Login / Register

Adobe Audition Vs Pro Tools
New Reply
Subscribe
jeff_way@yahoo.
29th September 2006
Old 29th September 2006
Gear Head

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff_way@yahoo.
Adobe Audition Vs Pro Tools

I've used both of these and am quite fluent on each. I have to say, I find myself preferring Audition somewhat. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts.
29th September 2006
Old 29th September 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to NesNeedsGear
cool.

but get used to pro tools, especially if u plan on working for hire (mixing, tracking). PT allows for easier transfer of sessions/data, plus it's the "cool" daw to have. the words "i use pro tools" goes a long way.

The only DAW i prefer over PT is Nuendo or Logic.
29th September 2006
Old 29th September 2006
Lives for gear

I'm a bit of an expert on Audition myself. It's no protools replacement, but it's an awesome protools compliment. The spectral editing(y axis is frequency) is unmatched anywhere.

It's an AMAZING mixdown recording program as well. Route your 2bus output to Audition input. You can then aid your mixing by soloing instruments and seeing exactly where their frequency components are. Solo your kick and bass to visually see where you might have some masking occuring.

There's also a pan and phase view where the Yaxis is pan or phase. This is a great view for sorting out some problems.

The multitrack is great for doing something quick, but the feature set isn't as complete as the other standard DAWS. That said, I like it better than wavelab and sound forge as an editor, so a free multitrack environment is added value over those apps.

I've dedicated a laptop as my 2bus recorder. In fact, Audition is one of the few reasons I even have a PC anymore. In the last year I've moved towards the MAC platform. I used to have 4 PCs, now I have 3 MACS and 1 PC. THe PC is relegated to Audition and file storage
29th September 2006
Old 29th September 2006
Lives for gear

I started out using Cool Edit Pro 2.0, (Which was the earlier version of Adobe Audition) and it is in my opinion one of the better audio recording programs I've used. I've used Nuendo as well but it lacks some features that Adobe Audition has. In my opinion Adobe Audition is a better program than Pro Tools. Of course every "professional studio" is using PT but listen to what's being created, for instance "the proof is in the pudding." In other words I can tell when something has been recorded in Pro Tools; it just has a Pro Tools sound to it that is very digital sounding. When I record with Adobe Audition it doesn't have that sound. It sounds like whatever you put into it. Since I record my vocals and high-hats and cymbals to tape my stuff comes out sounding very musical and rich as opposed to the digital, clinical sound I hear from Pro Tools. I like that you can lock effects in Adobe Audition, the wave editing is second to none. Also, as far as cleaning pops and cracks out of your audio there is no better program. Adobe Audition is easily the most underrated and in my opinion the best audio recording software on the market, period.

bcgood
29th September 2006
Old 29th September 2006
Lives for gear

I wouldn't necessarily say it's the best, or that it's "better" than Pro Tools or other programs. Because really all of that stuff is totally subjective, and dependent on how you work, and the things you need, etc. If something doesn't do what you need it to do, then it's not very useful.

But I will say that it might be one of the most instantly "intuitive" interfaces I've ever worked with, in term of tracking and editing. It's great for quick and easy editing and re-arranging things on the fly ... and it allows you to do some very "microscopic" movements and edits a little quicker and easier than a lot of other programs. It's just a great program to track with, and to edit "on-the-fly" with. I use it all the time with the rappers; Cut the first take, then do the add lib. Copy and paste the hook ... punch in the first line of the second hook ... bam! - done ... all that kinda' thing is a breeze.

While I consider it a beast for tracking and editing, unfortunately it's not the best program to mix with -- I would give that distinction to Sony Vegas -- but not the worst either. And it doesn't have any of the sequencing capabilities of something like Pro Tools ... nor is it as "efficient" in it's handling of large amounts of data ... nor is it as "automatable" nor does it have near the professional bells/whistles nor the video sycing capability of something like Nuendo or Pro Tools.

There are some things about it that are really "clunky" and awkward as well, though. So I can see where it might not be ideal for everyone. But what it does well, it does really well. And there really isn't anything that can't be done with it, from the traditional "multitracking" and editing standpoint. I would put this program right up there with Sony Vegas as being two really good reasons to own a PC.

29th September 2006
Old 29th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_unit View Post
I wouldn't necessarily say it's the best, or that it's "better" than Pro Tools or other programs. Because really all of that stuff is totally subjective, and dependent on how you work, and the things you need, etc. If something doesn't do what you need it to do, then it's not very useful.

But I will say that it might be one of the most instantly "intuitive" interfaces I've ever worked with, in term of tracking and editing. It's great for quick and easy editing and re-arranging things on the fly ... and it allows you to do some very "microscopic" movements and edits a little quicker and easier than a lot of other programs. It's just a great program to track with, and to edit "on-the-fly" with. I use it all the time with the rappers; Cut the first take, then do the add lib. Copy and paste the hook ... punch in the first line of the second hook ... bam! - done ... all that kinda' thing is a breeze.

