AEA R84
Golden Age Project R1 aktiv
Oktava ML52

Thanks
Robert
18th December 2006
Old 18th December 2006
Gear Head

I have a modified ML52 (Lundahl transformer and physical modifications from a Tape Op issue a while back). It's interesting, but currently it doesn't get a whole lot of use. It has a dark character that gets a lot of the lower midrange detail. Mine doesn't handle the loud spl's well, another might do better. The housing material and cage rings badly. Rather good on trumpet (minus the spl issue). Not bad on saxophone and other sources but with all the modifications, there's probably better options that wouldn't cost as much time or effort. If your like me though, the modifications are have the fun.

I also have a APEX 210 Ribbon (modified with a Cinemag transformer and removal of protective screening) that seems to do a better job at most things. Though I won't be giving up the ML52 any time soon.
19th December 2006
Old 19th December 2006
Gear maniac

AEA84... I'm REALLY impressed with this mic... Has great high end for a ribbon,... or for a lot of mics really.
If you're working with quiet sources, you'll need lots of gain... helps to have impedance adjustment on pre...

What would you use it for?
19th December 2006
Old 19th December 2006
Lives for gear

I think for a low ender that an AEA R92 will get you a lot more mileage. It looks cool. It seems more versatile than other ribbons to me.
19th December 2006
Old 19th December 2006
Gear maniac

really liked the R84
Blacky
19th December 2006
Old 19th December 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windshore View Post
AEA84... I'm REALLY impressed with this mic... Has great high end for a ribbon,... or for a lot of mics really.
If you're working with quiet sources, you'll need lots of gain... helps to have impedance adjustment on pre...

What would you use it for?
Yes i know! My pre at this time is A-Designs MP2, Voxbox and Focusrite Octopre + all Uad1 plugs.
I want to see how works on vocal. 1 month i should record a second CD from a guy he has a thin voice. For 3month we recorded a CD on a Brauner Phantom C with all Voxbox stuff. But it was not really fantastic to me. The Brauner was very hard on this voice. Is good for Rap. So i will check it out with a ribbon mic.
Thanks
Robert
Blacky
19th December 2006
Old 19th December 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbert1 View Post
I have a modified ML52 (Lundahl transformer and physical modifications from a Tape Op issue a while back). It's interesting, but currently it doesn't get a whole lot of use. It has a dark character that gets a lot of the lower midrange detail. Mine doesn't handle the loud spl's well, another might do better. The housing material and cage rings badly. Rather good on trumpet (minus the spl issue). Not bad on saxophone and other sources but with all the modifications, there's probably better options that wouldn't cost as much time or effort. If your like me though, the modifications are have the fun.

I also have a APEX 210 Ribbon (modified with a Cinemag transformer and removal of protective screening) that seems to do a better job at most things. Though I won't be giving up the ML52 any time soon.

I let it go i think and buy another!
Thanks!
Robert
19th December 2006
Old 19th December 2006
Jai guru deva om

I love the R84, period. Very versatile ribbon with a depth to it and bigness I enjoy. The top end is surprisingly "sweet" as well, and takes EQ very well.

War

19th December 2006
Old 19th December 2006
Gear addict

Another vote for r84, since I got it close to a year ago I haven't really been reaching for other mics so much, it just works (for me)
19th December 2006
Old 19th December 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
I let it go i think and buy another!
Thanks!
Robert
Huh?
Blacky
1st February 2007
Old 1st February 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbert1 View Post

HI qbert1 !
Thanks for this information!
Had bought an aktiv riboon mic and a Lundahl transformer, so can you tell me where i put the transformer? I think to put it before the XLR out ?
Your thread inspired me to upgrade my new ribbon!
Thanks

Jesus loves you!
1st February 2007
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

I always put up a ribbon on guitar cabs, right next to a sm57, or i5. (Plus a room mic, but that's another thread.) When it's time to mix, one might sound better than the other, or a blend might work, or you might use the ribbon in the verses and the 57/i5 in the chorus or solo. It's nice to have options.
1st February 2007
Old 1st February 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan View Post
I always put up a ribbon on guitar cabs, right next to a sm57, or i5. (Plus a room mic, but that's another thread.) When it's time to mix, one might sound better than the other, or a blend might work, or you might use the ribbon in the verses and the 57/i5 in the chorus or solo. It's nice to have options.
Yes, in few weeks i will try it (on guitar cabs) with one SM57 and one aktiv ribbon through an A-Designs Pre.
1st February 2007
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

My ML52 had insane low end - which was nice for a room mic....but it was not very useful on most sources. In the end I sold it.
GS fun: people who can't drive ask other people who can't drive if they should buy a 12 ton truck or a BMW. Then ask somebody from Berlin (with a map of Moscow) for the way to the train station in Hongkong. Somebody stresses the importance of grabbing the steering wheel with one hand only, as Bruce Swedien was reported to have done that 1986, while reversing into his driveway.
If want to check some tasteful piece of art I was involved, here: https://soundcloud.com/frans_13/organtransplant
1st February 2007
Old 1st February 2007
Gear interested

Send a message via AIM to beq00000 Send a message via Yahoo to beq00000
I've worked with the AEA R84. Great mic all the way around. It's become my go-to mic for vocals.
1st February 2007
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan View Post
So you place the ribbon exactly next to the 57 for double micing an amp? SO both the mics are facing towards the same speaker? Rather than 2 mics sperated facing at each speaker respectively?
1st February 2007
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
Yes i know! My pre at this time is A-Designs MP2, Voxbox and Focusrite Octopre + all Uad1 plugs.
I want to see how works on vocal. 1 month i should record a second CD from a guy he has a thin voice. For 3month we recorded a CD on a Brauner Phantom C with all Voxbox stuff. But it was not really fantastic to me. The Brauner was very hard on this voice. Is good for Rap. So i will check it out with a ribbon mic.
Thanks
Robert
the 84 will definately thicken up a thin voice. definately!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search