A good all round Preamp under $1300 AUS
Old 23rd November 2006
  #1
Lives for gear
 
beau_mckee's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
A good all round Preamp under $1300 AUS

Hi,
i have no idea what to look for in a good preamp. I am using an mbox at the moment, sm57 for guitars and 2 MANN M21's for overheads. I want a preamp that will be good for vocals, drums etc. even for 6months down the track when i get the 002R i want a good preamp to do snare, kick, vocals, guitar cabs, and really the less i spend the better.

So basically can anyone help point me in the right direction to look? im really lost! From $400 to $1300 AUS there would be a nice quality/price ratio to go on to help me also! And i dont mind if its 8 channels, or 2 channels, i plan to expand in the future.
2nd of all how do i make the preamp go into my spdif input on my mbox 1? i know it can only do 4 channels max, but i wouldnt mind waiting for the 002 to use the extras.

thanks gearslutz gang
Beau

Last edited by beau_mckee; 23rd November 2006 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: left out info
Old 23rd November 2006
  #2
Lives for gear
 
jdjustice's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee View Post
Hi,
i have no idea what to look for in a good preamp. I am using an mbox at the moment, sm57 for guitars and 2 MANN M21's for overheads. I want a preamp that will be good for vocals, drums etc. even for 6months down the track when i get the 002R i want a good preamp to do snare, kick, vocals, guitar cabs, and really the less i spend the better.

So basically can anyone help point me in the right direction to look? im really lost! From $400 to $1300 AUS there would be a nice quality/price ratio to go on to help me also! And i dont mind if its 8 channels, or 2 channels, i plan to expand in the future.

for one channel, there is the UA SOLO/110 or SOLO/610 (i recommend the SOLO/110) which will run you about $1040 AUS, and then IMO even better is the Great River ME-1NV which is just above your budget at $1390 AUS. these are just one-channel preamps but they will last a lifetime and IMO are worth the extra investment. i don't see that many great preamps that are better than those on the Mbox costing less than $1000 AUS. YMMV but that's my humble opinion; others will disagree i'm sure.


EDIT: there is the FMR RNP which costs $610 AUS and is supposed to be good and is two-channel.
i just haven't used it myself.


cheers,
~j.d.

Last edited by jdjustice; 23rd November 2006 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: addendum
Old 23rd November 2006
  #3
Gear nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee View Post
Hi,
i have no idea what to look for in a good preamp. I am using an mbox at the moment, sm57 for guitars and 2 MANN M21's for overheads. I want a preamp that will be good for vocals, drums etc. even for 6months down the track when i get the 002R i want a good preamp to do snare, kick, vocals, guitar cabs, and really the less i spend the better.

So basically can anyone help point me in the right direction to look? im really lost! From $400 to $1300 AUS there would be a nice quality/price ratio to go on to help me also! And i dont mind if its 8 channels, or 2 channels, i plan to expand in the future.
2nd of all how do i make the preamp go into my spdif input on my mbox 1? i know it can only do 4 channels max, but i wouldnt mind waiting for the 002 to use the extras.

thanks gearslutz gang
Beau

There are so many pre amp topics on here, you can read for days and take for ever to make a decsion!


But being an Aussie i would look at the Sebatron stuff (www.sebatron.com). 100% Aussie made, good value with great service and fast delivery! Been using a friends VMP1000e for the past couple of weeks, with great results.

Going to be picking the newest model to their range. the Maximus, in a week or 2...

Have a look at their site, they have a few models to choose.
Old 23rd November 2006
  #4
Lives for gear
 

im trying to work out the same thing, prices in australia just suck.

UA 110/610 list for $1400
great river lists for $1800
RNP lists for $950
The Brick lists $800
Chameleon Labs Model 7602 is $1100
seberton VMP1000 is about $1100

JLM BA2 might be more in your price range if you want to try your hand at putting something together. im not on price to have them pre built.

an origional mbox can only take 2 channel input. to use spdif you need an external converter.
Old 23rd November 2006
  #5
Gear nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_techie View Post
im trying to work out the same thing, prices in australia just suck.

UA 110/610 list for $1400
great river lists for $1800
RNP lists for $950
The Brick lists $800
Chameleon Labs Model 7602 is $1100
seberton VMP1000 is about $1100

JLM BA2 might be more in your price range if you want to try your hand at putting something together. im not on price to have them pre built.

an origional mbox can only take 2 channel input. to use spdif you need an external converter.
sometimes its cheaper to buy from the US. you can get a RNP with the RNLA and a fuzzy logic front with Delivery for just a bit more the Aussie list price for the RNP. $71.00 US delivery with UPS. And it comes in at under $1000AU, so u don't have to pay any import tax!


Its a joke here the extra we pay!
Old 23rd November 2006
  #6
Lives for gear
 
beau_mckee's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
you guys are awesome. ive heard www.sweetwater.com is not bad for buying stuff off, its also free shipping. So how much am i looking at to get a converter for spdif?
Old 23rd November 2006
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee View Post
you guys are awesome. ive heard www.sweetwater.com is not bad for buying stuff off, its also free shipping. So how much am i looking at to get a converter for spdif?
Call these guys before you buy


Dont forget: Calistro music.com
Mercenary audio
Atlas pro audio
Old 24th November 2006
  #8
Gear interested
 
DanHack's Avatar
 

I've just started tracking (vox, ac guit, bass) with my newly acquired Sebatron VMP, and I'm really pleased with it so far. Definately worth checking out..

