??FMR RNP vs. Grace 101??
OKCSTUDIOS
20th November 2006
Old 20th November 2006
Gear Head

??FMR RNP vs. Grace 101??

Okay i'm looking into getting one of the pre's i can get the rnp for $475 here online or i can get the grace 101 for $500 at GC. I'll be using it on an sm7b and rode ntk mainly for hip/hop vocals. Which one would YOU get??
20th November 2006
Old 20th November 2006
Lives for gear

Grace is one channel

RNP is 2 channel

I believe the Grace is cleaner, but the RNP isnt real colored either.

Would you benefit from a 2 channel?

I know they are both good sounding...
OKCSTUDIOS
20th November 2006
Old 20th November 2006
Gear Head

No i wouldn't benefit from a 2 channel at the moment but it would be nice to have a 2 channel for sometime in the future, right?
20th November 2006
Old 20th November 2006
Lives for gear

FWIW, I love my RNP. I do not have the Grace 101, nor have I used it. My only gripe with the RNP is that it has 6db gain steps. I also found the pots to be a bit "under engineered". They keep falling off and you have to use a cumbersome allen wrench to tighten them back up. BTW, FMR admits all this right on their website. All of this being said, I absolutely believe that for $475.00 getting 2 channels is a huge bang for your buck. It sounds great. Perhaps the biggest plus in my book is that when you call them up on the phone, you get to talk to the guy who designed the thing. I had a hard time hooking mine up when i got it and I got to talk directly to Mark for some help.
OKCSTUDIOS
21st November 2006
Old 21st November 2006
Gear Head

Yea it is nice to actualy deal with small companies like that where you know they havent sold out to mass production...but i'm traped in the middle because i keep reading two different stories on this forum...like the grace 101 is a step above the RNP, but yet the RNP is an insane deal.

So i dont know, I need some realy good feedback from users of both products.

Grace 101-$500 or FMR RNP $475?????
21st November 2006
Old 21st November 2006
Lives for gear

I've owned both.

For what you're wanting I'd probably pick the Grace between these two. It puts a much bigger image in the monitors.
OKCSTUDIOS
21st November 2006
Old 21st November 2006
Gear Head

Ok, thats 1 for the RNP and 1 for the Grace....again stuck in the middle..LOL

So lets go best 2/3 next best suggestion takes it...whats the verdict?
21st November 2006
Old 21st November 2006
Lives for gear

Get the RNP.....either way you wont lose, thats what you need to realize. You probably need to be onto some trackin'!!!

Neither is "better" than the other, so unless you buy both now, buy one and get goin!!!
21st November 2006
Old 21st November 2006
Lives for gear

I'm here to tell ya. It's 475 vs 500 but you get 2 channels for 475. I know you think you only need 1 channel but what about stereo man!
21st November 2006
Old 21st November 2006
Gear addict

I like the RNP better myself...
OKCSTUDIOS
21st November 2006
Old 21st November 2006
Gear Head

So the Really Nice Pre?? going once...going twice.........????

any more???
21st November 2006
Old 21st November 2006
Lives for gear

Do it.

I will sign the Purchase Order.

Going 3 times.............GONE!
OKCSTUDIOS
21st November 2006
Old 21st November 2006
Gear Head

LOL..So go with the RNP huh....okay i'm gonna sleep on it and if anyone else has any input i'd appreciate it.
21st November 2006
Old 21st November 2006
Lives for gear

The thing is, alot of people make purchase decisions thinking they will never be able to make another purchase again.........buy another one in 6 months!!

Start with the RNC, or the Grace....

That way you will be able to record something, with a good pre!
OKCSTUDIOS
21st November 2006
Old 21st November 2006
Gear Head

True, and i'm going to be purchasing one of these real soon(within this week) but i just wanted to know if there were some people who could honestly say one is worth the money more than the other.

I guess the real question is do i want to buy offline or thru GC...only thing is my man at GC "claims" he can only get the RNP for $550 and the grace for $500..he is supposed to be checking if he can do any better on the RNP, but he doesnt know...
21st November 2006
Old 21st November 2006
Lives for gear

The guy at Guitar Center is BS'ing you on the FMR RNP. He is not a dealer. They have a limited number of dealers. If you want one, then try www.mercenary.com or www.humbuckermusic.com I got no complaints about the local GC here in OKC but you got to know what you want and what things cost before you go in there.

You might also look for a Presonus Eureka. Some think of it as the poor man's Millenia. eBay prices tend to be around $300 used.
OKCSTUDIOS
21st November 2006
Old 21st November 2006
Gear Head

Yes sir that is true which is why i told him he was crazy because i can get it all over the internet for $475 even ebay...but when i told him that ofcourse what do you think he said...."man im gonna try to see if i can do better, i dont want you to buy off the net instead of with us.

So i'm goin with the RNP...thanks every one for ur advice!
21st November 2006
Old 21st November 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCSTUDIOS View Post
LOL..So go with the RNP huh....okay i'm gonna sleep on it and if anyone else has any input i'd appreciate it.
but you haven't slept on it yet!
21st November 2006
Old 21st November 2006
Lives for gear

I've become a believer in buying everything with at least 2 channels. Most every one channel pre and EQ that I've bought, I've either sold or bought a second one, so I could use it on a stereo source. Either way in the long run it cost me more buying a single channel. Either because buying 2 single channels costs more that one dual channel, or from taking a loss in the classifieds.

