Pro Tools 10 and Mavericks
Old 21st January 2014
Gear maniac

Pro Tools 10 and Mavericks

So Ive been waiting up update to Mavericks but have been waiting to do so because pro tools 10 is not officially supported due to issues with the uninstaller not working. Strangely enough pro tools 11 works with Mavericks and I have been hoping there will be an update for 10 users but as time has gone on I am skeptical that this will happen. If Avid makes you pay for an update, there going to make you pay when they know you have no option but to do that….does anyone have any insight on this issue? Ive looked at this page but thats about all the info I have.

Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) support for Media Composer, Pro Tools, Sibelius, EUCON and ISIS
Old 21st January 2014
Gear maniac

anyone?
Old 21st January 2014
Gear addict

I'm no Mac OS guru or anything but why even worry about Maverick? Every review I've read about it just says it's incredibly unstable for audio work. I'm still on Mountain Lion with no problems what-so-ever and one of my friends is still running Snow Leopard. Are you wanting to upgrade just because it's the new thing to upgrade to or do you have a specific reason?

Also, if that came across as cocky or offensive I didn't mean for it too. Just wondering if you know of any positives about Maverick that the reviews I've read don't mention or something.
Old 21st January 2014
Gear Head

Im using Pro tools 10.3.8 and 11 on Mavericks just fine. Im running it on my old 2010 macbook pro as well as the new 2013 macbook pro. I also have use it fine on a 2012 mac mini and 2010 mac pro with no issues
Old 21st January 2014
Gear maniac

Old 28th January 2014
Gear maniac

anyone else have any insight?
Old 28th January 2014
Gear addict

My wife is on Mavericks, I'm on Mountain Lion. Her issues (like the buggy sleep non-wake up deal) would drive me crazy. My issues = none thus far. Stay on Mt. Lion (IMO).
Old 28th January 2014
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrev View Post
My wife is on Mavericks, I'm on Mountain Lion. Her issues (like the buggy sleep non-wake up deal) would drive me crazy. My issues = none thus far. Stay on Mt. Lion (IMO).
im running PT 10 HD and Mavericks also got 11 just not installed... Only issue that i have experienced is: when importing audio sometimes volume gets lowered from 1 speaker until you reset output (even if it setting same output like: output 1-2) weird ass bug...

also uninstall does not work but i think if u used appcleaner it will

thats it... stupid reason for not supporting it but they might know of more bugs than me - been using it almost a month now i like mavericks slightly better than mountain lion so im happy
Old 28th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargodmiles View Post
Strangely enough pro tools 11 works with Mavericks and I have been hoping there will be an update for 10 users but as time has gone on I am skeptical that this will happen. If Avid makes you pay for an update, there going to make you pay when they know you have no option but to do that[/url]
PT11 was designed with Mavericks as the default OSX. It's not backwards compatible with earlier OSX platforms. Being the flagship program (and wanting as many customers as possible to jump on board) I think you'll find Avid will first release PT11.1 to fix any bugs with this latest software, then you'll see a PT10 update. I'd think any PT10 updates will still be some months away. In the meantime Mavericks is likely to be updated also.

Avid isn't exactly a company flush with cash at the moment, so their update capability is limited to the amount of programmers they can afford (and the amount of top programmers willing to stick around).
Old 28th January 2014
Gear nut

I have been running PT10 on Mavericks on my Macbook Air for about 3 weeks with no issues yet.
Old 29th January 2014
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Beats View Post
I'm no Mac OS guru or anything but why even worry about Maverick?
Maveriks is considered a securtity upgrade/patch by Apple. In other words NO MORE SECURITY PATCHES for older OS versions. So if your Mac is connected to the internet .. this is a big deal.
Old 29th January 2014
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by che_guitarra View Post

Avid isn't exactly a company flush with cash at the moment.