While I consider it a beast for tracking and editing, unfortunately it's not the best program to mix with -- I would give that distinction to Sony Vegas -- but not the worst either. And it doesn't have any of the sequencing capabilities of something like Pro Tools ... nor is it as "efficient" in it's handling of large amounts of data ... nor is it as "automatable" nor does it have near the professional bells/whistles nor the video sycing capability of something like Nuendo or Pro Tools.

There are some things about it that are really "clunky" and awkward as well, though. So I can see where it might not be ideal for everyone. But what it does well, it does really well. And there really isn't anything that can't be done with it, from the traditional "multitracking" and editing standpoint. I would put this program right up there with Sony Vegas as being two really good reasons to own a PC.

I have to disagree with you regarding your comment on automation. I find the automation in Adobe Audition to be second to none. You can change, eq, level, and effects with splines so much easier than anything else I've used. Maybe you’re not familiar with that option? How long have you been using Audition? As far as sequencing goes Logic and or Garage Band are good for that. I actually prefer using an outboard sequencer. One other thing, Audition is rock solid. It has only gone down on me a couple of times after years of use and it automatically asks you if you want to start where you left of when you open it back up. For the world of Microsoft programs, that’s about as good as it gets.

One thing that you said that I do agree with is the fact that Audition is the most intuitive program I've ever recorded with, bar none. I just can't get over the fact that so few professionals out there have ever used this program, it's actually quite sad....

bcgood
30th September 2006
Old 30th September 2006
Lives for gear

I like PTLE better. I find editing to be quicker and more intuitive in PT. I don't like having to switch screens to process a track (even though it's just a matter of hitting F12). I find Audition/Cool Edit's use of the term "real-time plug in" to be a bit of a stretch compared to PT, and for me, adjusting the plug in parameters is easier in PT. But hey, you can change the colors of the tracks in Audition.
30th September 2006
Old 30th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioMoo View Post
I like PTLE better. I find editing to be quicker and more intuitive in PT. I don't like having to switch screens to process a track (even though it's just a matter of hitting F12). I find Audition/Cool Edit's use of the term "real-time plug in" to be a bit of a stretch compared to PT, and for me, adjusting the plug in parameters is easier in PT. But hey, you can change the colors of the tracks in Audition.
You actually don't have to switch screens to process a track. Do you people really know and use this program? If you where fluent with it you should know this stuff...

bcgood
30th September 2006
Old 30th September 2006
Lives for gear

just wanted to chime in.....an Adobe Audition 2.0 user among many others (Reaper , Ardour , SAWStudio)....and yes Audition does have automation.....a quite good one actually !

i definitely feel its in the same leagues as any mastering suite....BIAS, Sound Forge, WaveLab, etc....maybe a tad more versatile...ok....is more versatile... had the chance to really dive into Audition tonight...and it really did live up too what it claims... " audio editing within the Adobe infrastructure".... as mentioned... Auditions stereo spectral editing is phenomenal... and considering its priced below its competition.....it truly is a wonder why more are not adopting it in such a role...granted there are many that give Audtion a run for the money in terms of multi-track recording....Reaper being a big one....it is by all means a worthy app to have in the arsenal for 2bus editing/mastering provided budget can not withstain an ME...

just my two canadian cents

cheers...

two words.....that stands out in this app.......Mastering Rack....

Suffering from one of Lifes greatest atrocities..and one of its greatest triumphs ~ Self Education
30th September 2006
Old 30th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalker View Post
I'm a bit of an expert on Audition myself. It's no protools replacement, but it's an awesome protools compliment. The spectral editing(y axis is frequency) is unmatched anywhere.

It's an AMAZING mixdown recording program as well. Route your 2bus output to Audition input. You can then aid your mixing by soloing instruments and seeing exactly where their frequency components are. Solo your kick and bass to visually see where you might have some masking occuring.

There's also a pan and phase view where the Yaxis is pan or phase. This is a great view for sorting out some problems.

The multitrack is great for doing something quick, but the feature set isn't as complete as the other standard DAWS. That said, I like it better than wavelab and sound forge as an editor, so a free multitrack environment is added value over those apps.

I've dedicated a laptop as my 2bus recorder. In fact, Audition is one of the few reasons I even have a PC anymore. In the last year I've moved towards the MAC platform. I used to have 4 PCs, now I have 3 MACS and 1 PC. THe PC is relegated to Audition and file storage
I'm still with a predominant PC setup here (but I've got two macs and a pb), and like both Audition and PT. I agree that it's a great tool on its own, and I highly recommend it for most people. However, as sleepwalker stated, this application is also an awesome compliment to PT.

