool products that day, but this was a new level.
23rd May 2008
Old 23rd May 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
The samples I heard of this unit sounded horrible, it sounds so plastic to me. But that was just a first impression. Give me smooth optical any day over ultra modern robot.

inlinenl
Verified Member
23rd May 2008
Old 23rd May 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I played a few hours with it on a dance track ( so not really a fair shoot-out ) .... It just did not sound like a compressor ... they need a lot off options on this box to make you buy it ... it just did not do any compressor mojo on the track IMHO .. it's to clean, and for that I'll take any day the Weiss DS1-MK2 even with the up-sampling when working in 44.1Khz. On a accoustic track it it sounded pretty okay ... but for that money ... it better should be. it is just not my cup off tea ..
I want a compressor to sound like a compressor, that's one off the reasons I use a comp. I really lushed for some fatness, some vibe like a tubetech smc-2b when twisting/turning the threshold on the elysia, some punchyness of a c2 with the sidechain enabled, or just the single-malt flavour off a manley, nothing there for me.

it's like a BMW motorbike , and I jut love Ducati
23rd May 2008
Old 23rd May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post
The samples I heard of this unit sounded horrible, it sounds so plastic to me. But that was just a first impression. Give me smooth optical any day over ultra modern robot.
Gimme excellent condition 1959 Mercedes 300 SL over Bugatti Veyron.
Both in 1 M bux ballpark, both allow humans to move from point A to point B with less efforts than by foot.
Actually, I like them both
inlinenl
Verified Member
23rd May 2008
Old 23rd May 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
Gimme excellent condition 1959 Mercedes 300 SL over Bugatti Veyron.
Both in 1 M bux ballpark, both allow humans to move from point A to point B with less efforts than by foot.
Actually, I like them both
GYang, I read that the standard off living really progressed since the last time I was there ( 1981 )
lucey
Verified Member
24th May 2008
Old 24th May 2008
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlinenl View Post
I want a compressor to sound like a compressor, that's one off the reasons I use a comp. I really lushed for some fatness, some vibe like a tubetech smc-2b when twisting/turning the threshold on the elysia, some punchyness of a c2 with the sidechain enabled, or just the single-malt flavour off a manley, nothing there for me.
It's clean but not lifeless like the Weiss, that's why I like it's tone. Compression is to me about dynamics. Color compression is another story. The ability to simultaneously tweak MS, while compressing the M only over 500 and tilting the side EQ down below 200, adding an analog limiter, and running the cleanest active parallel ever (active parallel is different than the 'bloated' passive) is what this box is about. So small gains that add up, fast and easy to use, 'clean' but not sterile. It was never meant to be the kind of compression you like.
24th May 2008
Old 24th May 2008
Lives for gear

I've tested the mpressor and what can I say about the sound...the compression style is versatile, good for many styles. It has that "german" punch and analog warmth, something like an old Virus B synthesizer (maybe not so good comparision). It's clean, a little bit saturated in a very clean way, has ability for detailed controlling of the sound, but produces some artefacts using short release times... I know, no tubes, no opto, but this should not happen with such a classy unit. For the sound, I would not replace it with my SMC2B and Glory Comps.

I'm going to test full alpha on Tuesday, will posts some impressions here...
lucey
Verified Member
24th May 2008
Old 24th May 2008
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by yareck View Post
It's clean, a little bit saturated in a very clean way, has ability for detailed controlling of the sound, but produces some artefacts using short release times... I know, no tubes, no opto, but this should not happen with such a classy unit. For the sound, I would not replace it with my SMC2B and Glory Comps.
The Mpressor was designed to make to make artifacts at extreme settings. It's capable of more aggressive actions in a mix. Mixers found the Alpha boring so they juice it up on the Mpressor.
27th May 2008
Old 27th May 2008
Lives for gear

I've just tested the Alpha, it was a short test, but here are my impressions.
Of course there is no "dirt" which is present in Mpressor.
Some of that dirt effect may be added by using Soft Clipping, I'm not sure this is the same effect though.
Like Brian said at the beginning, this is no whole new impression after the STC8. However the sound is different.
Besides all those interesting features and blinking lights, there is 1 thing missing for me. The sound of tube'y and opto units has more open and warmer character than Elysia. That's what I mainly look for in hardware units. I think that the next revision (if there will be any) should contain a tube or opto option (not only the tube gain stage , then maybe spending 8k EUR would be more reasonable.
inlinenl
Verified Member
27th May 2008
Old 27th May 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Nice observation Yareck,

maybe it sounds a bit German, like SCOOTER says " it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice"

on accoustic music it ( elysia ) revealed nicely details in the upper-mids ... I thought "He what's that"

Like lucey said, it's not the kind off compression I am looking for ( at this moment ) ...
28th May 2008
Old 28th May 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:

maybe it sounds a bit German, like SCOOTER says " it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice"
10th June 2008
Old 10th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yareck View Post
I think that the next revision (if there will be any) should contain a tube or opto option (not only the tube gain stage , then maybe spending 8k EUR would be more reasonable.
It is hardly reasonable to spend 8k Eur on almost invisible compression, but it would not be non-compromise concept to add 'cheap tricks' just to get love from wider audience.
1,3-1,5 k Eur can buy nice colored compressor, so adding that to 8 k sounds reasonable, if 'character' is objective.
13th June 2008
Old 13th June 2008
Lives for gear

UBK showed me the Alpha at PotLuckCon last weekend.

Crap ......

........ local college is fine for the boys, honey
inlinenl
Verified Member
13th June 2008
Old 13th June 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Hi Doug,

do you like you're maselec multiband ... does it get a lot off use ... ??
just curious.
13th June 2008
Old 13th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Doug,

do you like you're maselec multiband ... does it get a lot off use ... ??
just curious.
Yes it does -- saved my arse yesturday in fact. The Alpha is a very different animal both very powerful.
William Bowden
Verified Member
1st October 2010
Old 1st October 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
So here's an ancient thread to resurrect, but Brian's original question still stands. Is anyone into the Alpha at all?

Anyone?

The King

"As it is apparent that this forum has hit the depths this is my final contribution to it" - Barry3™
jackthebear
Verified Member
1st October 2010
Old 1st October 2010
Gear addict

Verified Member
Send a message via AIM to jackthebear Send a message via Skype™ to jackthebear
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Bowden View Post
Is anyone into the Alpha at all?

Anyone?

The King
No.
Virtalahde
Verified Member
1st October 2010
Old 1st October 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
What's the point in that ash tray in the middle of the front panel?
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Virtal...g/278311633180

Virtalähde Mastering, the studio construction thread: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/photo...ing-house.html
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search