Have you seen their stocks lately????
Old 30th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Have you seen their stocks lately????
Yes. Avid is a company teetering on the edge of survival.
Old 30th January 2014
Church of UAD

Mavericks absolutely killed my portable rig. Studio rig stays with ML.
Old 30th January 2014
Lives for gear

I have both PT 10.3.8 and 11.1.2 working on Mavericks 10.9.1 on a Mac pro 4,1 and a Macbook pro late 2011 without issues. I have never had any issue with any plugin (and some are only validated to work till Snow Leopard), only the typical no avaliable AAX 64bits version of some of my plugins (the reason why I still I'm working in PT 10.3.8).
Old 30th January 2014
I don't have time or patience at the moment to go through what I went through jumping from PT8 to PT9 to (free upgrade) PT10. But it was so annoying that I am probably just paranoid. Also I am worried about my other multimedia production suites as well ... At least, I won't make the change - until I have all my reel to reels working. All kidding aside, I always wait some time before jumping into those waters. Although the next time I jump, I will likely ditch ProTools once and for all for another solution.
Old 9th February 2014
Gear maniac

Well, I might just have to go 11 then. I've seen people online say that they can't uninstall with/without the installer even while trying to remove root folders out of their computers library from pro tools once they go Mavericks. You can't roll back your operating system to mountain lion or lion. These horror stories result in backing up all files manually and reinstalling their OS along with all of their software. What a hassle, I'm glad a backup everything but still, I'd rather not go through the hassle of everything not working when a client shows up and then say ok, wait, I backup everything so just wait several hours until everything is restored!…

That new Avid 11 engine still looks pretty good with how cpu is balanced among the cores better along the software now being 64 bit :/ All that aside, even if Aviddoes goes under, which it very might well do, just like before with digidesign, (not sure if they just got bought out or went under and then the company was purchased) someone will buy the company and the legend will live on. I wonder who would buy Avid if it went under, hmmmm...
Old 12th February 2014
Gear interested

Please pardon me if this is a really stupid question, but if the uninstaller issue with PT 10.3.8 in Mavericks doesn't get resolved, what happens when I eventually upgrade to PT 11 and beyond? Will I simply have both versions on my system?
Old 12th February 2014
Lives for gear

Yes, but you can work with PT 10.3.8 and PT 11.1.2, like I'm doing ... problem? :P
Old 12th February 2014
Old 12th February 2014
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_HERALDO View Post
Yes, but you can work with PT 10.3.8 and PT 11.1.2, like I'm doing ... problem? :P
I suppose not, if that's the worst-case scenario.
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Head

I'm expecting a new Mac Pro to come anyday now. I have a pro tools 11 installer, which comes with pro tools 10, though now it seems that 10 and Mavericks have some issues. Anyone else using a new-ish mac with pro tools 10?
Old 1st March 2014
Quote:
Well, I might just have to go 11 then. I've seen people online say that they can't uninstall with/without the installer even while trying to remove root folders out of their computers library from pro tools once they go Mavericks. You can't roll back your operating system to mountain lion or lion. These horror stories result in backing up all files manually and reinstalling their OS along with all of their software. What a hassle, I'm glad a backup everything but still, I'd rather not go through the hassle of everything not working when a client shows up and then say ok, wait, I backup everything so just wait several hours until everything is restored!…

That new Avid 11 engine still looks pretty good with how cpu is balanced among the cores better along the software now being 64 bit :/ All that aside, even if Aviddoes goes under, which it very might well do, just like before with digidesign, (not sure if they just got bought out or went under and then the company was purchased) someone will buy the company and the legend will live on. I wonder who would buy Avid if it went under, hmmmm...
Unless you have a Mac that comes with maverick (and therefore doesn't support anything else) "rolling back" is perfectly possible, simple and easy; you just clone your HD to an image, and reinstall that image.

No re-installing software, no fuss.

Easier if you have a desktop with multiple drives, in which case you just install maverick on a new drive and keep the old install, but possible on any machine.
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Unless you have a Mac that comes with maverick (and therefore doesn't support anything else) "rolling back" is perfectly possible, simple and easy; you just clone your HD to an image, and reinstall that image.

No re-installing software, no fuss.

Easier if you have a desktop with multiple drives, in which case you just install maverick on a new drive and keep the old install, but possible on any machine.
Usually when I think of "rolling back" an operating system, I think of it not as cloning drives and just being able to reinstall an older operating system over whatever is there now.