Based on price, popularity, and features offered, I strongly suggest that people make sure that they have a good knowledge of Audition in addition to a relative mastery of PT.
30th September 2006
Old 30th September 2006
Lives for gear

Audition compliments Nuendo here.
Matti
30th September 2006
Old 30th September 2006
www.KevWestBeats.com

Send a message via AIM to KevWest Send a message via MSN to KevWest Send a message via Skype™ to KevWest
am I the only person left in the world who doesnt like Cool Edit. The editor is great but I hate recording into it and tracking to it its just messy to me
30th September 2006
Old 30th September 2006
Lives for gear

I use mine as "off line" utility, in practice never record or mix with it.
I think I´ve seen a test of different format conversion programs
and Audition was amongst the better / best, better than Nuendo or PT.
The spectral editing mode is poor mans ReNovator.
Matti
30th September 2006
Old 30th September 2006
Lives for gear

30th September 2006
Old 30th September 2006
Lives for gear

Right!
Btw. For cheap Magix audio cleaning lab has stripped down version of the real
thing. I´ve used the ReNovator several times but not at home.
Cheers
Matti
30th September 2006
Old 30th September 2006
Lives for gear

MATTI

Quote:
For cheap Magix audio cleaning lab has stripped down version of the real
thing. I´ve used the ReNovator several times but not at home.

thank for the heads up on the audio cleaning lab ... 11 is the recent version now...

... im having a look now...not too shabby... ... lol... man i have too much software....

ive never had the chance to use algorithmix renovator... due to pricing... and Audition now has soured me from trying too... but i do believe in the saying "never say never" ..

again thx

cheers...
30th September 2006
Old 30th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post
You actually don't have to switch screens to process a track. Do you people really know and use this program? If you where fluent with it you should know this stuff...

bcgood
I meant that you can't access the Effects pull-down in Multitrack view and process the track (or block) - you have to select it and switch to Waveform view. In PT you just select, go to the AudioSuite pulldown, choose the effect and process - all in the Edit window.
30th September 2006
Old 30th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

BTW, fluency with AA is highly irrelevent for most of the audio world.
Until it comes up...

As a VO talent I never thought my knowledge of IT & networking would come in handy... that is until the session required someone to fix something (you'd think that they would have someone who knew their own IT architecture, no?).

30th September 2006
Old 30th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda117 View Post
Until it comes up...

As a VO talent I never thought my knowledge of IT & networking would come in handy... that is until the session required someone to fix something (you'd think that they would have someone who knew their own IT architecture, no?).

You invoiced them, of course?
30th September 2006
Old 30th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I meant that you can't access the Effects pull-down in Multitrack view and process the track (or block) - you have to select it and switch to Waveform view. In PT you just select, go to the AudioSuite pulldown, choose the effect and process - all in the Mixer window.
That's not true though you can add eq, effects and pan all on an individual track in the multitrack view. It sounds like you may just be more comfortable with Pro Tools. I think that's the biggest ro******* for most engineers, they fear what they don't know and many really don't know how to use Adobe Audition...

I stand by what I said earlier, I think Adobe Audition is easily one of the best multrack programs on the market, definitely one of the most underatted, that's for shure!

bcgood
30th September 2006
Old 30th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, I'm sitting here at work right now with Cool Edit Pro 2.0 right in front of me and I know you can do that, but if you're trying to process a lot without bogging down and get it done yesterday, it helps to just use the Effects feature.

Yeah, it was a lot easier to learn and it's a lot less clunky.

I have to use CE/AA because I work in radio (I use PT at home); the reason they use it is because it's cheap and it runs on their cheap PCs...not because it's any better than any other program. I'm not afraid of it, and in spite of your best efforts you can't honestly say I don't know how to use it.

I think it's a safe bet you don't know Pro Tools. How about tape? You pretty good with china markers and razor blades?

I guess my two cents would be to not say a program can't do something unless it really can't do it, otherwise it kind of blows your credibility. All the things you say Adobe Audition can't do, it point blank can; again fluency with the program is important before you lead others astray saying Audition can't do this or that.

One other thing I should mention is that I'm not a big fan of plug ins in general. I really prefer to use outboard gear. Most of my favorite albums where recorded without the use of plug ins...

As far as Pro Tools goes I've used both LE and HD and judging by my ears the resulting recordings sound like PT which is not a good thing to me, (Refer to my earlier comments regarding PT's sonic characteristics).

As far as tape goes I use a Super VHS to put tracks to tape these days so I'm happy to report no use of razor blades!

Bottom line, don’t by the new M-Box “pro.” Save up some more money and buy a Universal Audio 2192 and use Adobe Audition to record, and Yamaha mixers/8-tracks for drums!