A perfect example... I have a Great River EQ-1NV in the classifieds that I might be keeping if I could put it on the master buss, or while tracking a stereo source. But, as a single channel it has limited utility to me. My mistake is someone else's gain.

Between the two, I'd go with the RNP for that reason alone, plus the fact that it's a good pre.
21st November 2006
Old 21st November 2006
Lives for gear

I am a big fan of twos also. Plus, the Grace would cost a grand down the road for 2 channel....
21st November 2006
Old 21st November 2006
Lives for gear

My Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCSTUDIOS View Post
Yea it is nice to actualy deal with small companies like that where you know they havent sold out to mass production...but i'm traped in the middle because i keep reading two different stories on this forum...like the grace 101 is a step above the RNP, but yet the RNP is an insane deal.
The RNP is overpriced. If it weren't for the RNC, and a lack of good competition in this price range, I don't think anyone would ever talk about the RNP. I personally think it's hardly any different from the Symetrix 302, which is a lot cheaper.

By the way, mass production often produces better overall manufacturing processes, not just efficiencies but improvements in component quality and quality control. Like the old joke goes, "I'm not selling out, I'm buying in!" It doesn't serve anyone, including yourself, to live by gross generalities.

For the original poster: if one channel is really all you need, you might do well to stretch your budget up to a Speck MicPre or a Great River ME-1NV, either of which can be a real difference-maker in your sound. I love the Grace, but I'm not sure it's the "one thing" for hip hop vocals.

JSL
21st November 2006
Old 21st November 2006
Rocket Scientist

You need a new GC sales contact, yours is not telling you the truth.

Personally, I would go with the Grace. The RNP is nice but the Grace is a freak'n awesome performer and you'll be halfway to owning a stereo pair of world class ultra transparent preamps. I like recording rock but I make a lot of money doing classical recordings for folks. You can talk up your RNP all you want but it will always be looked down on by any client with a clue.

If you don't want pristine uncolored audio then I'd get the Chameleon Labs 7602, it's got a wonderful transformer coupled mic pre and an incredible eq section. It costs a little more than what you're looking at but it's two processors for the price of one plus it has a fantastic instrument D.I. on it.
22nd November 2006
Old 22nd November 2006
Gear addict

Here comes the boring answer... but it doesn't have to be a hierarchy. Neither one can neccessarily be better becuase they are different (and of course everyones ears are different too). The RNP is a steal for 2 channels. Do you think you might ever come across a pair of drum overheads, a piano, or an acoustic guitar?
I have no direct experience with the Grace but it appears to be built more robustly (also sexier looking) is touted as being extremely un-colored (probably more so than the RNP) and I believe it is capable of more gain (important if you are using ribbons). The RNP does also tend to get a bit noisy at its very highest gain settings. Sorry to make things dificult, bu tlike someone else said - you wont go wrong with either of these.

Dan Fox
22nd November 2006
Old 22nd November 2006
Gear addict

oh, one more thought. Your GC dude CAN'T get you an RNP. So, tell him you'll walk unless he can give you the Grace for $450. That would be a deal.

Dan Fox
22nd November 2006
Old 22nd November 2006
Gear maniac

compared to the John Hardy M-1 with output transformers, the RNP didn't sound nice.
Go with John Hardy.
no frills and I think about 550 per channel
OKCSTUDIOS
22nd November 2006
Old 22nd November 2006
Gear Head

Ok the dude took off till like friday or monday or something, so i think hes gonna miss out on a sale but, any ways the john hardy? 550? where and what do i get for 550? I'm not completely understanding the website.

And does any one know of any other pre's in this price range that would go good with what im trying to do??? like $450-550, that is equal to or better than RNP or 101....and please not the Chameleon Labs.(out of budget 4 right now), Thanks.
22nd November 2006
Old 22nd November 2006
Gear maniac

alright. I was actually thinking about the price for the individual preamp cards (so not including the chasis and the power supply).
You can get the M-1 with 1-4 channels. Also, you have the option of getting the Jensen output transformer and the meter. I've got both, but I'd say to ditch the meter.
He's got a great product--I really don't think there's any need to pay more than what the john hardy preamps cost.
His philosophy is legit--he's not guitar center.
It may be a bit over your budget, but you really might want to save up a little longer.
I've compared these to the preamps in the 002, the RNP, various preamps in smaller mixers, the neve preamps at my old studio, the newest demeter tube preamp, the avalon.
It's great.
22nd November 2006
Old 22nd November 2006
Lives for gear

OKC,
You cant get the Hardy for 550 for 1 channel. Its around 1050 for a rack with one channel, that will accept 3 more cards (pre channels) with the same power supply. Each individual extra card is 550 each. He does sell a standalone single channel at 900 something bucks, but that may be out of your price range, PLUS you would have to buy another one at 900 bucks to get 2 channels. I almost went this route when I wanted the M-1 so bad, but Im glad I waited. I have 2 channels of Hardy now, and saved about 5oo bucks!

The M-1 rules, period. Its just not in the range you are/were looking at.
22nd November 2006
Old 22nd November 2006
Lives for gear

The grace is a fine pre. I haven't heard an RNP, so can't comment. If the grace was all I had I would be happy. I think you need to step back and asses your situation. Are you going to need more than one pre in the near future? What kind of situation would you use it in? Etc. If one channel is enough, get the grace, you'll be thrilled.
22nd November 2006
Old 22nd November 2006
Lives for gear

I hope you arent illuded to the fact that you will be done with the gear addiction after you buy either!!!

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search