Yesss what you say is true but, doing this with a client when I don't have all the time in the world is going to be a nightmare. Plenty of fuss in a situation like that. Despite having thunderbolt cloned HDDs, I'd rather just not go through the hassle. I guess you could use an application like carbon copy cloner to just boot off of another HDD by holding option when you restart if you really needed to.

At this point I'm running 11 and am now on mavericks :/ I ended up caving in...
Old 2nd March 2014
Quote:
Usually when I think of "rolling back" an operating system, I think of it not as cloning drives and just being able to reinstall an older operating system over whatever is there now.

Yesss what you say is true but, doing this with a client when I don't have all the time in the world is going to be a nightmare. Plenty of fuss in a situation like that. Despite having thunderbolt cloned HDDs, I'd rather just not go through the hassle. I guess you could use an application like carbon copy cloner to just boot off of another HDD by holding option when you restart if you really needed to.

At this point I'm running 11 and am now on mavericks :/ I ended up caving in...
I don't know of any OS ever where you've been able to install an older system over the top of a newer one.

The absolute best way to re-install an old system is to clone from a backup.

If you have a cloned drive ( not an image), as you say you can boot from the clone - or just have a spare system drive in your machine. With an up to date clone drive, I could be up and running again after a drive failure in 5 mins.

It's just the professional solution.
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear addict

no issue here on Mavericks 10.9.2 with the latest pro tools 10,
using RME RayDAT and Steinberg UR824 both with no issues to report. The main reason they're saying it's not compatible is because you can't uninstall it on mavericks. Just clone your OS drive before you install if you're worried it won't work
Old 19th April 2014
Gear interested

I'm struggling with Mavericks and PT 10.3.8, which I just upgraded to from 10.3.6 after MISTAKENLY AND STUPIDLY installing Mavericks. I'm using I'm still using an Mbox2 Pro and while my Mbox is getting a midi signal, no midi is being recorded. Are there midi drivers or something that may need to be upgraded? In Audio/Midi Setup the icon for my Mbox is grayed out. Do I need to ditch my Mbox and use a different interface? Please help, I'm totally stuck! Thank you
Old 20th April 2014
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluBella View Post
I'm struggling with Mavericks and PT 10.3.8, which I just upgraded to from 10.3.6 after MISTAKENLY AND STUPIDLY installing Mavericks. I'm using I'm still using an Mbox2 Pro and while my Mbox is getting a midi signal, no midi is being recorded. Are there midi drivers or something that may need to be upgraded? In Audio/Midi Setup the icon for my Mbox is grayed out. Do I need to ditch my Mbox and use a different interface? Please help, I'm totally stuck! Thank you
Have you tried hitting this button?
Attached Images

Old 26th April 2014
Gear Head

PT 11 with 10 co-install

I'm currently running a 2010 MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard and Pro Tools 9. I plan to purchase Pro Tools 11 with the 10 co-install soon and upgrade my OS to Mavericks (since it's free!). I will most likely use PT 10 more often because of plug-ins. I'm hoping this all will work fine and a few of your posts say that it will! Looks like I will be going for it very soon unless anyone has any problems with that setup? If you have any warnings or advice before I make this move let me know! Thanks.
Old 28th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by che_guitarra View Post
PT11 was designed with Mavericks as the default OSX. It's not backwards compatible with earlier OSX platforms.
According to the Avid compatibility grid there were two Pro tools 11 updates/releases for Mountain Lion before Maverick Os was released. So i,m confused as to why you say its not backward compatible
Pro Tools Version Mac OS X Release Additional Notes
Pro Tools 11.0.0 (initial release) Mountain Lion 10.8.3 - 10.8.4 Pro Tools 10.3.6 co-install supported (Mountain Lion Only)
Pro Tools 11.0.1 Mountain Lion 10.8.3 - 10.8.4 Pro Tools 10.3.6 co-install supported (Mountain Lion Only)
Pro Tools 11.0.2 Mountain Lion 10.8.3 - 10.8.4 Pro Tools 10.3.6 co-install supported (Mountain Lion Only)
Pro Tools 11.0.3 Mavericks 10.9.0

Pro Tools 11 System Requirements
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search