Cheers!

bcgood
30th September 2006
Old 30th September 2006
Gear nut

Hi bcgood,
Although I appreciate your love for Audio, but as a user since Cooledit 98 the earliest version of this app, I can only say that Adobe finally got it right in version 2.0. What I mean by getting it "right" is that it fixed most of it's bugs that most people "really" use in seriosu recording, mixing, and waveform editing. Before v.2.0, it's quite buggy and unstable. No, it's a good app for what it can do, but if you are serious about professional recording, there are reasons why people prefer to use proTools (or even the perpetual-beta Nuendo). I love Audition and I highly recommend people to use it because it is practically one of the easiest program to use.
1st October 2006
Old 1st October 2006
Lives for gear

Each to there own I suppose. In a just world I think Adobe Audition would be just as if not more popular than Pro Tools, but what do I know... One thing I will say. I still do use Nuendo for some features. It has a great quantization feature that I use to tighten things up from time to time.

bcgood
2nd October 2006
Old 2nd October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post
I have to disagree with you regarding your comment on automation. I find the automation in Adobe Audition to be second to none. You can change, eq, level, and effects with splines so much easier than anything else I've used. Maybe you’re not familiar with that option?

If splines are your thing, and if you've found a way to make that work for you in your world, then cool.

I personally don't mind working that way, but if I had my choice, I might opt for another method. No biggie.

3rd October 2006
Old 3rd October 2006
Lives for gear

Ive used a number of editing programs such as reason, cubase, wavelab, audition 1 and 2 all with an exsessive amount of extera plugins. firstly, Im no pro by anymeans. I always find myself turning back to audion 1.5. Cubase is ok.. it just gets to be a pain in the ass to me though. Audition is easy to operate... editing waves and multie tracking.. really all i do..(its hiphop). after 1 year of using it im just getting into the spectrum stuff ( if anyone wants to give me any tips on this id be very happy to learn . ) theres some stuff i still havnt been able to find.. like phase reverse.. and shelf cutoffs.. but im sure its there somewhere..

unfortunatly i havnt used protools.. as some one told me id need a dr rythm or somthing to really get proper use out of it? so i never bothered.. but now my mate got one so i might suggest it too him.
5th October 2006
Old 5th October 2006
Gear maniac

I feel the CEP love too

The most intuitive application I've ever used. Like MS Word..but for audio. It can do a lot more than most people using it need.
MrT
23rd February 2007
Old 23rd February 2007
MrT
Gear addict

I'm sad to see more people don't use Audition. If you don't need MIDI it's the best software I've ever used. It's got everything you could want in a wave editor and mulit-tracker.
23rd February 2007
Old 23rd February 2007
Lives for gear

It's pretty cool. I like Cubase better though.

I will admit that I haven't played with Audition enough to make a fair comparison. The thing you seem to missing is that people learn how to use one, they like it and they usually don't switch unless another just strikes them for some reason.

Or someone demands Pro Tools.

One simply cannot use them all enough to find out for sure which would be best for them. You can't spend 2-3 week producing / tracking / mixing on every daw in existance.

Samp/Sequoia, Cubase/Nuendo, Performer, Saw, Audition, PT, Reaper, Sonar, Tracktion, Ardour, Vegas, Acid, Logic, PowerTracks, Ableton Live, N-Track, Garage Band and the list goes on and on.

Unless you have full working knowledge of all of these daws and can speak about them then just be happy you like Audition. Pick any one from that list and I'll find a user who will swear it's the greatest thing since Jesus.

For certain - 90% of them will have a feature or a workflow that the others won't and will be a point of contention in threads like this.

Ardour looks pretty cool btw.

One program I could not live without it Acid. What happens if you want to chage the key of a song but you've already recorded it? You put the guitar track and bass (and keys) in Acid and change the key. It works great.

An Acid user would say "...Cool Edit can't do that as well..." and off we go.
23rd February 2007
Old 23rd February 2007
Gear maniac

Ive used Adobe Audion pretty extensively working at a radio station. As a multi track recorder/mixing program I dont think its as good as Pro Tools, Cubase/Nuendo etc However as a audio editor it is very good & it is fantastic for editing Voice Over's - due to the ability to use one touch commands. Ive always seen it as a audio editor that can do basic multitrack rec ording/mixing. I still prefer to use Wavelab for mastering applications over Audition, but when it comes to editing voice overs thats where Audition shines. Its also no suprise that a number of radio stations I know use this app because of this feature (& its cheap).
24th February 2007
Old 24th February 2007
Lives for gear

Im a protools user. I feel that whatever DAW works for you from the cheapest to most expensive is all gravy. as long as it serves its purpose and gets whatever editing, tracking, mixing you need to get done.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search