Tascam US-2000 recording problem
New Reply
Subscribe
Oyster
29th September 2013
Old 29th September 2013
Gear interested

Tascam US-2000 recording problem

Hi - I'm very new at this so hopefully I'm doing something insanely stupid, but I recently upgraded from a TASCAM US-200 to a US-2000 and I can't seem to get any recording level on my PC (Win7 64bit). Everything else is working.

Details: Guitar plugged into input 7, phantom power off, monitor on mono, #7 volume at 50%, Phones/monitor/computer/input volumes all at 50%. I see input source level LEDs without issue. In the back, usb to the computer, and two monitor outputs to powered monitors. Computer, audio devices, playback and recording, all devices disabled except for Playback-Speakers-TASCAM US-2000 default device, and Recording-Line In-TASCAM US-2000 default device. All other USB devices except keyboard and mouse are unplugged from the computer. I get no level in the recording tab when I play the guitar, though I do see perfect levels on the TASCAM front panel. The US-200 works with no issue. I can simply swap out the usb cable from the US-2000 to the US-200 and play guitar into that device and I do get a level in the recording tab as expected (the audio devices simply auto-switch).

I tried TASCAM support and a week later they emailed me back asking me to call them during business hours when I'm in front of my equipment. Well, that's a problem because I have this whole job thing...

Please help - I'm going insane.
29th September 2013
Old 29th September 2013
Lives for gear

You didn't mention which DAW your using. If your trying to record to a program like Audacity, I don't think anything but input 1&2 will be available.
In Sonar after you install the ASIO drivers and in ASIO mode the input list will show the inputs in pairs. So

Tascam 2000 Left 1 = channel 1
Tascam 2000 Right 1 = channel 2
Tascam 2000 stereo 1 = a stereo track will be recorded from this pair.

My Tascam us1641 shipped with Cubase LE, it uses a similar input list. Is that what your using? And also isn't channel 7 a mike XLR input? Are you using a pre amp or a DI box?
Oyster
29th September 2013
Old 29th September 2013
Gear interested

Well, I'm using Ableton but I believe I've isolated the issue to be before the DAW in the chain. I'm testing now without it running at all. I'm not getting any level in Windows->Control Panel->Sound->Recording. I do get levels there when I use the us-200.

I'm not using a separate preamp or DI box. My understanding (and the way the us-200 worked) is that the audio goes over USB into the PC.
29th September 2013
Old 29th September 2013
Lives for gear

First, I'd uninstall the US-200 drivers and reboot.

Then install the US-2000 drivers, then confirm that you're assigning the proper tracks/device in Ableton.
Oyster
18th October 2013
Old 18th October 2013
Gear interested

Got TASCAM support on the phone eventually and worked it out in 10 minutes... The bottom line is I don't know how to use Ableton, and I was configured for recording inputs 1 & 2 instead of 7 & 8. The thing that confused me, I think, is that the windows audio devices panel showed me levels from the US-200, which I wasn't getting from the US-2000 - I think also because by default it's only looking at channels 1 & 2 (which is what the US-200 was outputting on). The support guy said it's a pretty common issue, and suggested whenever you get a new device to always start with channel 1 & 2 when trying to get it to work... Thanks all for the help!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search