Mojave vs Advanced Audio vs Shure
New Reply
Subscribe
S-O
1st January 2014
Old 1st January 2014
Gear interested

Mojave vs Advanced Audio vs Shure

Hey folks, yet another what microphone should I buy thread!

I have done some extensive searching, and I have boiled it down to Mojave 301fet, Advanced Audio CM47, and Shure KSM44. MAYBE an AT4047 or 4050.

I need workhorse microphones. I bought a pair of Oktava mc012 for OHs, digging them! They worked awesome on acoustic and accordion. But I need another all around mic that I can use on front of kick, mono OH, room mic, male and female vocals, mono acoustic and guitar cabs, upright bass and bass cabs, basically a do it all mic!

Now, that is always hard. But these mics seem to fit the requirements. All have at least 2 polar patterns, so I can use them in many scenarios. They seem to run the range of colored to clean, I am ok with either!

I do a lot of music. Punk rock, hardcore, death metal all the way to reggae, americana, singer songwriter.

I would like to keep it under $1k new, ~$500 used. I can get the KSMs for ~450 and 500 all day. The Mojave I can get for about the same price from a friend of a friend. The Advanced Audio I have no access to, but the price (if they hold up to the hype) I just can't beat.

I generally like the FET vibe, but I could be persuaded to some tube action.

Also, before everyone yells SM7b, I have one on the way!

Current LDC: AT4035, not amazing, but it has gotten me this far!
1st January 2014
Old 1st January 2014
serious amateur

If you're open to other mic companies as well, check out Lauten Audio. I have a pair of Clarions that do all of those things quite well.
1st January 2014
Old 1st January 2014
Gear interested

I'll look into those more! I am always open to suggestions, but I generally try and find used gear, and that can always be a chore.
1st January 2014
Old 1st January 2014
Gear nut

Do you have to have a multi pattern mic? If not, the KSM32 is the definition of workhorse, at about half the price. Do some searches on it, it's pretty much universally loved as a tried and true workhorse.

EDIT Should have read your post closer, I apologize.
S-O
1st January 2014
Old 1st January 2014
Gear interested

I don't need multipattern, but I want one for the next level of flexibility. I have thought about some cardioid only mics, and I could get something a little nicer maybe if I went for that only, but we'll see.

I think I am kinda leaning towards a u47 flavor right now, but probably the FET variety.
3rd January 2014
Old 3rd January 2014
Gear Head

I have an MA200 and the MA201fet, I use them constantly. If you want the other patterns I doubt you could go wrong with an MA300 or a MA301fet. I also just ordered a mic from 12 guage microphones, I don't know what to expect but the demos sounded great and you sure can't beat their prices.
S-O
3rd January 2014
Old 3rd January 2014
Gear interested

I am really leaning towards the Mojave. Jonathan, do you find that the 201 adds good character, probably not as much as the 200, and does it have a very upfront and modern sound? It seems to be the poor man's u47 FET, which is what I am looking for!
3rd January 2014
Old 3rd January 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-O View Post
I am really leaning towards the Mojave. Jonathan, do you find that the 201 adds good character, probably not as much as the 200, and does it have a very upfront and modern sound? It seems to be the poor man's u47 FET, which is what I am looking for!
Yes, I really like the 201 fet on rock vocals, bass cabinets, acoustic guitars and guitar cabinets sometimes. I even used it on an upright bass once and it sounded great. It has a very upfront and direct sound, I compared it to a U87 one time and I found it to be very close.

I haven't tried a U47 fet but I did try a Soundelux ifet7 which some say is close to that. The 201 fet is pretty close to that one, I wish I could find a Soundelux ifet7, that's also a great mic.
S-O
3rd January 2014
Old 3rd January 2014
Gear interested

Excellent. I am that much closer to pulling the trigger!
3rd January 2014
Old 3rd January 2014
Lives for gear

Another vote for the 301 Mojave. I prefer it over almost all of my other mics most of the time. Very versatile. The other contender is the 4047 which is a bit darker and warmer sounding, but the midrange and top end isn't as sweet. Just a little grainy by comparison, but both great mics.
S-O
3rd January 2014
Old 3rd January 2014
Gear interested

Haha I think the Mojave is the one then. I was previously pretty sold on the KSM44, but the clips I have been hearing of the Mojave from youtube, the FET seems quite a bit cleaner than the 300, but I wonder if a tube pre would put it right back in the same sound. I'll try it through some 610s and find out when I get it!
4th January 2014
Old 4th January 2014
Gear Head

The Overstayer pre is also pretty nice, it sounds great with the Mojave mics. It isn't a tube pre but it has a great sound. I know some people don't like the Drawmer 1960 but I thought it also sounded great with an MA200, I should rent one and see how it sounds with my MA201.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search