Dan
Old 24th November 2006
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Andrew Kinsey's Avatar
 

As your in Australia, you might want to see if you can demo some Sebatron preamps.

They make affordable 'high quality' multi channel valve and solid state preamps, and they even have a hybrid unit called the Maximus that has an independant solid state and valve stage.

www.sebatron.com

Old 24th November 2006
  #10
Gear nut
 
thecount_x's Avatar
 

Be careful when looking at free shipping. That often applies only within the United States. I'm in Canada and geographically closer to many of the retailers than most Americans and I get hit with international rates. You would probably not ship for free from Oz to the US. The prices may negate the shipping costs but plan on paying through the a** to move the gear.
Old 24th November 2006
  #11
Gear nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kinsey View Post
As your in Australia, you might want to see if you can demo some Sebatron preamps.

They make affordable 'high quality' multi channel valve and solid state preamps, and they even have a hybrid unit called the Maximus that has an independant solid state and valve stage.

www.sebatron.com

I'll second Sebatron! I said in my earlier post for the money, these are a great product. And free shipping as well, as they are an Australian brand...
Old 24th November 2006
  #12
Moderator
 
matt thomas's Avatar
 

definitely sebatron

narco
Old 24th November 2006
  #13
Gear addict
 
drycounty's Avatar
 

If you are in AUS I would also try the stuff at JLM Audio:

http://jlmaudio.com/

I think they are in Melbourne. Some of his stuff looks insane, I'd love to be able to try it out.
Old 24th November 2006
  #14
Lives for gear
 

Buzz Audio SSA-1.1
Old 25th November 2006
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozraves View Post
Buzz Audio SSA-1.1
you dont want to know the price of them in Aus
anyone know of prices direct from buzz?
Old 26th November 2006
  #16
Gear addict
 

1ch Sebatron VMP 1000e $990
1ch Sebatron VMP 1000eVU $1150
2ch Sebatron VMP 2000e $1450 (if you can stretch it for an extra channel)
1ch Sebatron Maximus $1150
1ch Chameleon Labs 7602 $1100
1ch Chandler Germanium $1400 (secondhand from Nick aka "Aearth")


Graeme will tune in and let you know of the Buzz Audio pricing.
Old 26th November 2006
  #17
Gear addict
 
Liam Judah's Avatar
 

Don't know if it's been said... but you may be able to get quality beyond your budget if you don't mind going the used route. Check the boards in here... there are usually some good deals to be had.

Good luck!
Old 26th November 2006
  #18
Gear nut
 

The D.A.V. BG1 is a nice dual-channel preamp with a heritage. The price is quite low for what it is, putting it somewhere in the middle of your range.

I think starting out on the nice preamp route you might be wise to start with a dual unit.
Old 26th November 2006
  #19
Lives for gear
 
johnwayne's Avatar
 

{The output level is pretty high with intended peaks to +21dBu, so this is not the ideal preamp to match with semi-professional recorders. Operating at a lower output level, while obviously possible, is not recommended, as it will compromise the noise performance significantly. So, professional recorders and A-D converters only please!}

Quote from SOS

Could someone explain what this means?

Is it saying the output needs to be fairly high for the signal to take advantage of the preamps charactaristics?

I would use a Mbox2 and run it in to the 1/4" in.

Could someone elaborate more on the comment?
Old 26th November 2006
  #20
Lives for gear
 
heathen's Avatar
 

I'd recommend the Daking mic pre/eq, it's about $1800 and sounds exceptional plus you get an extremely sweet eq too. Only 1 channel though. Or get a lunch box and some 500 series modules.

Legacy Audio has the Daking stuff
Old 27th November 2006
  #21
Gear addict
it's about what is the maximum input of your converters - says in the specifications of the m box2 that max input is +21DB so theoretically should be ok - if you're say getting around -3db on the dav, the output will be around +18, so you need a converter with a max input above that otherwise it'll distort at the converter stage. +22 is generally what you'd expect from so called professional gear rather than prosumer.
Old 1st December 2006
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Andrew Kinsey's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCains View Post
1ch Sebatron VMP 1000e $990
1ch Sebatron VMP 1000eVU $1150
2ch Sebatron VMP 2000e $1450 (if you can stretch it for an extra channel)
1ch Sebatron Maximus $1150
1ch Chameleon Labs 7602 $1100
1ch Chandler Germanium $1400 (secondhand from Nick aka "Aearth")


Graeme will tune in and let you know of the Buzz Audio pricing.
Dont forget the 2 Channel Sebatron Cygnus, believe its streets for $890 USD.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
M_Teus / Rap + Hip Hop engineering & production
5
Broken / Bass traps, acoustic panels, foam etc
11
Blood_duster / So much gear, so little time!
14
RobDex / So much gear, so little time!
6

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.